Will Cold Crashing Affect Oak Absorption?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Cold Crashing Reduce Oak Character?

• Yes, it will.

• No, it'll be the same.

• Oak? That's just naaaasty!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Evan!

Reaction score
I'm forgoing secondary on my recent RIS...reason being that I made it for my brother's graduation present, which is May 10th, and we leave for France next Sunday for 2 weeks, so it needs to be bottled before I leave. As such, I'm going to cold-crash it for a couple days just prior to bottling. Now, the wrinkle is that I added 1.5oz of oak chips this morning---and I'm wondering whether cold-crashing it, maybe next Wednesday-Thursday, for a few days will reduce the amount of oak character that's imparted on the beer? What say ye?

Keeping the beer at a consistent cold temperature certainly won't do it any favors circulating in and out of the oak.

I've never oaked a beer, only wine. But if I remember correctly, short term oaking is best at a warmer temperature. Longer term is best done cool.

I am not sure, though.

Soak them in some hot (but not boiling) water for a while before adding to the fermenter. (add the water too!) This will extract quite a bit of oak flavor from the chips/powder/cubes. his probably is the equivalent of letting the beer sit with the oak for several weeks.

What kind (toasted or untoasted) are you using?

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Soak them in some hot (but not boiling) water for a while before adding to the fermenter. (add the water too!) This will extract quite a bit of oak flavor from the chips/powder/cubes. his probably is the equivalent of letting the beer sit with the oak for several weeks.

What kind (toasted or untoasted) are you using?

Yeah, that's actually exactly what I did (per JZ). I was surprised to hear him say that soaking them in whiskey or vodka won't sanitize them, as that has always been my method...but I went with pouring near-boiling water over them this time.

I'm using medium toast american oak.

The more toasted they are the longer you'll have to let it mellow.

You want to make a tea but not to hot or it will extract mostly tannins. Like grain, as long as you soak around 170 for a while it will sanitize anyway.

Back