Local Beer Suggestions - West Coast of Florida

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

botigol

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Heading to the west coast of Florida for a family vacation. I may or may not be able to work in actual brewery visits, but definitely want to grab local brews. I normally go for beers that are mildly malty, balanced or mildly hoppy, but have recently enjoyed some APAs and IPAs since they weren't super bitter (despite their IBU ratings).

We will be staying on Siesta Key, but making a day trip to Crystal River, as well as visiting Myakka River State Park and Caspersen Beach in Venice. We might head up to Ft De Soto in St Pete one day, but that decision will be made later.

Cigar City seems to be the "don't miss" spot, from what I have read. Is their Jai Alai pretty bitter or a more balanced IPA? How are their other selections?

Is Copp Brewery in Crystal River worth the stop?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Jai Alai is beautifully balanced glass of IPA nectar. The CCB taproom has many scrumptious beers that you may not see anywhere else.

I don't know if you have already gone but if you have time first magnitude in Gainesville is great. I realize it's not quite on the west coast buts it is a great local brew.

Not yet; leaving tomorrow morning! Gainesville looks a bit out of range for this trip. Thanks for the thought though!

Dunedin Brewery (Florida's oldest Craft Brewery)
Big Storm, Odessa
ESB, Tampa
Stilt House, Palm Harbor
3 Daughters, St pete
Barley Mow, Largo
Mad Beach Brewery, Madeira Beach
Green Bench
Rapp, Seminole
Some of these are on the beer trail, some aren't...

Hofbrauhaus in St Pete (not a brewery but good stop)

Dunedin Brewery (Florida's oldest Craft Brewery)
Big Storm, Odessa
ESB, Tampa
Stilt House, Palm Harbor
3 Daughters, St pete
Barley Mow, Largo
Mad Beach Brewery, Madeira Beach
Green Bench
Rapp, Seminole
Some of these are on the beer trail, some aren't...

Hofbrauhaus in St Pete (not a brewery but good stop)

Have you been to the Hofbrauhaus? Thoughts?

I've been meaning to get down there. Sounds like FUN.

We were invited to their soft opening (wife is a travel agent, I'm an airline pilot) it is a great experience, they have gone to great lengths to replicate the Munich HBH.

Been to MUC many times, and I'm very happy to have a HBH in St Pete.

Back