Belgian Tripel Tripel Karmeliet Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my updated recipe, which I'm going to brew on Wednesday. I might supplement some of the flaked wheat and oats for wheat malt and malted oats, like the CSI recipe suggests. I'm not sure how much of a difference it'll make though.

(5.5 Gallon Batch)
8.5LBs Pilsner Malt
4LBs Flaked Wheat
8oz Flaked Oats
4oz Flaked Barley
2Lbs Clear Candi Sugar

.5oz Styrian Goldings (90)
.5oz Styrian Goldings (45)
1oz Saaz (15)
1oz Saaz (5)
2oz French Strisslespalt (DH)

1.5oz Fresh Sweet Orange Peel (5)
2 Star Anise (5)
.5oz Crushed Coriander (5)

Yeast?

Mash at 154 for 90 minutes, 75% efficiency. Ferment for 3 weeks in primary at 74 degrees. Secondary for 2 months at 56 degrees (temp of my basement).
OG: 1.079
FG: 1.015
ABV: 8.40%
SRM: 4.0
IBU: 21.2

I started researching some things this morning and here's what I've found: I'm not sure if you're research included BLAM but here it is for reference.

From BLAM: It's a combination of two yeasts. Could be at the same time. Could be a primary fermenter and then one for bottle conditioning. It doesn't say.

OG: 1.081
ABV: 8
Attenuation 84%
IBU: 20
Malts: Pilsner, Wheat, Oats, Unmalted barley, wheat, and oats.
Adjuncts: Sucrose
Spices: Not specific, Coriander and others
Yeasts: 2 unknown
ferment: 1 wk 75 secondary 4 weeks 32
Refermentation in bottle and use hard water adjusted only for PH.

I guess one of the reasons I'm not certain WLP530 is exact is the Flavor profile on some sites that says their is hints of banana vanilla. I don't really pick that up with 530 at least in the beers I've made with it and this beer I made is strong on the citrus and spice.

However, I read that WLP550 has a banana profile and has been used in other Karmeleit clones and one particular I read here on this site uses it. Could this be a better match?

Good luck with brew day this week.

I started researching some things this morning and here's what I've found: I'm not sure if you're research included BLAM but here it is for reference.

From BLAM: It's a combination of two yeasts. Could be at the same time. Could be a primary fermenter and then one for bottle conditioning. It doesn't say.

I guess one of the reasons I'm not certain WLP530 is exact is the Flavor profile on some sites that says their is hints of banana vanilla. I don't really pick that up with 530 at least in the beers I've made with it and this beer I made is strong on the citrus and spice.

However, I read that WLP550 has a banana profile and has been used in other Karmeleit clones and one particular I read here on this site uses it. Could this be a better match?

Good luck with brew day this week.

I saw that in BLAM. I don't have the setup for cold aging so I'm just doing the primary fermentation at 75 degrees, then a secondary at my basement temp, which is around 56 degrees right now. That might mean that I'm never able to really get this right. We'll see... I ended up buying Wyeast Forbidden Fruit for my next round. It's what the CSI recipe calls for and after asking around about that yeast strain it sounds like it could be right. I also split the 4lbs of wheat between malted and flaked. I'll post my first thoughts after fermentation begins on Wednesday/Thursday.

I brewed today, my third try at this clone. I made a 1.5L starter of Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit. Since I upped the amount of sugar, I compensated by increasing my mash temperature to 154 from 152. I tend to get high attenuation so I'd like to get around 75% this go around instead of 85%, like I got before. I did end up stealing a few ideas from the CSI recipe.

5.5G Batch
OG 1.079
FG 1.015
ABV: 8.53%
SRM: 4.1
IBU: 23.2
Mash Temp: 154
Mash Time: 90 Minutes
Boil Time: 90 Minutes
Fermentation Temp: 75 Degrees for 3 Weeks, Secondary 56 Degrees for 2 Months (temp of my basement)

8.75LBs Pilsner
2LBs Wheat Malt
2LBs Flaked Wheat
.25LBs Flaked Oats
.25LBs Oat Malt
.25LBs Flaked Barley
1.5LBs Sugar (FO)

.5oz Styrian Goldings (90)
.5oz Styrian Goldings (45)
1oz Saaz (15)
1oz Saaz (5)

1.5oz Fresh Orange Zest (5)
.5oz Crushed Coriander (5)
2 Star Anise (5)

I'll post results in a three weeks when I transfer to secondary.

I did taste it. It seemed dry but the more accurate test will be when it's cold and carbed. I have a stir plate and TK in my fridge so maybe I'll try your idea. However, the Bosteels website says TK has a FG of 1.016.

I was looking again at the CSI recipe since you were highlighting the flaws in their gravity information. If I had to guess, I'd say the reason they think the FG is 1.012 has to do with BLAM's figures on OG and AA%, 1.081 and 84% respectively. Applying 84% AA to 1.081 gets you to 1.012 (and as you pointed out 9 % ABV).

I went ahead and measured a TK and sure enough it came out to 1.015. Figuring in measurement error, it's likely the same as you mention TK's website.

As you mention, I don't think the exact OG/FG numbers by themselves matter that much. But I'm looking at them for a clue to the yeast being used. Forgetting about the bottle re-fermentation since it probably has minimal influence, and trusting both the published FG and ABV numbers (1.016 and 8.4%) would indicate that the OG is around 1.079, making an AA of about 78.5%. While that would seem a little high for the numbers published for 720/3463, I'd bet if given optimal conditions that strain could easily do that, especially since there's 1.5 lbs of sugar in these recipes. I've also found listed AA% numbers for yeasts to be in the low end. E.g. I've had 3711 ferment out to 90%AA without any special treatment.

It's also possible that Bosteels uses a strain that isn't available from a commercial source. I'll be really curious to hear how your latest attempt with 3463 turns out.

I'm gearing up for my own attempt now. And one thing I may experiment with is licorice root instead of star anise. But I might start with a small stovetop batch just to see what effect it has.

Hex, great work! I'm curious too to find out how 3463 does for flavor and AA. It's been fermenting at 75 degrees since brew day. Both the CSI recipe and BLAM suggest that temp. After reading more about 3463 I'm convinced it's the closest yeast we'll get to what Bosteels actually uses. Since the recipe doesn't incude any crystal malts, and calls for 1.5lbs of sugar, I think 3463 will attenuate to the high side. I did mash at 154 to compensate. According to BeerSmith, with 3463, I'll get 79.8% AA. I did get a OG of 1.079.

Hi!

I want to ask you question about your recipe. first of all You have a batch size, which mean at the end of fermantation you have 5.5 gallons beer or you used 5.5 gallons water? Thank you

Thank you! :) I want to use your recipe, maybe some addition or not? I am a new guy for homebrewing. I love tripel karmeliet. I want to ask you questions about it.

1) How much water did you use for this process?
2) You said "Mash at 151 degrees." at the end of the 90 minutes boiling or during the boiling?
3) you said primary fermantation was 28 days, is it too long; wb secondary fermantation and you added anything in this process, yeast or something?
4) I have Safbrew T-58 and Safbrew Abbaye which yeast I should use for tripel karmeliet or you want to suggest yeastabout it, thank you

Thank you! :) I want to use your recipe, maybe some addition or not? I am a new guy for homebrewing. I love tripel karmeliet. I want to ask you questions about it.

1) How much water did you use for this process?
2) You said "Mash at 151 degrees." at the end of the 90 minutes boiling or during the boiling?
3) you said primary fermantation was 28 days, is it too long; wb secondary fermantation and you added anything in this process, yeast or something?
4) I have Safbrew T-58 and Safbrew Abbaye which yeast I should use for tripel karmeliet or you want to suggest yeastabout it, thank you

Mashing is a separate process that must occur before boiling. It's an All-Grain process. Are you an extract brewer?

no no I am an all grain brewer for that reason I asked those question

Thank you! I want to use your recipe, maybe some addition or not? I am a new guy for homebrewing. I love tripel karmeliet. I want to ask you questions about it.

"1) How much water did you use for this process?
4) I have Safbrew T-58 and Safbrew Abbaye which yeast I should use for tripel karmeliet or you want to suggest yeastabout it, thank you"

please can you say me firstly before boiling, how much water did you use?

Just a quick update. I dry hopped my latest batch two weeks ago and reracked it to the keg yesterday. It's currently force carbing. I'll take a few pics and have a more in depth analysis tomorrow when I take the first glass. The final gravity is 1.012 giving it an ABV of 8.9%. It's higher than TK but within the acceptable realm. It's got some sweetness and noticeable orange and floral notes. The yeast (Wyeast Forbidden Fruit) is definitely closer to the correct strain than Ardennes giving it that nice Belgian fruity yeast flavor but with minimal banana esters. One thing I can say, regardless of whether this beer is close to TK or not, it's going to be the best batch of the three I've brewed in search of this clone. I don't want to put the cart in front of the horse, but this has a chance to be one of my best batches period. It's going to be really good!

WLP500 will make a very fruity tripel. It also doesn't attenuate quite as low as some others. I have used this yeast while going for a golden strong, and ended up with a beautiful tripel instead, with some nice fruitiness and a bit of sweet at the end. Not a bad choice for this clone, just had a Karmeliet this evening. :)

Just keep the temperature under 70 F to reduce the phenols.

Just a quick update. I dry hopped my latest batch two weeks ago and reracked it to the keg yesterday. It's currently force carbing. I'll take a few pics and have a more in depth analysis tomorrow when I take the first glass. The final gravity is 1.012 giving it an ABV of 8.9%. It's higher than TK but within the acceptable realm. It's got some sweetness and noticeable orange and floral notes. The yeast (Wyeast Forbidden Fruit) is definitely closer to the correct strain than Ardennes giving it that nice Belgian fruity yeast flavor but with minimal banana esters. One thing I can say, regardless of whether this beer is close to TK or not, it's going to be the best batch of the three I've brewed in search of this clone. I don't want to put the cart in front of the horse, but this has a chance to be one of my best batches period. It's going to be really good!

So what's verdict? :)

Sorry for the delay. The verdict is good. Overall the beer is much closer to the real Tripel Karmeliet than my previous two attempts. Forbidden Fruit is probably as close to a match in terms of the yeast strain as we can get and leagues better than Ardennes. The only issue with my batch is due to my lack of patience. I should have allowed it to secondary for the full two months. If I had done that it would have been pretty darn close to TK. Regardless, this is a very fruity, delicious tripel worth brewing.

hey all! how did these attempts turn out? recently discovered this beer and love it! what yeast did you all use and what temps did you ferment at? the spices seem heavy, as most Belgian Brewers seem to use them sparingly and/or rely on the yeast to impart the spicy/citrusy flavors. great thread, interested in what worked and didn't.

figures...i asked the question after the 3rd page in the thread and didn't read the rest of it. my bad.

my goal is to brew this in the next week or so and i will report back with my attempt. still inter steps in any advice...i have a fermentation chamber and will be able to place this in a secondary for a while at 34 degrees F, sounds like that may be beneficial.

Much later than I originally predicted, but i finally got around to brewing this yesterday. My recipe uses the same grain bill and sugar proportions as the CSI recipe, but then uses jrfehon's advice on hop schedule. Of course the amounts look a little wacky, but that's because of the scaling OG to be correct (1.079), my desired volumes and system efficiency. I started with 1 oz dried sweet orange peel I had on hand, then read OPs advice on using fresh orange zest, so I threw in about 1.5 oz fresh orange zest in addition to the dried peel. I may have overdone it, because the fermentation chamber smells like an orchard! I'm sure it will subside over time. I also subbed licorice root for star anise. Lesson learned: licorice root is not good for chugger pumps!

I started fermentation at 68 F and it has freely risen to 75 F where I set my fermentation chamber to limit/cool. My only major concern with this so far is that due to stirplate malfunction, I probably underpitched. We'll see if that matters much.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.079 SG
Estimated Color: 4.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 19.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 66.50 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs 1.9 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 53.3 %
2 lbs 4.5 oz Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 13.3 %
1 lbs 11.4 oz Oats, Malted (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 10.0 %
1 lbs 2.2 oz Barley, Flaked (Briess) (1.7 SRM) Grain 4 6.7 %
9.1 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.3 %
9.1 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 6 3.3 %
1 lbs 11.4 oz Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 7 10.0 %
10.91 g Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 90.0 mi Hop 8 6.7 IBUs
10.91 g Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 45.0 mi Hop 9 5.8 IBUs
21.82 g Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 4.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Licorice Root (Boil 15.0 mins) Spice 11 -
21.82 g Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 1.9 IBUs
2.50 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 13 -
0.50 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 14 -
1.0 pkg Forbidden Fruit (Wyeast Labs #3463) [124 Yeast 15 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 17 lbs 1.6 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 35.53 qt of water at 159.9 F 152.1 F 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Just tapped this last week. It's been in the keg for just about a month now. I tasted a glass by itself the first night and it seemed to me to be really close. So I setup a triangle test with the real KT for both my wife and I the next day. I picked out the odd one and my wife didn't. To be honest, I had a hard time picking the odd one, it wasn't obvious. After lots more tasting, I find the main difference is that the real KT is still slightly more floral. Could be my lack of any dry hopping. The clone didn't taste excessively citrus/orange like I'd feared and I can't say the licorice is anything overt either.

I could try dry hopping in the keg to see if that's the lack of floral character. But also wondering now if there's something else like heather or lavender in the real KT.

12LB Pilsner Malt
2LB Wheat Malt
.25LB Flaked Oats
.25LB Flaked Barley
1LB Sugar

.5oz Sweet Orange Peel (5 Min.)
.5oz Coriander (5 min.)
1 Star Anis (5 min.)

Mash at 151 degrees.

.5oz Styrian Goldings (90 min.)
.5oz Styrian Goldings (45 min.)
1oz Saaz (15 min.)
1oz Saaz (5 min.)

After a lot of research, I put together this clone recipe for Tripel Karmeliet. Here's what we know about this beer: They use three grains - oats, barley and wheat - both malted and raw. Since I don't have a setup for raw I used only malted grains. They use Styrian Goldings for bittering and Saaz for flavor and aroma with a total of 20 IBUs. They also referment in the bottle. I kegged so that is a step I omitted. After brewing this beer I realized three things: 1. My recipe is not citrusy enough. The next time I brew this I'm going to up the sweet orange peel to 1oz or 1.5oz. I think it could also use more coriander, maybe 1oz. 2. It should be dry hopped with Saaz, not much but some, maybe 2oz. 3. With all that being said, my clone is almost exact (see picture). If you love this beer, like me, you should try brewing this recipe and report back with results. My clone is really close, maybe a 7.5 out of a perfect 10. With your help we can achieve a perfect clone. Are you with me?

What is the pound of sugar for? sorry to ask

The simple answer is Belgian tradition. But deeper than that, it's to make the beer more "drinkable". Beers with such high gravity can end up having dense mouthfeel and higher residual sweetness. Because the sugar (sucrose) is a simpler sugar than maltose, it can be more fully fermented, resulting is a lighter mouthful and drier beer.

Hex - in regards to the orange peel you used, was it fresh peel, or the dried stuff you can buy in home brew shops? Or was it zest?

Also, you used Wyeast forbidden fruit (3463) as well? Did you think your fermentation temps were about right for that yeast?

I have been working on a clone of this as well - getting closer but still fairly far away. I haven't used any spices yet, because I have been trying to nail down the base beer first. I too have always felt that there is some lavender in the aroma - not sure if this is a yeast product or if they add lavender. I have seen some lavender honey at whole foods, maybe I'll give that a try as a sub for some of the sugar next time.

Thanks everyone for posting your results - hopefully we can get close to the real thing with a group effort!

JG

this is awesome work...hands down my favorite Belgian beer...finally got to try it as a 750mL after it won the world beer award in 2008, and once found it on tap at a restaurant too...couldn't believe it...will be brewing this soon!
I had no idea it had orange peel in it!

Hex - in regards to the orange peel you used, was it fresh peel, or the dried stuff you can buy in home brew shops? Or was it zest?

Also, you used Wyeast forbidden fruit (3463) as well? Did you think your fermentation temps were about right for that yeast?

I have been working on a clone of this as well - getting closer but still fairly far away. I haven't used any spices yet, because I have been trying to nail down the base beer first. I too have always felt that there is some lavender in the aroma - not sure if this is a yeast product or if they add lavender. I have seen some lavender honey at whole foods, maybe I'll give that a try as a sub for some of the sugar next time.

Thanks everyone for posting your results - hopefully we can get close to the real thing with a group effort!

JG

I used a combination of 1 oz dried sweet orange peel from the LHBS (the kind broken into little bits) and about 1.5 oz of fresh orange zest.

I'd say my temp profile for the 3463 was probably typical for a tripel. I pitched at 68F after a solid dose of O2 and let it free rise (limited it to 76F with active cooling). 75F is the upper limit for that yeast. When it stopped self heating, I began heating it to 73F to help it finish and clean up. After about two weeks in the fermenter I sampled for taste and noticed it was pretty turbid, so I crash cooled it.

Due to a relatively old pack of 3463 (4 mos) and some stir plate troubles, I probably underpitched.

One difference I noticed is that the clone was a tad more phenolic and that seemed to increased with age. I wonder if that would would have been diminished with a proper pitch.

I am going to try to make this clone to be put in a 10 gallon barrel from corsair Distillery I picked up. Corsair had used the barrel twice... once for rum, and the second time for their barrel-aged gin.

I know what I end up with won't be a direct clone, but I like the flavor of Tripel Karmeliet, and think it will be a nice base beer to pick up the extra botanical flavors from the gin that was in the barrel, and a nice light color to start off with, so any dark color it gets will be from the barrel, not the grains.

Wish me luck.

I am going to try to make this clone to be put in a 10 gallon barrel from corsair Distillery I picked up. Corsair had used the barrel twice... once for rum, and the second time for their barrel-aged gin.

I know what I end up with won't be a direct clone, but I like the flavor of Tripel Karmeliet, and think it will be a nice base beer to pick up the extra botanical flavors from the gin that was in the barrel, and a nice light color to start off with, so any dark color it gets will be from the barrel, not the grains.

Wish me luck.

Good luck! It does sound like a fun experiment. Please let us know how it turns out.

I'm looking for brew this beer the next weekend with wyeast 3463, I noticed a big difference between the mash temp used in the recipe writed I'm this thread and the mash temp used in the csi's recipe
The recipe if this thread callscalls for a single step at 154F
Csivs recipe call for a multi stepstep
122F 45 min
147 60 min
162 20min
170 15 min

There is a big differce in the sacc temp: 154 vs 147 + 162
I think that after 60 min at 147F I'll got a more fermentable wort!
The yeast are different but according with mrmalty is the same strain!
So what mash is preferable?
Thanks

I'm looking for brew this beer the next weekend with wyeast 3463, I noticed a big difference between the mash temp used in the recipe writed I'm this thread and the mash temp used in the csi's recipe
The recipe if this thread callscalls for a single step at 154F
Csivs recipe call for a multi stepstep
122F 45 min
147 60 min
162 20min
170 15 min

There is a big differce in the sacc temp: 154 vs 147 + 162
I think that after 60 min at 147F I'll got a more fermentable wort!
The yeast are different but according with mrmalty is the same strain!
So what mash is preferable?
Thanks

I think you'll want to go with 154 degrees. TK is a fairly sweet tripel so 147 will leave you with a dry beer, especially considering all the Belgian candi sugar in the recipe.

I think you'll want to go with 154 degrees. TK is a fairly sweet tripel so 147 will leave you with a dry beer, especially considering all the Belgian candi sugar in the recipe.

thanks! i'm heating the water for the mash:)

terrible efficiency today! (67%) and i can't understand why... the average efficiency of the last batch is around 78%... so i reached 1075 as OG!

however i hope in a great tripel, i'll post the results, thanks for sharing your test/recipe!

How are we doing with the recipe adjustment lads?

Im seriously thinking about giving this a try as I'm absolute fan of this beer

Thank you all for the information you've shared. Keep up the great work! I love this beer so much its inspired me to try brewing for the first time. Fortunately I have an experienced friend (microbiologist too!) to help me with it. I'll post what we try out once we get underway.

Much later than I originally predicted, but i finally got around to brewing this yesterday. My recipe uses the same grain bill and sugar proportions as the CSI recipe, but then uses jrfehon's advice on hop schedule. Of course the amounts look a little wacky, but that's because of the scaling OG to be correct (1.079), my desired volumes and system efficiency. I started with 1 oz dried sweet orange peel I had on hand, then read OPs advice on using fresh orange zest, so I threw in about 1.5 oz fresh orange zest in addition to the dried peel. I may have overdone it, because the fermentation chamber smells like an orchard! I'm sure it will subside over time. I also subbed licorice root for star anise. Lesson learned: licorice root is not good for chugger pumps!

I started fermentation at 68 F and it has freely risen to 75 F where I set my fermentation chamber to limit/cool. My only major concern with this so far is that due to stirplate malfunction, I probably underpitched. We'll see if that matters much.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.079 SG
Estimated Color: 4.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 19.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 66.50 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs 1.9 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 53.3 %
2 lbs 4.5 oz Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 13.3 %
1 lbs 11.4 oz Oats, Malted (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 10.0 %
1 lbs 2.2 oz Barley, Flaked (Briess) (1.7 SRM) Grain 4 6.7 %
9.1 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.3 %
9.1 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 6 3.3 %
1 lbs 11.4 oz Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 7 10.0 %
10.91 g Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 90.0 mi Hop 8 6.7 IBUs
10.91 g Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 45.0 mi Hop 9 5.8 IBUs
21.82 g Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 4.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Licorice Root (Boil 15.0 mins) Spice 11 -
21.82 g Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 1.9 IBUs
2.50 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 13 -
0.50 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 14 -
1.0 pkg Forbidden Fruit (Wyeast Labs #3463) [124 Yeast 15 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 17 lbs 1.6 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 35.53 qt of water at 159.9 F 152.1 F 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

I am planning on making a go of this on Monday. Is this the version that is looking most promising so far? Also, is there any sub for oat malt or do i need to try to track some down? And what does the oat malt vs another malt , or say, flaked oats add to the recipe?
Cheers!

I am planning on making a go of this on Monday. Is this the version that is looking most promising so far? Also, is there any sub for oat malt or do i need to try to track some down? And what does the oat malt vs another malt , or say, flaked oats add to the recipe?
Cheers!

That's a really hard question to answer since we haven't exchanged beers. It's possible that others are closer than my attempt or vice versa. The only "data" point I have is are the triangle tests I performed, but there are way too few samples to conclude anything. Next time I brew it I'll take it to the homebrew club for more data. The other difficult variable here is that everyone's tasting abilities are different. While I might think it's really close, someone else might pick out a difference. E.g. you might be able to spot a difference if you subbed something for the oat malt.

I would suggest you pick one and try it. I think there are a couple of general agreements ... (1) 3463 is probably the closest yeast one can get commercially. (2) jrfehon's hopping schedule seems to be really close.

The only other ideas I can think of to advance this is for you to try to a split batch and work on one of the other ideas. I think most of us are still trying to match the floral aromas.

Thanks for the reply. Any input on the oat malt or what that brings to the beer? I have never used it in any recipes before.

1011 after one week, i think isn't going down further, next time i'm going to mash some degree more!

I am going ahead with this formula and see how it turns out with jrfehon's hop schedule. I'll be using a 1.5L started of the forbidden fruit. Going to LHBS for the oat malt. Might have to play with that in some recipes to see what it's like.

Latest posts

Back