Why not use a carboy for the primary fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse17

Yep....I tell you what...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm new to brewing, and was wondering why does everyone use a plastic bucket for the primary fermenter, why not just use a carboy. Does it have something to do with the surface area exposed at the top?

Also, why do you need a primary and a secondary...why not just leave it in the primary, or start in the secondary? --Jesse

Jesse17 said:
I'm new to brewing, and was wondering why does everyone use a plastic bucket for the primary fermenter,

They don't. Go ahead and use the carboy. Whether or not to use a secondary is a matter of much debate. Some do and some don't.

alot of people use carboys for fermentation, for example, a 5 gallon batch should be in a 6+ gallon vessel to allow the kreusen some headspace otherwise you can end up with a sticky situation.

i am still using 6.5 gallon plastic fermenters ive been doing this less than a year, but i would like to switch to carboys so i can see the process through glass

Many people do use a 6.5 gallon carboy as a primary, it's extremely common. You can leave it in primary, a secondary isn't entirely necessary for most styles. You can't start a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon secondary because there is not enough head space.

Check this out if you haven't already http://www.howtobrew.com/

EDIT: man I type slow...

mr_stimey said:
....i would like to switch to carboys so i can see the process through glass

It is prety cool to be able to see your beer fermenting! Especially at first when it's really churning!:D

I always use a bucket because it's easier for me. I only have 5 gallon carboys, and I like to brew 5.25 gallons so I end up with 5 gallons. So I ferment in the bucket, and then when I rack to the clearing tank after a week, I have 5 gallons in the 5 gallon carboy. It works great for me, but lots of people have 6.5 gallon carboys and ferment in them the whole time.

talleymonster said:
It is prety cool to be able to see your beer fermenting! Especially at first when it's really churning!:D

i know i feel like its a mystery suprise birthday present or something doing fermentation in plastic buckets

I use all glass because that's what I have. You don't have to secondary many beers. Some styles, such as lagers, really need a secondary to clear up and to condition. The term "lager" comes from the German word "store," they have to be "stored" in a secondary for at least a couple of weeks. I also secondary high alcohol beers because I feel the beer needs time to mature, for the flavors to blend and mellow. However, with most regular gravity beer, I just ferment for two weeks and then keg the beer.

People use both. My group uses both a 6.5 gallon carboy and a 7 gal (?) Ale Pail.

The 5 gal carboy is too small for 5 gal batches of beer (for the most part) so we use them for meads and cysers which don't really krausen the way beer does, and of course for secondary (brite tank) on beer.

If you use a carboy, seriously consider a blowoff hose. Typically this is just 1.25" hose (I think, could be off on that but your LHBS will know for sure) which you stick into the neck of the carboy and put the other end into a bucket of bleach water. This allows krausen to "blow off". I like to wrap saran wrap around the neck to hose interface to keep small dust particles out of the "corner" between the glass and hose and also it helps keep the hose itself in place.

Another way to do it is to use a stopper and 3-part airlock (the kind with the "upside down cup") and remove the cap and little cup and put 3/8" hose on that and into a bucket of bleach water. For that matter, this is a good way to use a blowoff on a bucket.

Cheers!

Personally, I look down upon anyone who primaries in a bucket.

J/K. :cross: I know what it's like to be on a budget. But having said that, I would never in a million years bother with a bucket. Just doesn't make sense to me when a good glass carboy is only about $5 more. But then again some people like Bud Light, and drinking that swill seems to make them happy, so to each his own. :mug:

Welcome...it's apparent you haven't brewed yet, but the question is a good one.

It has nothing at all to do with surface tension.

I have 5-6 buckets. They are all around 7 gal capacity. I also have 22 - 5 gal carboys and 2 - 6.5 gal carboys. I still use my buckets for primaries every time.

Brewing a 5 gal batch usually results in an additional 4-5 inches of kreusen. If you pour 5 gals of wort into a 5 gal carboy you are still going to get that kreusen and it will most definitely overflow.

In that kreusen are hop particles, proteins, yeast, etc. They leave a "greasy-looking green-grey ring" on the inside of the buckets...would you like to try to clean that out of a carboy (small opening) every time you brew a batch? I don't. A wide-mouthed bucket is a lot easier to clean, but an overnight soak in a carboy will get rid of most of the ring. ;)

The reason you don't leave it in the primary too long is because you want to get the fresh brew off of the yeast and into the secondary, which incidently, is really a clearing tank...to allow your brew to age a bit, mellow, and clear prior to bottling...it's just easier to witness the process through glass. :mug:

SixFoFalcon said:
Personally, I look down upon anyone who primaries in a bucket.

give me some time, Christmas is right around the corner and SWMBO has been trying to get some suggestions out of me :D

Thans all for the info. It answered me question. That's the problem with all the web sites and books I've read. They all tell you how, but not why. Oh with the exception of howtobrew.com thanks for the link CNBUDZ.

Back