Big shout out to HBT on my first AG Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake-k

want another? Yip
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to this site and the kick ass people on it, my first AG batch a success.

I made my first all grain batch of Ed Wort's Haus Pale Ale, and I don't think I could have done any better for a First Time Noob...

My mash-in temp. was 1 degree high but right on after a few minutes of stirring. My 5gal mash cooler held right on 152 for the entire hour. Batch sparged to get 6.5 gal wort, and drained off the rest into pitcher, which was only about another quart and a half. Took a gravity reading on the last little bit and it was still 1.030. Pre-boil gravity was 1.045 and after the full 60 min boil my OG was 1.050. The recipe called for 1.051, so I only missed that by .001. My homemade immersion chiller work flawlessly, cooling wort to 80 degrees in only 15 min. The only slight problem I had was with my homemade screen on mash cooler. While stirring I must have twisted it and kinked it right at the connection, so draining was a little slow. (1/2 hour for initial run, and 25 min for sparge run.) That was with valve wide open...

All and all a great first run. :rockin:

Ironically, I came on tonight to post the exact same thing!!

My first AG today was a blaring success and I can pretty much point to HBT and my LHBS for the success.

Thanks to everyone that has answered questions and put up with my incessant questioning along the way.

Back