Stout? And now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koehne

Reaction score
In the very begining the plan was to make a smooth and kinda sweet stout, but i did not know where I could buy lactose and put that plan aside. Then, I decided I would make a Chocolat Stout, but if you live in Brasil, that's because god wanted you to do things in hardcore style, hence there was no Chocolat Malt here in my city. hehe In this way, I kind created my own recipe tasting the malts and with what I remembered, and end up with this :
2,5 Kg Pilsen agromalte
0,3 Kg Carafa Weyermann
0,2 Kg München Weyermann
(mashing for 90mins at 65 °C)
10 g Tradition hops
5 g Cascade (last 15 minutes)
(boiled for 90mins)
US-05

That was my second all grain, so it is possible that my combination is not that good =P And perhaps not even a Stout.

But here is the deal, I tasted the wort and it has a very present taste of roasted coffee, which is fine, but not so interesting from my point of view.
I thought about adding some boiled cocoa powder, would that be fine?
And after I put the yeast I realized I had oats too. Is that possible to do a second mashing with only oats and add it to the primary hoping to get an Oatmeal Stout?
And do you have any tips about what I should add to this beer to make it more interesting and less boring and simple?

Thanks in advance.

Stouts need roasted barley. Can you find unmalted barley? I do not have personal experience, but I understand that dark roasting barley is possible at home. Dark roasting in-malted barley, grinding very fine, and steeping might get you the strong roasted barley flavor and aroma.

Well, isn't Carafa already roasted? Then it indeed is stout. o/

But my doubt here is if I can still add the oats to get an Oatmeal Stout, and/or adding boiled honey or cocoa powder would fit the other ingredients' flavor.

Koehne said:
Well, isn't Carafa already roasted? Then it indeed is stout. o/

But my doubt here is if I can still add the oats to get an Oatmeal Stout, and/or adding boiled honey or cocoa powder would fit the other ingredients' flavor.

Carafa is roasted malted barley. Stouts include roasted unmalted barley. Feel free to call it what you like, but this is the defining difference between Porter and Stout.

I don't think you should try anything with the oatmeal. Oatmeal is mainly added for texture and body and won't alter flavor at all which is what you seem to be after. Moreover, it should be mashed with diastatic grains.

I'd leave it as is to see what you've got after it has fermented and you have carbonated, but adding vanilla beans, crushed coffee beans, cocoa nibs, a dose of dry hops or some flavored extract such as hazelnut will certainly flavor up your beer. Extracts may be a good possibility as it is easy to take a post fermentation sample and see how much extract you need to add with a dropper or pipette to get the desired flavor. All the beer can be dosed or you can do the extract additions at bottling time to some subset of the bottles.

Good idea on the extracts. Word of warning: had a strange reaction from a rum-based spice extract a few weeks ago - added extract to fermented wort in bottling bucket and there was some kind of pH reaction that caused a bunch of floculation. Looked like a snow globe! Future extracts will be tested on a sample size at my house... Beer tasted great, btw - just a bunch of precipitant to deal with in the bottles.

Back