Cap Shortage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atimmerman88

Reaction score
Hey All -

Ran myself out of caps, well I am going to run out I think.

I thought I had a 100 or so, and I guess I have 45. I've got 5.25gal to bottle tomorrow. I've got a dozen or so pint bottles, the rest 12oz so I'll be short.

Can't get to the LHBS until the weekend at the soonest, maybe not until next week.

I'm assuming I can refrigerate the left over beer in a sterilized container in the fridge until I can get more....

Or..you can just hold off bottling til you get enough caps. No point in messing things up when you can just hold off. If you batch prime your beer, the you assume wrong. Because the yeast will eat the sugar you primed the beer with, and the co2 will all go away, if you don't rupture whatever vessel you are attempting to contain it in.

Your beer won't go bad by holding off on bottling...just the opposite, time is your friend.

I know I know....I should just wait.

I'd like to get this bottled as I'm getting married in 10 days and I can more or less bottle it tomorrow or wait until after that to bottle and be without brew for 2 more weeks :(

Yeah, I agree with Revvy. Just wait! Worst case, if you can't bring yourself to wait, then you can use a couple 2L soda bottles for what's left after you run out of caps. I would still wait, though...

That's true. You CAN bottle in any plastic soda bottle. If you can't get caps or don't want to wait, beg, borrow or steal some 12 ounce or 2 liter plastic soda bottles and do the rest in them. They can contain the forces of bottle conditioning.

Or..you can just hold off bottling til you get enough caps. No point in messing things up when you can just hold off. If you batch prime your beer, the you assume wrong. Because the yeast will eat the sugar you primed the beer with, and the co2 will all go away, if you don't rupture whatever vessel you are attempting to contain it in.

Your beer won't go bad by holding off on bottling...just the opposite, time is your friend.

Didn't even think about this....I'm going to do the right thing....

Convince someone to drive to the LBHS shop for me while I'm at work :)

I will put the soda bottle trick in my memory banks I.C.E.

Back