Is Star San Milky When Mixed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strangelove

Reaction score
Howdy,

Using Star San for the first time. When mixed it looks pretty milky. Foams relatively easily, too. The cleaner/sanitizer that came with the BB kit is perfectly clear when mixed. Apples and oranges, I know. Just want to make sure I haven't invented a new way to goof up.

Thanks,

Merkwürdigliebe

Normally it is clear when I mix it but gets cloudy over time.

Yes, it foams very easily. Don't fear the foam.

I can't imagine it's a problem... maybe just the water you're using? How much star san to water did you mix?

With the tap water here my Star San is always like watered down milk. First time it worried me, but a pH test showed it was fine so I've never been concerned after that. I think some minerals in certain areas water just cause it to react that way right off the bat.

As for foaming, don't fear the foam! It'll foam up like a child making his own bubble bath. Crazy stuff, but the foam makes me feel good that everything is getting coated in a nice bath of sanitizer. And don't worry, the foam won't hurt your beer at all. I rack on to it and bottle on to it all the time.

Thanks, mates. I can stop trying to blow the dry bubbles in the necks of bottles then, I suppose. LOL

There are a ton of threads on this but in my experience if the Starsan is freshly mixed with our tap water, it's fine... but it definitely degrades over time and comes up in pH. If you are going to store it for longer than the day you make it (with tap water that is) then I would test the pH of the solution before you use it for sanitization. On the other hand, I've started making it with DI water and it lasts forever... I still check the pH though before I use it still under 3 ;)

You should mix it with distilled water, it will keep longer (assuming you don't use it all on brew day). Also, store it in a cool dark place.

I've heard that when it gets cloudy it's lost its efficacy but my experience is that it will be instantly cloudy when mixed with hard water.

We have fairly soft water around here. Mine mixes up clear with a slight milky clear cast to it. I even filter my star-san & PBW periodically.

Back