Background hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjl110

Reaction score
I want to use Columbus as a background hop, combined with the more prominent flavor and aroma of the Simcoe and Centennial that I'm using. I'm trying to get that lovely fruity/floral combo with just a bit of the dank Columbus flavor in the background. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to go about this? FWH? Small Columbus additions? Dry hop only? Thanks!

I use Columbus a lot. Depends on how danky you want it. I would say for a more subtle approach use it for all or part of your finishing hops at 5-10 min at the end of the boil and another small addition (.5 oz or so) at flame out. If you want it a little more bold, don't use any in the boil and dry hop with 1 oz for 1-2 weeks (again depending on how strong you want the flavor to come through).

Either use it as bittering or FWH, for which columbus makes it pretty economical..

or for more caracter make a blend of 3 parts cent 2 parts simcoe 1 part columbus and use that for late hopping and dry hopping.. Adjust the blend to your liking

Smell your simcoe first as it can sometimes be very catty and combined with the dank from the columbus could be too much

Either use it as bittering or FWH, for which columbus makes it pretty economical.

Just a word of caution (from my experience), if you use Columbus for a bittering hop, the bitterness will be harsher than usual. I believe this is because of the higher cohumulone content of the Columbus. I've brewed same IBU beer one with Columbus as bittering and one with something different like Centennial or Cascade as bittering and you could definitely tell the difference in bitterness. I don't use Columbus to bitter with anymore for this reason.

As for first wort hops, the general rule is to use a lower alpha aroma hop. If you use Columbus for FWH's you will probably get the same harsh bitterness that you would get from using them for bitterering. My $.02.

Here is what I'm thinking so far. I tried Maharaja recently and kind of modeled this after it, although the abv is cut in half.

5lbs 2row
3lbs LME
8oz Victory
8oz 120L

.5 Columbus @ 30
1 Simcoe @ 20
1 Centennial @ 5
1.5 Centennial Dry for 14
1 Simcoe Dry for 14
US-05
OG 1.049/IBU 57/SRM 12

As you can see I have eliminated the bittering. I had good luck doing this with beirmuncher's 4% blond. I thought about doing a FWH with Columbus, since it supposedly makes it rounder, but only doing a 30 min boil. I dunno how that would work though. I think I might buy the makings for this tomorrow, so anything that would help me make my decision is appreciated!

Back