cracked MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMeans

Reaction score
i use a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler as my mlt. it has developed a crack at the wall right next to the spout. i was debating using silicone (food grade) to patch it. does anyone have any other/bettter ideas. the silicone seems like it will not stand up to heat over an extended period of time.

I had a similar crack in a MLT,and used Silicone for a quick fix.It actually held up a lot longer than originally anticipated.I'm not even sure it was food grade,it didnt really matter as i put it on the outside of cooler.Is your crack on the inside or outside?

I had this happen. I put the original spigot back in place and took it to the store. They let me exchange.

bbrim said:
I had this happen. I put the original spigot back in place and took it to the store. They let me exchange.

Sweet. I'll remember that for next time. This happened to my first one after a year and I just bought a new one. They're cheap. I've been on my second one for almost a couple years now.

mine is on the inside. Sadly I think I threw away the original spigot. I may just try to find a large stainless steel fender washer that would cover the crack and use a silicone gasket under it.

Use a neoprene washer then a SS fender washer over it. You can get the neoprene washer at Home Depot. Should seal it up real nice.

I may be wrong (as I am often :) ) I think the cooler is made out of ABS plastic. Check into it. If it is ABS an easy way to make a quick and perm repair of ABS is to use some ABS pellets or if you do not have any take a few Lego bricks (they are made out of ABS)and dissolve it in some MEK (methyl ethyl ketone). Use just enough MEK to turn it into a thick sludge then apply it to the cracked area and let cure. It will melt right into and bond with the existing plastic for a solid perm fix.

Back