electric brewery help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubmergedBrewing

Reaction score
hello all. this might take some major explanation but i'm more than willing to learn. i'm currently in the process of upgrading the brewery from an all grain with igloo coolers and such to a keggle, HERMS brutus 10esk type of system. i also want to encorporate as much automation as i can, i was looking at the bcs-460 which looks awesome but im not much of an electrician or computer programer. any info on how this system works, electrical diagrams, examples, ect. would be a great help to get this system off the ground. thanks
:mug:

There are quite a few build threads "on the books" here that will answer questions you didn't even think to ask. I generally don't like the "use the search" answer but in this case, it's time to start reading A LOT.

Very well put Bobby. My suggestion is to first work out your mechanicals sans electrics. Once you have all that figured out and working well, start to work through the electrical plan. Here's a link to my initial build which hopefully will help you along. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/al...-build-progress-need-electrical-review-98944/

Since my rig went online I did have to replace an SSR and changed my SPDT switch to a contactor. You'll notice that as soon as I did my homework and laid out my control, that some very helpful people surfaced and gave amazing advice.

Good luck, electric rocks!

Thanks for the link Flananuts! there are a lot of terms in that thread that go way over my head, but i'm determined to learn and build one of these all electrics so i can create and re-create more efficient brews. i was thinking about a HERMS system vice a RIMS, but am hesitant now due to the ability to step mash with HERMS less likely than with a RIMS. i have also read about RIMS scorching mash. do you see anything like that in your system?

I went with herms so my hlt circulating is my heat source via the coil/heat exchanger therefore my mash never has direct contact with my heat source. I have done step mashes before especially with wheat beers and the ramp time isn't bad. The only time the wort comes in contact with the heating element is in my boil so I could get some additional caramelization however it's never been noticeable. I would definitely just start with the mechanical design first then once that is firm decide if you want to do a rims or herms.

You might want to take a look at my build thread. I had lots of questions when I first started doing my research, and probably had similar (if not same) questions you do now. There's some good advice from knowledgeable people there about wiring a control panel. It continues with the rest of my build, which may not apply to you.

TB

Back