Promash settings for Oregon Fruit Products puree, or should I use fruit essence extra

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fruit Puree or Fruit Essence??

• Fruit Puree. Nothing like the real thing!

• Fruit Essence. No mess, no calculations, all the rewards

• Either one are great!

Results are only viewable after voting.

robertjm

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning some beers with fruit flavors and have been looking at the Oregon Fruit Products purees. I'm playing around with Promash to figure out my recipes, however, I've hit a roadblock. What settings do I need to plug into Promash software to calculate fermentables and OG for my beer?

As a side note there seems to be "fruit essence" extracts for sale at most of the homebrew shops. Some shops claim their extracts are used for GABF winners!! Should I give up on using the purees and go with the extract instead? From the descriptions I've seen of it there are no fermentables so I'd have to add some additional DME as well, which is no big thing.

Thoughts?

Robert

Where's the Ralph Nader/don't put fruit in your beer option?

Alright, alright, if you're gonna put fruit in your beer, I'd use the real thing. Plenty of info out there for heating/pasteurizing/sanitizing/prepping/etc/etc before tossing it into the mix.

LOL!! I actually thought about adding a fourth one that said, "I have not idea! Who the heck puts fruit in their beer!?!?!?"

:ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:

Yuri_Rage said:
Where's the Ralph Nader/don't put fruit in your beer option?

Alright, alright, if you're gonna put fruit in your beer, I'd use the real thing. Plenty of info out there for heating/pasteurizing/sanitizing/prepping/etc/etc before tossing it into the mix.

The Oregon Fruit Products are great. I personally do not like extracts, I think they lack complexity and if over used can exhibit the taste of cough syrup. Not sure how to adjust for Promash but I just brew my base beer according to recipe and add the fruit puree to the secondary.

Depends on what your fruit is. My blackcurrant wit is just finishing up, and let me tell you, it's next to impossible to find fresh currants, or even puree.

I could see how that might be a problem! For me I'm doing something boring like a Chocolate Cherry Stout. Think cake in a glass!

Evan! said:
Depends on what your fruit is. My blackcurrant wit is just finishing up, and let me tell you, it's next to impossible to find fresh currants, or even puree.

I have a buddy that used the Oregon stuff. It came in a 3lb can and was strained and santized. The brewed a wheat beer as normal and then put it in the fermenter. When fermentation slowed down, he dumped in the fruit and put the lock back on. Fermentation kicked back up and went another day or so. Then, he added some flavoring right before bottling. Said it came out really good.

Latest posts

Back