Late LME addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel48

Reaction score
I just brewed Northern Brewers Phat Tyre Ale on Sunday. It was my second brew and first that had a late 15 minute extract addition. I removed the put from my flame to stir in the 6lbs of extract, I was also supposed to add the another 1 oz of hops for the last 15 minutes. The wort took a bit to get up to boil again. Should I start the boil counter over when the wort reaches boil again for the last 15 minutes or leave it counting even when the boil subsided for a few minutes?
Thanks!

For the extract, it doesn't matter. For the hops, if you leave them in hot wort too long, they will not add aroma the way you want a late hop addition, so I'd stick with the original time, rather than add on any additional. Your beer will be fine either way, though!

So the chemical reaction that the hops bring to the wort still happen if it is not boiling? It had to be close but it took a few minutes when the LME brought my temp down a bit.

So the chemical reaction that the hops bring to the wort still happen if it is not boiling? It had to be close but it took a few minutes when the LME brought my temp down a bit.

No, the hops oils won't isomerize if the wort isn't boiling. However, since it was just a couple of minutes and the hops are for flavor/aroma anyway, I don't think it'll be an issue at all.

It would be different if your bittering hops didn't boil, but the couple of minutes out of a 60 minute boil that the boil stopped will be fine.

If the boil was down for 5 minutes should I boil it 5 minutes longer? I know my beer is going to be fine in the end but I just want to be prepared for my next brew.

To avoid the problems with an interrupted boil, you can add the late-add LME at flame-out, stir it in, and let it sit for a few minutes covered before you chill. However, because the wort will be a lower density throughout the entire boil, you'll want to adjust your hop schedule (lower density wort = greater hop bitterness utilization => need for fewer hops or shorter boil).

You added 6 lbs of LME late? How much did you add before the boil?

If the boil was down for 5 minutes should I boil it 5 minutes longer? I know my beer is going to be fine in the end but I just want to be prepared for my next brew.

I personally wouldn't add the remaining hops and re-start the timer until a boil is reached again.

While it is not boiling, the bittering hops' alpha acids aren't being isomerized, so it essentially pauses. (Someone correct me if that's wrong.)

Then, don't add the late-addition hops until boiling re-starts so that the same amount of bitterness utilization and flavor/aroma extraction occurs.

I'm glad this was brought up since I was wondering the same thing. Since I have an AHS Pliny Clone on deck I want to get the best hop utilization possible

Back