Scratches in bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ks_medic

Reaction score
I was cleaning out my primary bucket when i noticed a few scratches through out the inside of the bucket. Then i remembered I used a metal spoon to really stir up the wort when i pitched. Not huge scratches but noticeable when you run your hand across them. Is the bucket still good to use or do i risk infecting my next batch ?

You are definitely running the risk, and once you get that first infection, it will be more or less impossible to get rid of. Might want to quit it with the metal spoon and retire the bucket to starsan/cleaning or grain storage.

I've never had it happen, but I've read that a knife can be ran across the scratch to take them out.

And in the future, you don't need to stir the wort after pitching the yeast. They will do fine on their own.

yeah it was a noob mistake using a giant metal spoon to aerate the wort. But i did mix the hell out of the wort. :rockin: I used that bucket for my first batch and sadly its already out of commission.

If you clean with bleach or oxyclean, they really do a good job of cleaning and getting into tiny scratches. If you sanitize well I think you will not have a problem, but the risk is increased.
But if you can get a replacement for cheap, it is better than have a batch of beer go bad.

Sorry, I thought you were using the spoon to mix the yeast into the wort. For aeration, a large whisk does a nice job before pitching.

I think it will be fine, unless you sharpened that metal spoon into a razor before you stirred with it.
really, how much scratchin can you do unless you are tryin to scratch it. (not sure that came out right!)

Bacteria and scratches can be microscopic. Even the flesh of your hand can scratch. I have one 10 gallon bucket I ferment with sometimes but I will never touch the inside with anything. My better bottles have never seen a brush and never will.

OP, take this opportunity to get a better bottle or glass carboy. Much nicer than a bucket anyway.

If it's a plastic bucket (and you're excruciatingly careful about it), you can use a long stove lighter or other flame source to melt the scratch back into the bucket.

well i gave the ol' flame a shot, the scratches are gone but now the area is discolored and has the texture of a golf ball. dunno if that's better or worse.

anything other than smooth is a place for nasties to embed while you think you're cleaning and sanitizing it - Don't risk your beer.

opt for a replacement of sorts (another one, a glass carboy or a better bottle) and use this for soaking / sanitizing small parts, etc., or for storage.

well i gave the ol' flame a shot, the scratches are gone but now the area is discolored and has the texture of a golf ball. dunno if that's better or worse.

Ask yourself if a $7 bucket is worth wrecking a beer over and proceed accordingly.

Yes very true, i'll stop trying to salvage it. I am needing a bucket by tomorrow and my LHBS charges 15 bucks for a bucket. Any other places to pick up a bucket?

anything other than smooth is a place for nasties to embed while you think you're cleaning and sanitizing it - Don't risk your beer.

opt for a replacement of sorts (another one, a glass carboy or a better bottle) and use this for soaking / sanitizing small parts, etc., or for storage.

Why is it that bacteria can get into a scratch, and star-san can't?

I have a hard time believing that anything surviving a star-san soak is surviving because of a scratch.

Why is it that bacteria can get into a scratch, and star-san can't?

I have a hard time believing that anything surviving a star-san soak is surviving because of a scratch.

I'm actually with you on that, I'm just stating conventional wisdom, and the "better safe than sorry" approach.

Thanks guys. I don't really want to throw all my time and money down the toilet over something like a bucket, so I just got back from the LHBS and bought a bucket. They only had bottling buckets :( but i got a down turn tube for the spigot. so hoping it will work fine. Looking at BB and seems like williams brewing is the cheapest for the full spigot set up.

Should've noted that I used to do this with my dad's home winemaking business when he used plastic buckets for various stuff. It's more of a learned technique, just touching the scratch for no more than a second or 2 with the flame, then a good sanding & sanitizing. But as mentioned above, a $7 investment on a new bucket is better than risking a contaminated batch.

Should've noted that I used to do this with my dad's home winemaking business when he used plastic buckets for various stuff. It's more of a learned technique, just touching the scratch for no more than a second or 2 with the flame, then a good sanding & sanitizing. But as mentioned above, a $7 investment on a new bucket is better than risking a contaminated batch.

lol, yeah so i guess 10 sec. was way to long :cross: o well its for the better probably saved me from dumping my beer in the long run. Plus i stopped by lowes on the way and picked up 20 ft of 1/4 copper tubing for $ 9.50. Gonna make a pre chiller for my wort chiller. :D

Back