Dogs & Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arwelsh

Reaction score
Anyone have experience brewing around dogs? I did my first batch at my parent's house and my 10 year old was there but he mostly sleeps on my parent's bed at this point. I'm doing my second batch this weekend and have a 2 year old with me. She's got quite a bit more energy but doesn't normally try and grab at food or anything. Worst she does is sit at a decently respectful distance and stare at you when you're eating.

I've read that hops are poisonous for dogs to the point of making dark chocolate seem like a milk bone.

Is there anything else I need to be cautious of? Is there some potential that dander or hair just from her presence in the room is going to ruin the whole process?

I can close her out if I must and it's not like I'm going to let her sip hot wort or anything she just tends to be a 2nd shadow of mine.

***I can't stress this enough. Hops are deadly to dogs. There is a movement due to brewing's increasing popularity to get this added to packaging. I think as it stands right now it's responsible for somewhere north of 10 deaths a year. I've read by the time they show signs of sickness it's too late and the only ones that are typically saved are either huge or the owner was aware of the danger and saw the dog with them. Help spread the word to others who don't know.***

I have dogs and will put them outside or lock them in the other room while i brew just in case i drop hops pellets accidentally. Better safe than sorry. Besides the vet bill would be very expensive if my dog developed malignant hypothermia.

I'd at least prep all my hops by putting each addition into a small bowl and keep them out of harms way. Other than that nothing will hurt your beer before you start chilling. Be aware propane attracts mosquitoes so if your dog has issues with them might want to keep him inside

I'd at least prep all my hops by putting each addition into a small bowl and keep them out of harms way. Other than that nothing will hurt your beer before you start chilling. Be aware propane attracts mosquitoes so if your dog has issues with them might want to keep him inside

I'll be inside but I've never heard that about propane before... Interesting. I'll prob just put a baby gate at the kitchen door.

I have hops growing in my back yard, and the dogs don't bother with them. The big guy will pee on em every now and then, but neither has shown any interest in the plants or cones.

And, as for brewing with the dogs, they aren't much help. I've tried to get the big guy to help by stirring the mash, but he said he can't because he doesn't have thumbs.:D

This summer, besides our chocolate lab, we have my son's black lab (4 months old) and both know better than to get in my way while brewing. Plus, they are good dogs but sometimes nosey. Give them a smell of hops and they'll go away!

My 14 year old dachshund hangs out in the kitchen with me when I'm brewing. Actually, she hangs out with me whenever I'm in the kitchen.

I've never had a problem with her being there. Of course, she doesn't shed like a diseased Wookie like some dogs seem to. And having 2 inch legs pretty much ensures that she won't be jumping up on the counter.

I've made a couple batches of treats for her with my used grains. She LOVES them. Super easy to make - I just mix up a bowl while the wort is boiling and bake them during the brew.

I call my brewery "2 Bad Dogs Brewing," but they are actually pretty good old dogs (but don't tell them that). My garden is fenced from when they were puppies and would chase each other and wrestled in the raised beds, but they pay zero attention to the hop plants when they are in the garden with me. When I brew they just hang out on the deck with me. The only time they are a problem is if they are sleeping underfoot. I am not that steady on my feet and I don't always use my cane at home. Put that together with a couple of bad dogs that won't get out of the way because they are lazy and getting around can be difficult at times.

I have two smaller dogs and brew inside. No issues so far, even with the dog hair that got in the cooled wort of the last batch.

Now if only I could get him to scrub the brew kettle......

Dog-in-Kitchen.jpg

(that's not really my dog.... my dog is way too lazy to slave over a hot stove :D )

My dog used to get a little too close to my burner every once in a while, but I've taught her to stop doing that. I'm uber careful with hops, so I don't worry about that too much. When she acts restless on brewday I throw her a couple spent grain biscuits, and that usually occupies her until she decides it's nap time...

My dog is always out with me when I brew. He usually gets a grain treat when I'm milling, but other than that, dosen't care what is going on.

I try to be extra careful when measuring and tossing in my hops. Better safe then sorry.

Mine shows interest (he's a spaniel), but smart enough to get that "no means no" when I'm brewing :mad: so he stays out of my way

I have dogs... 3 dogs... But the boys - always around on Brew-Day but usually hanging out in the entry into the kitchen... The little girl.. Well, she stays to herself...

The boys...
image-4246318296.jpg

The little Princess.... ;)
image-1455605955.jpg

There are the pups.., good dogs & haven't had a problem yet.., ;)

Man, my 5 year old blue Heeler is a lush, he got into the bottling bucket when I went to take a leak last year and one $68 dollar vet visit later I found out just how much home brew he could put away (a little is ok, too much is very bad!) he was fine but very drunk, so now he is banned to the yard on brew/bottling day. He goes nuts for a taste of beer to the point of knocking over folks glasses just so he can lick it up when I have friends over

Smithwrecked said:
Man, my 5 year old blue Heeler is a lush, he got into the bottling bucket when I went to take a leak last year and one $68 dollar vet visit later I found out just how much home brew he could put away (a little is ok, too much is very bad!) he was fine but very drunk, so now he is banned to the yard on brew/bottling day. He goes nuts for a taste of beer to the point of knocking over folks glasses just so he can lick it up when I have friends over

I'm glad your dog was okay but you gotta love his enthusiasm for beer!

Back