about the 1-2-3 rule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am a beginner and am using the 1-2-3 rule, after two weeks in the carboy I am ready to bottle. The issue I am concerned about is that the room the carboy was in may have been below 60 degrees... Should I just bottle it anyway or give it a few days in some warmer temp, but below 60?

It should be fine, after you bottle just be sure to keep the bottles around 70 for 2-3 weeks for proper carbonation.

As flyangler said, you should check the gravity first and make sure it finished, low temperature can slow down fermentation.

The 1-2-3 rule is not hard and fast.

It all depends on whether or not fermentation is complete. Usually it will be done after a week, however sometimes it is not. That is why we use hydrometers. If you bottle beer that is not fully fermented, you risk having exploding bottles and that is not good for anybody!

I have not taken a hygrometer reading...

Definitely take one. If you had the fermenter below the lower limit of the recommended range for your yeast strain, it may have pooped out and you won't know where it is for sure. If the fermentation just stalled because of those temps, and you bottle and it warms- you could be facing bottle bombs.

I am a beginner and am using the 1-2-3 rule, after two weeks in the carboy I am ready to bottle. The issue I am concerned about is that the room the carboy was in may have been below 60 degrees... Should I just bottle it anyway or give it a few days in some warmer temp, but below 60?

you shouldn't even move to secondary until you've used your hydrometer to determine if fermentation has completed.

I can't imagine it would still be fermenting much after 3 weeks even if the temp dipped below 60. Maybe I am wrong though.

I can't imagine it would still be fermenting much after 3 weeks even if the temp dipped below 60. Maybe I am wrong though.

It depends entirely on the strain. I've had saison yeast take months to hit FG if not at the perfect temp.

First it should have been done fermenting before you transfered it to the secondary. If it was done at this point then cooler temps in the secondary will not hurt.

If your temps in the primary were above 65F and the beer was of moderate gravity and you pitched sufficient yeast, then it should have been finished fermenting after a week in the primary.

You should be good

Craig

Reading the FAQ please read before posting and ran into this thread. What exactly is the 1,2,3 rule? I just brewed my first batch of beer ever today (Brew Craft Dutch Lager) so any of this tips such as the rule would help.

1 week in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary and 3 weeks in bottles before it's ready to drink

Which is, incidentally, not at all a universal rule. I'd guess the majority of experienced brewers would prefer a 3-3 rule (3 weeks in primary, 3 in bottles--no secondary) if you have to do a timed rule, but it all depends on what beer you're brewing and what yeast you use.

Really, the key things are that:
1. You need to leave it in primary until it's done fermenting. A rule of thumb for that is to wait a week, then take a hydrometer reading every other day until you get 2 that are the same*.
2. After that, it helps to give it some time to condition. Opinions are split on whether you should move it to a secondary or leave it in the primary for this, though I think more people are leaning toward leaving it in primary and not using a secondary for basic beers (most people will still recommend a secondary if you're going to add fruit or oak chips, or if it's a really big beer that needs a long conditioning time).
3. After that, bottle it and let the bottles sit at 70F for 2-3 weeks. Open one up, if it's not done carbing then wait another week and check again.

*you should have some idea what the final gravity is supposed to be, and if you're way off then you might have a stuck fermentation rather than a finished primary

I now go by the 4-4 rule (4 weeks in primary, 4 weeks in bottles). It's not always easy to wait that long, but my beer is better because of it.

I now go by the 4-4 rule (4 weeks in primary, 4 weeks in bottles). It's not always easy to wait that long, but my beer is better because of it.
+1. I have done that on my last four batches and they have improved and more clear. On two of my batches, I went five weeks in primary.

I have not taken a hygrometer reading...
Good. Because taking a hygrometer reading would give you no informations about your fermentation... Hygrometer is for relative humidity.

A hydrometer is for measuring relative/specific density. That's the tool you need. And you should always take a look at it before bottling, to be sure your beer is done fermenting. If it's stable for 3-4 days, you're good to bottle.

But, the longer in the fermenter, the better your beer will be. Don't rush it.

Back