Not Cream, but Three Crops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onkel_Udo

Reaction score
Considering a recipe that combines a lot of may favorite ingredients but is a little outside of my incremental improvement comfort zone...

9 Gallon batch, manual eBiab full volume mash for 60 minutes at 152 f

5 #'s Wheat malt (an organic out of MI)
5 #'s Flaked Rye
5 #'s Briess Munich light

Bittering would be 1 oz Magnum US pellet
Aroma/flavor is up for discussion but I have Fuggles, Goldings, and Centennial on hand. Considering Saaz because I have not used it since leaf Saaz became harder to come by.

I have a new-to-me yeast arriving tomorrow, WB-06.

Any suggestions? Keep in mind, I do not shoot for a style and this is aimed at being a Lawnmower beer. I am a little concerned the spiciness of the rye and banana/clove of a wheat yeast might be at odds but I am willing to risk it.

Also unusable for me...not putting one ounce of Special B in this one and I might go through withdrawal.

Wb-06 will do a great hefe, I'm not sure if it will play nice with the rye, but that's probably because I don't like rye.

Wb-06 will do a great hefe, I'm not sure if it will play nice with the rye, but that's probably because I don't like rye.

This is likely to be an inappropriate application for Rye but I am curious. If it sucks, I can always blend it.

One of my three favorite recipes is a 35% Rye so I do know what I am getting into with that flavor...just no idea how the combo will play.

This is likely to be an inappropriate application for Rye but I am curious. If it sucks, I can always blend it.

One of my three favorite recipes is a 35% Rye so I do know what I am getting into with that flavor...just no idea how the combo will play.

Argh...huge absorption rate! 12 gallons strike water...8.5 gallons after I let the bag hang. Had to do a quick batch sparge.

Curious how this turned out. I have never had good luck with WB-06. I have ended up with kinda nasty, but mostly bland results.

Latest posts

Back