Extra pale ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moll0

Reaction score
What's the difference between Extra pale ale anda a pale ale?
Does anyone has a profile difference?

I've taken it to have two different meanings, depending on which beer you are talking about.

It can either be an imperial pale ale which doesn't quite fit stylistically into either the pale ale or IPA category, or just a super hopped pale ale that has the gravity/body of a pale ale but the taste characteristics/ibu of an IPA (think of founders all day).

But since it isn't actually a recognized style category, it is open to interpretation.

There isn't any defined style of "extra pale ale".

I had one from a place out east called "railroad" something. It was most certainly a wheat beer, and tasted like Oberon to me!

Summit's is more of a lighter pale ale (as in "extra pale", I guess) while sometimes "extra pale ale" means "bigger pale ale".

Since there are so many made-up interpretations of this, if you can name a commercial style that you're thinking of that the company calls "extra pale ale", we can help come up with some ideas on what they are trying to mean.

As previously stated, there's no official style guideline for it.

Being a west-coaster, I tend to think of EPA being what's described by local HB club Maltose Falcon's style guidelines:

http://www.maltosefalcons.com/sites/default/files/2012_Falcons_Style_Guidelines.pdf

See Category 10.

However from their commercial examples, the Summit EPA is conspicuously absent: Commercial Examples: Alesmith X, Mad River Steelhead Xtra Pale Ale, BJ’s West Coast Xtra Pale, Green Flash Extra Pale Ale, SLO Brewing Extra Pale Ale, Three Floyds Extra Pale Ale

Essentially you're looking at lighter in color than APA category, lower ABV than IPA, but more aggressively hopped than APA.

But again, this "style" is not an exhaustive list. Different breweries can do a lot of different things and call them EPA.

Then you start thinking about SN Torpedo and why it's an Extra IPA...

I'll stop before any heads explode.

Too late. That extra large redneck rocket fuel got to me along with this. Needed a SAWL & some vodka to compensate. Can ya here Major Tom? Can ya here me major Tom? Heeere,i'm sitting in my tin can. Faaaar above the moon...planet earth is blue,& there's nothing I can do...

Back