New Coffin Keezer build under way - have ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brtisbuck

Reaction score
First some basic info.

I'm building a keezer with a coffin box and full wood surround. I've started with a 5.1 c ft chest freezer, put it on casters, and built the surround with a 5" collar. It will be set up for 2 taps (1 ball lock, 1 sanke), and all the equipment contained in the keezer. My "bar top" is a little high, but it won't really be used as a bar top per say (given the small size of the freezer). It will be more or less a custom decor matching serving station. Dark mohogany finished wood, tiled top.

I'm currently working on the lid/top. The frame of my lid is built and mounted and I'm getting ready to start on the coffin. Here is where I have a few questions.

This first is equipment. I need to buy my draft hardware. I have a co2 cylinder, regulator, and 1 ball lock I was gifted. I need to purchase 2 faucets w/shanks, beer and gas lines, 1 sanke connector (I have a set of ball locks), and probably a c02 distributor to run 2 kegs. I am thinking Perlick 525ss, but I really have no idea what I'm looking for and the best places to look for it. I also am not sure which specialty tools I may need or what is the best rout for clamps and such. Input would be appreciated.

The second is cooling. I plan on running a Johnson Controls digital temp controller with at least 1 fan forcing air into the coffin. With such a small freezer should I still have a fan for circulation down below? Should I run the fans constant, or linked to the controller? I'm thinking constant at least for the coffin, but noise is a concern. Also, I'm not sure how to go about picking a fan and power supply. I'm currently looking at a cell phone charger/computer fan type setup. Input here would be good.

I encourage any advice.

Hi

I'll let others chime in on the various parts suppliers. I have had good luck with pretty much everybody I've tried.

I would plan on a fan to move air around the freezer and at least one fan to pull air up into the tower. Two of each would be better still. Cell phone chargers are one way to go for power. Full blown power supplies are a sub $10 item if you decide to go "industrial".

If you start with low speed / quiet fans (yes they sell them) running them on 12V works fine. If you start with big fast noisy fans, lower voltage may be a good idea. The only gotcha with lower voltage is that you can only go just so low before the fan starts to drop out when dirty.

Bob

I can see 2 for the tower because that seems to be the trickiest part. Do you really think 2 is needed for the rest of the freezer with it only being 5 cft?

What type of "industrial" power supply and what type of fan to connect? I'm no electrician, although I can follow a set of instructions. lol Keep in mind this will be in a main room of my house so noise is a main concern.

Also, do you recommend running them constant?

Hi

If you get quiet fans, you can run a dozen of them and still never hear the noise. Newegg has a ton of fans. Anything rated under 22 dba is going to be silent in this case. Put another way - the compressor will bug you *way* more than the fans ever will.

This is the supply I used:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-12V-3A-...ltDomain_0&hash=item2c5541fdcc#ht_3251wt_1353

I glued it down in the compressor chamber along with a STC-1000 temperature controller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-Off-110V...ltDomain_0&hash=item3cc6101acb#ht_3927wt_1119

Both fit with room to spare down by the compressor. No need to mount anything very far from the wiring that's already there.

Bob

Back