Ideas for Inline heated KEG washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsquared

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need ideas for a heated keg/carboy washer.

I've been kicking this around in my head for a while after building my electric brewery.From that build I have some extra parts I can use. The idea is to make a two bucket washing station, one side for PBW, and one for Star-San.I would like to add heating elements so I can maintain the cleaning solutions at 150+ºF during a cleaning cycle.

I have a two head march pump that I scored on ebay a long time ago, so I have that too. I also have two Analog temperature controllers rated to 20A, so each one could handel a 1200W 120VAC element easy.

I'm kinda stuck on how to build the heaters though, I want to build basically two RIMS tubes. I priced out how much it would be to make two stainless tubes to house the heating elements and I have it to ~$50 a tube. I was looking in to CPVC to see if it would be cheeper but I was still at about 35 a tube. PVC I really would not trust at temps over 140, and copper is +60.

The other alternative would be to mount the elements into the buckets, but i've put elements in coolers before and It is a little sketchy, so I'd prefer not to do that.

Any one have any good...or bad ideas?

some folks have done heat sticks in the bucket...1000 watt 120v element would proably be sufficient enough. I've found with just starting with a hot bucket of water i'm getting sufficient cleaning, the pump i've got runs warm so keeps it up to a pretty good temp. I just built mine recently...i'd thought about an element but it just doesn't seem needed at this time.

the rims is an interesting idea though, but to find a pump that can handle the heat, seems that money would be better spent elsewhere.

the rims is an interesting idea though, but to find a pump that can handle the heat, seems that money would be better spent elsewhere.

Yes I agree, the pump I have is rated up to 180º. I got it on ebay (two of them) for $40. March 802. So for me that is not much of an issue.

For me, when ever i am cleaning it seems that its 4 to 6 carboys and 4 to 6 kegs at once, the water does not stay hot the whole time.

Just started a load of dishes in the dishwasher...What about a dishwasher drain pump?

I'd imagen they are food rated and have a heat tolerance up to 180º. doing some 10^100ing I found this.

Not sure I trust this guys word on it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back