Priming sugar: amateur mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartmannj

Reaction score
Because of my excitement at finally being able to bottle my latest batch, I racked my fermented beer to another carboy to bottle. Only then did I realize that the sauce pan with the cooled and dissolved priming sugar was hiding untouched behind the other equipment! I added it slowly through a funnel and very gently stirred it with my cane.

Did I just ruin my batch because of possible aeration/lack of carbonation? Did the siphoning action of the cane somehow distribute it throughout the beer?

So you added sugar after you had already transferred wort to your "bottling bucket"? Join the club. Other than a slight chance of varying levels of carbonation in your bottles your beer will make it intact.

Thanks, elpenoso! Seems that no matter what mistake one makes, it's hard to be a pioneer - someone has done it before. I'll be able to sleep without tossing and turning tonight...

Back