CO2 refill problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker18

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to get my CO2 tank refilled, and running into problems. One place will swap the tank for another, but they will not do this when they found out what it was going to be used for. They said they will not promise that it is pure CO2, might have a trace of welding gas. The second place will refill my tank, but it needs to be retested (it is an old tank, so that was not a surprise), but they do promise pure medical grade CO2. Of course the second option is much more expensive ($40 for a 20 lb tank, plus testing cost another $40) and it has been almost two weeks without a tank.
Is anyone else worried about possible gas mixes when filling tanks.
BTW, these are the two main suppliers in the area, so any one down from them will be getting there gas anyway (AirLiquid and Praxaire).

The issue would be with the swap/rental program, not the actual gas. Bottles that participate in that system could have contained other gases or contaminants at some point. If you are filling a tank that you bought new, then any CO2 source will be okay. I use a local fire protection/sprinkler system business.

I use a fire protection company as well. Another option is a paint ball shop, they do not seem picky about if the canister was tested.

Actually the question only came up after they had the tanks pulled out to swap. they were not concerned about my tank or how old it was, but they asked what I was using it for, I guess it was a wierd size for them or something, and then they were hesitant on giving me their tank. Probably if I would have pushed it, they wouldn't have said anything, but it got me thinking, so I went with their suggestion. Now I know there should be no problems, I will go to the cheaper place next time (if I ever get my tank back):mad:

I feel ya... I've called 8 different places here in the SF bay area, and NONE of them are capable (or rather, willing) to fill a 10lb tank. Since it's all shiny and new aluminum, I'd rather not swap it, but it's looking more and more like I won't have a @#$@# choice...

I feel ya... I've called 8 different places here in the SF bay area, and NONE of them are capable (or rather, willing) to fill a 10lb tank. Since it's all shiny and new aluminum, I'd rather not swap it, but it's looking more and more like I won't have a @#$@# choice...

Wine Country Gases in Petaluma fills my 10 lb tank. Robert, the dude who is always there, is very helpful.

2100 Petaluma Boulevard North
Petaluma, CA 94952-1967
(707) 778-6264

It certainly varies by area, but where I live, I checked four types of places:
1. National beverage supply gas places, in this case Beverage-Air. They did swaps only.
2. Welding supply places. All I checked did swaps only.
3. Fire Extinguisher places. Both I checked would fill. Certain days for walk-ins.
4. Homebrew shop. Cheapest (last I checked), but did swaps only. But it's farthest away.

So from my limited sampling, I wonder if fire extinguisher places are the best bets for re-fills? One needs to open the yellow pages to these categories + maybe paintball, then dedicate a half hour to an hour to calling around....

Best place for a CO2 refill - Atlas Welding Supply 1224 6th St. Berkeley, CA 94710
Centrally located and easy access outside of rush hour traffic... these gents will refill your tank or swap as needed. Love it!

We would be more than happy to fill your cylinder.

We fill CO2 tanks on the spot, Monday thru Friday 10AM-6PM in the SF Bay Area.

Compressed Solutions West
351 Sunset Drive, Suite C
Antioch, CA 94509
(925) 757-8707

$1/LB

10lb/$10
20lb/$20
50LB/$40

Most of the beverage supplies here use welding shops foir re-fills.

It's not a problem. It's rare that I ever fart Acetylene.
But boy is it fun when you do :D
The issue would be with the swap/rental program, not the actual gas. Bottles that participate in that system could have contained other gases or contaminants at some point. If you are filling a tank that you bought new, then any CO2 source will be okay. I use a local fire protection/sprinkler system business.
AFAIK I thought gas cylinders/valves were very specific in what can be attached to them - to stop them being filled with the wrong gas.
$1/LB

10lb/$10
20lb/$20
50LB/$40

Your maths seems to be a little out there :D A 50# tank would probably last me over 5 years... unless I got a leak!
In reference to the above "contamination" with other gases, can you clear up if there is any difference between "food / medical grade" CO2 and welding CO2?

Latest posts

Back