What's your favorite Mild Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
I've never made one and I'm interested. I'm an all-grain brewer.

At this point, I was going to brew Jamil's because I know I can't go wrong with his but I wanted to see what other recipes people have besides the ones posted in the recipe section here.

Thanks!

I did Jamil's last year, and loved it! I don't think I made any changes at all.

Edit- after looking back, I used Golden Promise malt for the base malt.

Mine, of course (see my drop-down; replace the extract with the appropriate amount of pale malt and you're there).

:D

Orfy's is really, really good. As is Flyangler's.

Bob

5 Gallons, 6 pound grain bill OG 1.040 SRM 14 IBUs 23

Vienna Malt 72.5%
Wheat 5%
Crystal 40 5%
Special B 5%
Roasted Barley 2.5%
Demerara Sugar 10%

EKG 1 ounce 60min
EKG .5 ounce 15min
EKG .5 ounce 0min

Used Vienna because that's what I had at the time.

So can this be bottled after about 10 days in the primary or what??

Depends.

If the ferment is well and truly over, maybe. Is it as clear as you like? Is the flavor going where you want it?

I usually bottle mine after 7-10 days in primary and a week in secondary to clear (with gelatin).

Bob

Speaking of bottling, why is it that I've heard milds can't be successfully bottled? Clearly since you guys are doing it that isn't true, but more than one source has indicated they don't do well in bottles. I could just never figure out what that meant.

There are several tried and true Mild recipes in the 10der & Mild swap thread. That was a lot of fun. Ten days grain to glass, and one of the best beers I've brewed so far.

We need to do that again.

Chad

Speaking of bottling, why is it that I've heard milds can't be successfully bottled? Clearly since you guys are doing it that isn't true, but more than one source has indicated they don't do well in bottles. I could just never figure out what that meant.

So I shouldn't bottle this??? Please more info on this one.

Mild is a style traditionally dispensed as Real Ale - from a cask. As a low-gravity session beer, it is intended to be consumed fresh and quickly.

Mild can be successfully packaged in any number of ways: bottle, cask, keg. The low carbonation levels associated with Real Ale do not lend themselves to bottle-conditioning, as it is next to impossible for the amateur to manage the refermentation which provides the condition (carbonation) at Real Ale draught levels. Draught Mild generally has a carbonation level of ~1.8 volumes, and the overwhelming majority of bottled ales have a carbonation level in excess of 2; the difference is notable.

That said, you may bottle Mild successfully, provided you exceed the traditional carbonation levels of the draught beer. In my considered opinion this has a deleterious effect on the beer, but your mileage may vary. Too much carbonation masks the delicate flavors of Mild. But if you use software to calculate your bottle-conditioning sugar addition - and don't exceed 2 volumes - you'll end up with a decent pint.

But next time you're in UK, or a brewpub that does a Mild, do yourself a favor and hit a pub that serves draught Mild. It's an eye-opener!

Cheers! :mug:

Bob

Mild is a style traditionally dispensed as Real Ale - from a cask. As a low-gravity session beer, it is intended to be consumed fresh and quickly.

Mild can be successfully packaged in any number of ways: bottle, cask, keg. The low carbonation levels associated with Real Ale do not lend themselves to bottle-conditioning, as it is next to impossible for the amateur to manage the refermentation which provides the condition (carbonation) at Real Ale draught levels. Draught Mild generally has a carbonation level of ~1.8 volumes, and the overwhelming majority of bottled ales have a carbonation level in excess of 2; the difference is notable.

That said, you may bottle Mild successfully, provided you exceed the traditional carbonation levels of the draught beer. In my considered opinion this has a deleterious effect on the beer, but your mileage may vary. Too much carbonation masks the delicate flavors of Mild. But if you use software to calculate your bottle-conditioning sugar addition - and don't exceed 2 volumes - you'll end up with a decent pint.

But next time you're in UK, or a brewpub that does a Mild, do yourself a favor and hit a pub that serves draught Mild. It's an eye-opener!

Cheers! :mug:

Bob

Very helpful. Thanks. So if I carbonate to 1.8 volumes, this shouldn't be horrible to serve, right?? As long as I let it warm up first.

Anyone else here bottle a mild and enjoy it?

Back