Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter and I have been playing the hell out of Horizon Zero Dawn. Really well made game.

Also, this Penny Arcade strip is pretty accurate:

i-rR99gLd-2100x20000[1].jpg

Replaying the dragonage and mass effect games till i get andromeda, also preordered "full throttle" remake from gog.com

I wish I could get into Dragon Age more. Only made it to like level 10. Skyrim has been eating the little Xbox time I have.

My daughter and I have been playing the hell out of Horizon Zero Dawn. Really well made game.

Also, this Penny Arcade strip is pretty accurate:

I've heard it's good, and that the protagonist is considered one of the best video game characters we've had in quite a while. Have you got an elevator spiel to sell us on the game in 30 seconds or less?

I've heard it's good, and that the protagonist is considered one of the best video game characters we've had in quite a while. Have you got an elevator spiel to sell us on the game in 30 seconds or less?

My favorite game since witcher 3, the more I play the more I'm hooked. Premise is Ygrette meets farcry 4 meets terminator animals. It's very intuitive and just the right level of challenging.

Anyone pick up the Nintendo Switch yet? Breath of the Wild is KILLER

Got mine release day, as well as Breath of the Wild. LOVE IT. Really incredible game.

My ONE tiny complaint... as much as I love it, it kind of doesn't "feel" like a Zelda game... the mechanics and gameplay are much different than any other Zelda game. I mean, no rolling? No collecting money in grass and pots? Weapons that BREAK???

My favorite game since witcher 3, the more I play the more I'm hooked. Premise is Ygrette meets farcry 4 meets terminator animals. It's very intuitive and just the right level of challenging.

Ygrette? I haven't played Witcher 3 yet - I'm a deep discount sort of gamer, but I think I remember the name from Witcher 2 so I'm assuming that's where the name comes from. edit: crap - Game of Thrones Ygrette. Badass wild chick with a bow. Right. Terminator animals? I'm confused there. Points for Farcry, though - I thought the first game was bunk in spite of its rave reviews, but 2 and 3 are awesome and I'll get 4 one day when it goes deep discount. Looks like Horizon Zero Dawn needs to go on that list too.

Got mine release day, as well as Breath of the Wild. LOVE IT. Really incredible game.

My ONE tiny complaint... as much as I love it, it kind of doesn't "feel" like a Zelda game... the mechanics and gameplay are much different than any other Zelda game. I mean, no rolling? No collecting money in grass and pots? Weapons that BREAK???

"no rolling?" - I'll allow it - rolling wasn't really a thing before OoT.

"No collecting money in grass and pots?" - Sacrilege!

"Weapons that BREAK???" - Biggoron's Sword, maybe?

I've heard it's great, and I've heard that it's kind of Zelda meets open-world games like GTA. Zelda's always been pretty open-world already, so maybe they adopted other, less positive (or less Zelda) aspects of those games? I'm behind on my Zelda intake anyway - I've played the two DS games but nothing on the Wii, Wii U, 3DS, or Switch, so we'll see if I ever end up getting around to Breath of the Wild...

Been trying new ghost recon a little, but definitely sinking a lot of time into Rainbow Six Siege, the learning curve is huge on that game

"no rolling?" - I'll allow it - rolling wasn't really a thing before OoT.

"No collecting money in grass and pots?" - Sacrilege!

"Weapons that BREAK???" - Biggoron's Sword, maybe?

I've heard it's great, and I've heard that it's kind of Zelda meets open-world games like GTA. Zelda's always been pretty open-world already, so maybe they adopted other, less positive (or less Zelda) aspects of those games? I'm behind on my Zelda intake anyway - I've played the two DS games but nothing on the Wii, Wii U, 3DS, or Switch, so we'll see if I ever end up getting around to Breath of the Wild...

Yeah, but OoT was the first 3D/open world Zelda, and rolling became pretty important to getting around slightly faster than walking (or riding). Plus, there's something special about running/rolling through a field... "Ha! Hee! HYAH! Ha! Hee! HYAH!"

The money thing is really weird in BotW... you pretty much have to mine rocks and collect monster bits to sell for rupees. There's VERY few rupees out in the world. No monsters drop them, and very few chests have them. At least if you find a chest with money, it's usually purple or better.

No Biggoron sword (yet, at least), and even the strongest weapons I've found have broken. Maybe not as quickly as the Moblin/Bobokin wood weapons, but quicker than I would like. I mean, when I have to collect a ton of Ancient Parts and spend 1K+ rupees on what's supposed to be the strongest weapons in the game, they should last!!! Now, I haven't been able to pull the Master Sword yet, but if that thing can break, I'm done. [emoji31]

I'm getting used to the new format, but it's still a little weird. The closest thing I can compare it to would be Xenoblade Chronicles, which is an incredible game, but a different format. If you can, play Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and Windwaker. All three are excellent, and I'd say Twilight Princess is as close to as good as OoT as you can get.

Yeah, but OoT was the first 3D/open world Zelda, and rolling became pretty important to getting around slightly faster than walking (or riding). Plus, there's something special about running/rolling through a field... "Ha! Hee! HYAH! Ha! Hee! HYAH!"

The money thing is really weird in BotW... you pretty much have to mine rocks and collect monster bits to sell for rupees. There's VERY few rupees out in the world. No monsters drop them, and very few chests have them. At least if you find a chest with money, it's usually purple or better.

No Biggoron sword (yet, at least), and even the strongest weapons I've found have broken. Maybe not as quickly as the Moblin/Bobokin wood weapons, but quicker than I would like. I mean, when I have to collect a ton of Ancient Parts and spend 1K+ rupees on what's supposed to be the strongest weapons in the game, they should last!!! Now, I haven't been able to pull the Master Sword yet, but if that thing can break, I'm done. [emoji31]

I'm getting used to the new format, but it's still a little weird. The closest thing I can compare it to would be Xenoblade Chronicles, which is an incredible game, but a different format. If you can, play Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and Windwaker. All three are excellent, and I'd say Twilight Princess is as close to as good as OoT as you can get.

All fair points.

Windwaker was brilliant. One of these days I'll get a Wii and play Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. I hope.

Still playing a LOT of Gems of War but also playing Styx, Master of Shadows too. nearly to the end of Styx. It has a LOT of quirks but is a solid stealth game. Started playing Evolve last night too. Still learning the ropes on that one.

It feels like a Zelda game, just with a very distinctive twist. One that I personally like. The open world nature of the game is truly amazing. I haven't really been doing quests, just exploring the world and taking things in, beating shrines when I can.

It feels like a Zelda game, just with a very distinctive twist. One that I personally like. The open world nature of the game is truly amazing. I haven't really been doing quests, just exploring the world and taking things in, beating shrines when I can.

For sure! I love the open world, and I end up spending most of my time just exploring it and trying to remember where I found items I need.
Really, I just think it feels like a zelda game that was put on top of another game. Kind of like they skinned another video game with a Zelda story... oh well, it doesn't really matter, the game is great!!!

Ok, last nit to pick: the story line (so far, I'm 2 divine beasts in) isn't nearly as deep as previous offerings, especially compared to Twilight Princess.

I don't have Switch but I do have Wii U. I have always loved the Zelda games. I plan on getting BoW for Wii U. Kind of sad about no gems in pots/grass or no rolling. Obviously this is a different game but those were big parts of the game. Not important parts but parts that made it Zelda for me. Rolling isn't as bad but breaking pots and cutting grass has been in pretty much all of them. Will still probably buy it.

Anyone play Playerunknown's Battlegrounds? It is on Steam right now in early access for $30. I'm going to wait for it to go on sale. It looks really fun. A cool new take on FPS. It is a mash of CS:GO, COD and Battlefield with a unique time aspect. I believe the map starts with 96 players. You can play single or teams of two players. Everyone starts off in an airplane and you drop in on the map where ever you want. You start off with nothing. Everything must be found on the ground which gives everyone the same playing field unlike COD or CS:GO where you earn better weapons. Vehicles can be used. Once you land and pick up your weapons and armor, you then just need to be the last standing. The big difference between this game and the other FPS is there is a circle that you must stay in. The circle gets smaller every few minutes. This makes it so people can't camp in one spot. If you are out of the circle you start losing HP quickly. At the end when there are less than 5 people, the circle is really small and there aren't many places to hide. If you want to watch someone play, search summit1g on Twitch. One of the top players right now.

So for the last month for the most part I've played 2 games. Breath of the Wild and Mass Effect: Andromeda. Couldn't be 2 more different games. Ignoring the core differences, just the polish of the games is so drastic. Zelda just feels so much smoother of a game. Mass Effect seems like 50% loading screens. My GF's brother has it but his TV is lower quality and he has the original XB1 and I have the One S and 4K TV and there is a noticeable graphics difference in terms of dropped frames, blur etc.

BReath of the Wild has some loading screens, but it's so minimal, the game looks so good and seems polished. And I know it's because it's simpler than Mass Effect, but I don't feel cheated even a littlebit like I do with Mass Effect when I walk up to a character I'm supposed to talk to and hit Y to talk to him/her and it doesn't work. Or walk up to doors sometimes they require you to press Y, sometimes they do not, sometimes for the same door, sometimes you walk up to doors and they take seconds to open sometimes they open instantly. That's not even mentioning the planetary load screens which drive me up a wall having to take 30 seconds to travel from planet to planet in the same system, add another 30 if you're changing systems. Whic for a game that's about planet hopping is time consuming.

I fear that Mass Effect Andromeda is gonna move to the back of the pile with Overwatch and BotW taking up almost all of my time.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkwX4o4dHqY[/ame]

been playing this again.

It's a whole new game now :)

Have recently reconnected my old pre-HDMI surround receiver and bought my son (and me) a PS4 to add to our XBox One.

Was surprised to learn that the PS4 slim does not have a optical out and that my TV downmixes multi channel audio to 2 channel from HDMI sources. Ugh.

Found a possible solution called a HDMI Audio Extractor. Anyone here mess with these little boxes? any audio delay issues?

Andromeda is a bit of a mixed bag to me, it was decent story wise, it wasn't as well done as the previous games.

office politics and the fact that it was done by some side team, not the main team seems to have made it worse.

having a lot of fun with guild wars 2 at the moment though.

Back