Apple Cider onto a used nottingham yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patton191

Reaction score
In a few weeks my red ale will be maturing and I want to to create an apple cider. Initially I was going to create Edwort's apfelwein, but I decided I would like to go with a sweeter cider as opposed to montrachet and 2 pounds of corn sugar. I figured nottingham would work out alright, but would it be a better idea to try and harvest the yeast or something and then repitch it? Or should I just throw the apple juice in there and see how it comes along.

I know there is some rule or something to do from lighter to darker or something, but as you can see I really am new to the whole re-pitching deal.

Also, I know its like a $1.25 for a pack, but I figured this would be a good way to learn how to re-use yeast for whenever I get into liquid yeasts.

Patton

I've been wanting to try a cider with ale yeast. Let us know how it turns out.

Does anyone have any ideas? I really don't know much about dumping on the yeast cake especially if one is jumping from beer to cider. Any insight will help big time.

Thanks

Patton

Latest posts

Back