Death by Coconut Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been researching for a month or so and finally brewed this over the weekend. Here's the recipe:
http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1306751/death-by-coconut-attack-of-the-clone

Here are my findings:
- about 1.3 pounds of coconut per 5gal
- use cholaca if at all possible (no idea how much yet, but add to secondary to taste)
- grain bill based on Reddit AMA with Oskar Blues
- I chose to add flaked oats for head retention to counteract the potential coconut oil
- My LHBS was out of Cali 001 so I used 4x SafAle S-05 (10gal batch)

It's bubbling away in primary now, I'll update with notes after transfer, tasting, and additions. Cheers!

Ok, so I toasted 3lb of organic coconut in the oven at 350° for about 5-8min (turning a bit to keep it even). Laid out the coconut on paper towels to soak up any oils (pans were fairly oily). So I added 1.5lb to a carboy and it was a big 'ol PITA getting these coarse shreds through the funnel into the carboy. So for the remaining 5gal, I used a vinyl bag in a bucket (worlds easier going in).

Tasting notes: Roasty, malty nose but nothing too spectacular. Medium body and expected color for a porter. Tasted boozier than expected, but not overwhelming (1.070 OG / 1.016 FG = 7.1ABV). Lots of coffee, chocolate, burnt toast, and some toffee / caramel on the finish. Really pleased with it so far. After racking onto the coconut I took a big whiff from the bucket and WOWZA it's a punch of chocolate and coconut; straight up almond joy. Excited to add the Cholaca next week.

I've included a few photos.

IMG_20161103_201729.jpg

IMG_20161103_203701.jpg

IMG_20161103_204935.jpg

IMG_20161103_221227.jpg

I wonder if the coconut will soak up beer? How long are you going to leave the coconut?

It will - I lose a fair amount to the coconut in my stout, but I typically toast most of mine till it's almost brown, and use a much finer shred. Maybe I should find some of these larger flakes.

Wanted to see how this came out. I was really impressed with Death By Coconut but at $12/4 pack it seems like it's very worthwhile to home brew it!
Thx in advance,

Nice... how's the taste? I just put my 4th incarnation of coconut stout in primary saturday, decided to add cocoa nibs this time to see how it reacts.

I've made a coconut IPA a couple of times. I haven't toasted the coconut. It is a great beer. I may have to try this soon.

An update since I bottled in December (it's been a crazy month or so):
- Cholaca is DENSE. Run the bottle under warm water to heat/loosen it up for an even mixture, otherwise you'll get a thick sludge into your bottling bucket.
- I decided to split my batch into two: 5gal with 6oz cholaca, and 5gal without
- In this recipe, at least, I felt the bitterness and chocolatiness was already plentiful and the Cholaca did more harm than good (but let's be honest, it's still very drinkable; I mean it's beer, c'mon).
- Yes, i said 6oz cholaca into ~5gal; it's pure liquid cacao and is 100% incorporated into the liquid, so a little goes a long way (at least in a porter)

I will also recommend toasting the coconut a bit longer than I showed in my photo earlier in this thread; the coconut flavor is certainly there, but it's distinct and not as meshed with the roasted/toasted profile as I'd like.

Submitted it for Champion of the Pint in St. Louis, we'll see how it does!

I actually do prefer the non-cholaca version. I didn't play with blending rates like I should have, didn't think 6oz would be so aggressive. I'd start smaller, or even measure up a much smaller amount (beer in oz and cholaca in small specific amounts) to get the flavor right and scale up for the batch.

Meh, hindsight 20/20, and really the cholaca version isn't bad at all, I just prefer the base version. Damn perfectionism always gets the best of us. RDWHAHB.

I am thinking of brewing this. Love the original beer. I find that it has a hint of sweetness. With that being said do you think your recipe could use any lactose, or is it pretty spot on?

I agree, this recipe isn't as sweet as original DBC, so give an addition of lacto a try, that may help balance the Cholaca bitterness for a more "milk chocolate" flavor profile. And keep us posted, of course!

And FWIW, Oskar Blues never mentioned flaked oats. I threw it in for a bit more body, but that may have also added to some bitterness.

After first tasting Death by Coconut at Oskar Blues last winter, my wife asked me to take a shot at replicating it. So last summer I brewed up what I hoped would be a clone and it turned out really nice. I entered it into a comp a few months later and it received a gold medal.

The base beer was Jamil's Robust Porter recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. To that I added toasted coconut to the boil, to primary a week before kegging, and to the keg (left in the keg until it kicked). I also added a couple vanilla beans to the boil and some DIY vanilla extract to the keg, as well as cacao nibs to the keg. This was my first attempt at a coconut brew and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it came out. It was very much a crowd pleaser and I'll definitely brew it again.

Has anyone added maltodextrine? I hadded 8oz per 5 gallons. Waiting till this weekend to keg mine.

Just got results from the annual "Champion of the Pint" competition in St. Louis and, while this didn't place, it scored a 39. Pleased, but obviously there's room for improvement. Would like to hear how everyone's turns out!

I made a clone of Kona brewery coconut cream ale. I never had the beer, I live in PA, and went from reviews I read online. I made a base cream ale and added some toasted coconut and some extract as well. Turns out I pretty much nailed the original. A friend from Hawaii said it is pretty much spot on. Now I want to make one with a little lime zest!

Resurrecting an old thread I know but I recently was able to try DBC and loved it. I was wondering if you guys had any other feedback or different iterations and how they came out?

Resurrecting an old thread I know but I recently was able to try DBC and loved it. I was wondering if you guys had any other feedback or different iterations and how they came out?
Hi. I just kegged another batch last weekend. Although it's been chillin' in the fermentation chamber for about three weeks @35°F, it still needs to age and carbonate some more. A sample pulled last night was good and very promising. The main things I did different on this batch were:
  1. Did not use any "real" coconut at all (it's a royal PITA to use) in either boil, fermentation, or kegging
  2. Used a secondary and added 8 oz ground cacao nibs (1/2 toasted) soaked in ~12 oz Dark Rum plus 1 cup dark honey (to reactivate yeast to help scavenge oxygen introduced at racking). Let it sit for about 3-4 weeks @ 66°F.
  3. Added about 18 ml of pure coconut extract (this stuff is strong) and 4 tsp of pure vanilla extract at kegging (next time I'll reduce coconut extract to ~14-15 ml if taste doesn't mellow out a little.)
  4. Added 5 oz (by weight) of Maltodextrin dissolved in 1c. boiling water at kegging for mouth feel.
Like I said, this batch shows real promise, but like @woo_pig said above, you have to let it age a bit. I found the last batch really didn't hit it's stride until it was almost gone (about 4 months later.) Like they say, the last pint is often the best (see my last one below.) Hope this helps. Ed
:mug:

Attachments

• Coconut Chocolate Stout.jpg
    Coconut Chocolate Stout.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 156
Use the coconut or chocolate coconut extracts off here, trust me:

http://www.apexflavors.com/Beverage-Industry/Craft-Brewing

The Mounds Bar chocolate coconut one tastes exactly like Death by Coconut.

This is the same company that DuClaw buys the extract to flavor Sweet Baby Jesus.

They are outstanding, I have used a few of them.

Don't waste your time with real coconut or any of that nonsense.

This is the same company that DuClaw buys the extract to flavor Sweet Baby Jesus.
Wow, now that stuff is strong! I checked their website, and they recommend starting at 0.20% in beer and adjust to taste. If my math is correct, that's 1.28 oz for a five gallon batch (128 oz * 5 gal * 0.002.) I'll definitely give them a try next time and forego the coconut and cacao nibs. Thanks. Ed

Wow, now that stuff is strong! I checked their website, and they recommend starting at 0.20% in beer and adjust to taste. If my math is correct, that's 1.28 oz for a five gallon batch (128 oz * 5 gal * 0.002.) I'll definitely give them a try next time and forego the coconut and cacao nibs. Thanks. Ed

Yep! Definitely make sure to do the math right and buy the smallest bottle possible. I can promise you won't be disappointed. Their stuff is just great. I brewed 15 gallons of porter and kegged six 2.5 gallon batches each with a different flavor off there and they're all delicious. And I didn't have to screw with any real fruit or other stuff. Grocery store extracts are crap, but this stuff is the real deal.

Diverting back a tad, I am getting ready to brew the recipe from the December BYO. I have entered the recipe exactly as is into Brewer's Friend and I'm struggling to get the OG and FG to come out. The magazine recipe states 1.067 OG and 1.017 FG. Brewer's Friend comes up with 1.078 OG and 1.014 FG for a 8.36% beer, not a 6.5% beer as the magazine states. I started at 65% efficiency, per their standardization too. Before some scaling for efficiency and batch size, I took out 2 lbs of base pale malt which give me a 1.068 and 1.013. Getting closer, but drier and still over 7.5%. I tried adding some lactose, but I'm having to add a bunch to get the FG up to 1.017. Any ideas?

Diverting back a tad, I am getting ready to brew the recipe from the December BYO. I have entered the recipe exactly as is into Brewer's Friend and I'm struggling to get the OG and FG to come out. The magazine recipe states 1.067 OG and 1.017 FG. Brewer's Friend comes up with 1.078 OG and 1.014 FG for a 8.36% beer, not a 6.5% beer as the magazine states. I started at 65% efficiency, per their standardization too. Before some scaling for efficiency and batch size, I took out 2 lbs of base pale malt which give me a 1.068 and 1.013. Getting closer, but drier and still over 7.5%. I tried adding some lactose, but I'm having to add a bunch to get the FG up to 1.017. Any ideas?
Hi. I also use Brewer's Friend and would be happy to look it over if you shared your recipe (I'm also RedlegEd on BF as well.) BTW, which beer was it? Ed

Sorry, I should have been more clear. It is the Death by Coconut recipe. I tried all sorts of changes like adding lactose and other crystal malts, raising the mash temp, etc. I tried the other recipe from the Reddit conversation with the head brewer. Same numbers. Turns out just changing the yeast from US-05 to S-04 English Ale hit the bullseye. Just a little less attenuation. Doesn't match the recipe but S-04 is still a pretty neutral, clean yeast from what I know? I'm going to try the recipe from Reddit first...

76% Pale 2-row
6% Dark Crystal 80L
4% Coffee Malt
4% Extra Dark Crystal 160+L
3.5% Midnight Wheat (recipe calls for Carafa II, but I have this I need to use up)
3.5% Chocolate
3% Munich 10L

Mash at 153F for an hour, 90 minute boil.
Ferment at 68F using S-04 instead of US-05.

In secondary, toasted coconut at 1.3 lbs per 5 gal, and still debating how much Cholaca to use.

Thanks for the tip! Are you adding this extract after racking to secondary and does it need time to sit or is it basically instant flavor?

Hi. I just kegged another batch last weekend. Although it's been chillin' in the fermentation chamber for about three weeks @35°F, it still needs to age and carbonate some more. A sample pulled last night was good and very promising. The main things I did different on this batch were:
  1. Did not use any "real" coconut at all (it's a royal PITA to use) in either boil, fermentation, or kegging
  2. Used a secondary and added 8 oz ground cacao nibs (1/2 toasted) soaked in ~12 oz Dark Rum plus 1 cup dark honey (to reactivate yeast to help scavenge oxygen introduced at racking). Let it sit for about 3-4 weeks @ 66°F.
  3. Added about 18 ml of pure coconut extract (this stuff is strong) and 4 tsp of pure vanilla extract at kegging (next time I'll reduce coconut extract to ~14-15 ml if taste doesn't mellow out a little.)
  4. Added 5 oz (by weight) of Maltodextrin dissolved in 1c. boiling water at kegging for mouth feel.
Like I said, this batch shows real promise, but like @woo_pig said above, you have to let it age a bit. I found the last batch really didn't hit it's stride until it was almost gone (about 4 months later.) Like they say, the last pint is often the best (see my last one below.) Hope this helps. Ed

didn't see your reply before my previous post,thanks for sharing. I'll give the extract a shot and see how it goes.

Just got my Coconut and Chocolate extracts today! I’ll report back when I know more. [emoji482]

Just got my Coconut and Chocolate extracts today! I’ll report back when I know more. [emoji482]

Good luck! The chocolate coconut one is really great. Make sure to take the %'s they recommend seriously. It's easy to over do it. Can't wait to hear what you think of it!

Thanks for the tip! Are you adding this extract after racking to secondary and does it need time to sit or is it basically instant flavor?

I add at kegging and it's basically instant flavor. No need for aging or anything like that.

I just add the measured amount in my keg and rack right on top of it. Then once I've sealed the keg and purged the oxygen I just shake it up and bunch and it's mixed nicely.

I add at kegging and it's basically instant flavor. No need for aging or anything like that.

I just add the measured amount in my keg and rack right on top of it. Then once I've sealed the keg and purged the oxygen I just shake it up and bunch and it's mixed nicely.

I'm about to keg my batch today and want to have a double check on the usage amounts -

.10% for porter/stout beers per label
5 gal * .10% = .005 gal
.005 gal = 0.64 oz

Does that amount seem along the same lines as your experience?

Back