Not even vaguely gourmet....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 medium onion
1 or 2 potatoes
1 stick butter
1 package bratts
1 bottle beer

Melt butter in pan,cut up onion and potato and put in with the butter,place bratts in the pan and pour in the beer.Bring to a boil then turn down to simmer with the lid on for about an hour,or until the liquid thickens like a gravy.

You've a recipe for this?

I've tried and tried to make this, but it seems if you're not Filipino it don't turn out. Same with pancit.

Dammit, now I'm hungry for lumpia and pancit. :eek:

Oh, and pancit what? Pancit is the adjective needing a noun. Equivalent to the word is "Fast Food" or "easy to cook". Can be noodles, rice, etc..

For breakfast take an avocado cut in half, remove seed, crack an egg into each hole ...bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes until white is set and yolk is still runny. Top with cheddar and cook just to melt. Serve with toast and bacon

Mac N Cheese, Tuna and Peas.

Made once while backpacking with a friend and is now a family favorite (except my little one who doesn't like it with peas...)

I prefer the shells and cheese myself, but use what you got.

I used to do something similar to this with mac n cheese, can of tuna fish, can of cream of mushroom soup and a little milk or water to thin it out a little bit. I did add frozen peas on occasion.

niquejim said:
For breakfast take an avocado cut in half, remove seed, crack an egg into each hole ...bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes until white is set and yolk is still runny. Top with cheddar and cook just to melt. Serve with toast and bacon

So something similar with bread in a frying pan with butter
Cut hole in bread with a small glass and drop egg in hole and frying up like grilled cheese

Egg in a hole !

1 medium onion
1 or 2 potatoes
1 stick butter
1 package bratts
1 bottle beer

Melt butter in pan,cut up onion and potato and put in with the butter,place bratts in the pan and pour in the beer.Bring to a boil then turn down to simmer with the lid on for about an hour,or until the liquid thickens like a gravy.

Works good with country style ribs also.

My favorite salt-laden grease bomb is the Jersey equivalent of a fried bologna and cheese on a buttered and toasted kaiser - known in Jersey as a Pork Roll with Cheese. Toss a fried egg on there and its called a heart-stopper. Picture here: http://www.jerseybites.com/2010/12/breakfast-state/pork-roll-egg-and-cheese/

Taylor pork roll FTW! A fried slice of that with a fried egg and orange cheese on an English muffin. My heart fibrillates at the mere thought!

One of my faves... Ramen noodles cooked in water, drained, add the juice of one lime, some chili sauce and the seasoning packet. Yum!

This was a quick lunch Saturday before going fishing. I have to say I was pleased and it kind of reminded me of when I was in Korea and had Bibim.

Frito pie. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a pile of Fritos corn chips drowned in chili with melted cheese on top. If you want to get fancy, add some diced onions on top.

You already got fancy when you said 'pile of Fritos'. I've only had Frito Pie in the little bag. :D

A couple of regional favs:
Tomato sandwich. I'll admit to 'fancying' it up with homebaked bread. I can't/won't eat grocery store bread.

Pimiento cheese! There are lots of fancy versions, but can't beat duke's mayo, orange cheddar, and those little jars of pimiento.

Frito Pie..... Fritos, Hormel Chili (No Beans, you commie!) and enough shredded cheddar and chopped onions to choke Oprah and you're in business.

Thunder_Chicken said:
Taylor pork roll FTW! A fried slice of that with a fried egg and orange cheese on an English muffin. My heart fibrillates at the mere thought!

Me likes that on a warm everything bagel. I enjoyed a couple on my visit to northern NJ this weekend. Taylor ham seems to be spreading, I can now find it in central NY where as I couldn't a few years ago.

I'll throw in an old standby that I haven't made in ages, quick chicken pot pie: pilsbury crust, can of cream of chicken soup, can of mixed veggies, some cooked chicken breast, bake and them eat that bad boy

MyNameIsPaul said:
Frito Pie..... Fritos, Hormel Chili (No Beans, you commie!) and enough shredded cheddar and chopped onions to choke Oprah and you're in business.

Haha but how long would it take to shred THAT much cheese and onions?

One of my faves... Ramen noodles cooked in water, drained, add the juice of one lime, some chili sauce and the seasoning packet. Yum!

I do this too. Sometimes I'll add lime juice, sriracha, jalapenos and cilantro to the broth and try to convince myself I'm eating really crappy pho. :D

I also eat goetta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goetta). Basically it's all the leftover parts of the pig cooked up with steel-cut oats for filler. I'll put that in grilled cheese sandwiches, breakfast burritos...all sorts of greasy and unholy creations.

You already got fancy when you said 'pile of Fritos'. I've only had Frito Pie in the little bag. :D

A couple of regional favs:
Tomato sandwich. I'll admit to 'fancying' it up with homebaked bread. I can't/won't eat grocery store bread.

Pimiento cheese! There are lots of fancy versions, but can't beat duke's mayo, orange cheddar, and those little jars of pimiento.

Yes, leave the Fritos in the bag.
And Gabe, that sandwich IS better on Bunny Bread.
Oh, but you're a Duke's person. May have to question your judgement. Hellman's is the only real mayo. :-D

6661317506.jpg

Turkey burgers with the ubiquitous packet of ranch dressing, an egg, and some italian breadcrumbs. Sometimes I get all fancy and use crushed goldfish in the mix instead of breadcrumbs. Seems to be a big hit with the family and the turkey winds up tasting like a sausage patty.

Paired that last night with my RyePA.

****-on-a-shingle, or SOS. My dad was in the Navy and had it on the boat, I guess he missed it because my mom used to make it for dinner a few times a year. Man, it's definitely not gourmet, or healthy, but it is pretty damn good for simple fare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipped_beef

Had this for supper last Thursday, made with moose, onions, garlic, home made cream of wild mushroom soup over

Instant Mashed Potatoes, that's what the wife wanted and that's we we ate!

This may have been mentioned, haven't read all the posts yet, but here is my contribution:

1 lb Velveeta Cheese
1 can Ro-Tel, undrained
1 can Hormel Chili

Enjoy with tortilla chips or whatever else goes well with spicy cheese

Also pairs well with beer and football.

Mmmmm might make this later today...

So something similar with bread in a frying pan with butter
Cut hole in bread with a small glass and drop egg in hole and frying up like grilled cheese

Egg in a hole !

+1 to this. At my house we call it Holey Toast. I haven't figured out how to make an image of Jesus appear in the toast yet though.

This may have been mentioned, haven't read all the posts yet, but here is my contribution:

1 lb Velveeta Cheese
1 can Ro-Tel, undrained
1 can Hormel Chili

Not sure if I've ever had it with the Hormel in there, but it's amazing how good the Ro-Tel/Velveeta combo is.

Not sure if I've ever had it with the Hormel in there, but it's amazing how good the Ro-Tel/Velveeta combo is.

Definitely. We used to make it with just Ro-Tel and Velveeta as kids. I started making (er... I mean heating up...) the Hormel chili and serving it as a second dip next to the cheese, then I thought to myself... Why not just mix 'em together. It's awesome. Try it, you'll be glad you did. :ban:

1 lb Velveeta Cheese
1 can Ro-Tel, undrained
1 can Hormel Chili

Also good with instead of the chilli use a pound of hamburger or breakfast sausage.

Cooked elbow macaroni, cubed Velveeta "cheese", cooked and crumbled ground beef. Mix in caserole dish, bake at 350F until top is bubbly and carmelized. So bad, yet so good. Haven't had it in years though.

I'd spike this with Worcestershire and a little tabasco.

Thread resurrection...

cheezy chicken rice.
saute raw brown rice with butter, ham, cubed chicken, shallots, and garlic until they are somewhat browned. add stock (or broth - i know we've had this discussion somewhere) and a package of shredded Italian cheese blend. Throw into the oven at 375 until the rice is done.

Our Chicken and Rice:
Ingredients:
Chicken - We use any leftover chicken (turkey, duck, goose, etc. meat, shredded)
Bacon
Rice – we use a blend of wild and brown rice
Carrots
Onions
Celery
Garlic
Butter
Stock (enough for rice to cook but leave finished mixture kind of like a pilaf)
Optional – mushrooms, we usually use reconstituted wild mushrooms we foraged and dried.

Brown several strips of bacon in bottom of large pot, drain off excess grease. Crumble bacon.
In the same pot, add diced carrots, onions, celery and about 2tbsp of butter. Sauté until onions begin to become translucent, add minced garlic and sauté for a few more minutes.
Add rice and stock, let simmer for about an hour. Add crumbled bacon and shredded chicken.
Simmer for about 30 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve.

Mostly, we make this in the winter as a stick to your ribs and keep you warm kind of meal. We sometimes make this just like a stew with more broth and serve it in a bread bowl.

Back