Primo Stir plate made easy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure its a good idea to post a list being I'm trying to communicate as best I can. I'm also getting emails from some that have not posted so it's a little confusing. See edit below. It is fun as hell sending out stuff for you guys that labs normally pay some big bux for. We gonna make some brews withit :ban: and please make sure you post up your version when you have it the way you want it. Certainly there should be better magnets and stir bar configurations. I'm going to try and set one up for the plastic Better Bottles if I can.
Carry On :mug:

Only posted it so that others would know (about) how many people had already requested. I know there is a limited number of these things. If you'd prefer i'll pull the list that i posted.

FYI,
Since my wife dropped off the first one to the post office the other day with out getting a confirmation number and insurance we will need to make sure we get paid for it in the future. The one that was sent today she did get a confirmation number for and it was an extra .70 cents. When I asked the lady at the post office how much everything would be she mis quoted the price. I think with insurance that would add another .80 cents. So in the future those that want the 2 extras (confirmation and insurance) it will be $17.30 to get one shipped that way. I think that leaves me with a nickel for gas and packing tape. lol
Those that I've already sent emails to are ok as is because of a generous tip given.
Carry on :mug:

FYI,
Those that I've already sent emails to are ok as is because of a generous tip given.
Carry on :mug:
Not sure I'll be able to give a "generous tip" but I would hope everyone would give you something extra.:mug:

for all those that are getting these i was going to order some magnets from magnets4less.com. they have some super strong magnets (strong that you can find in stores) for cheap but the shipping is pretty high. Would the people that got them like to get some? If so i wil order a bunch and ship them out at cost $3-4 shipped. Of course bigbeavk will be getting a set for free

I used the rare earth magnets that were about 3/4" long 1/2" wide and 1/16" thick approximately. 2 stacks about 5 high end to end. They will stick to the center shaft of the motor just fine. I would be careful about ordering 1 big magnet because if the polarity is wrong the stir bar will not center itself and fly off. Here's a link to some 1"x1"x 1/8" magnets that cost $12.99 for a four pack. 2 packs would be needed or you can glue a spacer onto the motor and just use a four pack. There is a little over 1/2" from the top of the unit to the motor.
Here's a link

http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/p-30-nsn0613.aspx

Here's a link to the same stir bar I bought. I would like to try one that is 3/8" or 1/2" diameter but the 5/18 seamed to work ok. There is all kinds of shapes and sizes so pick what you want or find an assortment and have some fun.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fisher-Magnetic-Stir-bar-51-x-8mm-2-x-5-16-inch-/290492546684?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a2b47e7c

The .090 thick lexan is available at Home Depot in a 1' x 2' sheet for around $24.00 Just be careful using a table saw because it feels like it is going to take flight when you start cutting. It may have been a dull blade but I just went slow and cut 2 pieces. I used the double sided 3m mount molding tape usually found at auto parts stores to hold the lexan on.
Here a linky
http://www.amazon.com/3M-03616-Scotch-Mount-Molding-Tape/dp/B0026HOTZ2

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a little over 1/2" from the top of the unit to the motor.

How close would a 1/2" magnet be? I can get some for $1 each (with $11 shipping)

anyone else that was lucky enough to get one want to split the price with me? I think there is 4 of us so that would be about $6 to $7 after shipping.

When I measured with calipers it was .531 from the top of the motor to the top of the unit. So 1/2 should be fine. Ebay has a ton of these magnets to choose from as well.

Got it yesterday. This thing is sweet! What would be the problem with just putting some toolbox liner (mesh material to keep the container from sliding around) on top of the stir plate instead of lexan? Do I need to cover the whole top?

We are out of them for now. As soon as some become available I'll get them moving out again. I hope everyone has some fun with these baby's.

Got it yesterday. This thing is sweet! What would be the problem with just putting some toolbox liner (mesh material to keep the container from sliding around) on top of the stir plate instead of lexan? Do I need to cover the whole top?

You don't have to put anything on the top. Just be careful especially if you are going to mix a big carboy. And of course don't spill anything into it. Ebay has a lot of nice rare earth magnets and stir bars as well.

My first experiment is going to be mixing a mead! I figure if I warm everything up and mix it in slowly we should be good to go. :mug:

You still have them at $16.50 with tracking and insurance added?
Count me in for one once they become available again.
Thanks for the genous offer plus extra payment will be added.
Information sent .com.

You don't have to put anything on the top. Just be careful especially if you are going to mix a big carboy. And of course don't spill anything into it. Ebay has a lot of nice rare earth magnets and stir bars as well.

My first experiment is going to be mixing a mead! I figure if I warm everything up and mix it in slowly we should be good to go. :mug:

Gotcha. I don't have any plans for a carboy yet. But I'll keep that in mind. thanks

how are people sticking these magnets to the base? I tested mine and only the center is magnetic. The outer areas bust be SS cause i cant get the magnet to stick. I was going to buy 2 cube magnets to go on opposite sides near the edge to match up with the North and South poles of the stir bar. However I cant do this cause the magnets I use need to touch the very middle to stick. I was thinking about a 2"X0.5"X0.25" bar magnet but all the ones i see are polarized through the thickness not length. I will need to check if this will work polarized through the thickness. I want to make it super strong so I can spin a 2" stir bar at max speed to use in my boil kettle to keep the wort moving as I chill with my inner cooler

Dang it I thought I posted this pic. My magnets held on to the center post well so I just stacked them up as high as I could. I would like to see if a wider patch of magnets would allow it to go to a higher rpm for aerating better. I don't think you want to aerate hot wort though.

Warning these magnets can flip over and pinch the heck out of ya and draw blood:eek:

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h405/Beerme1/PICT0003.jpg

Well I haven't heard from Musical yet so I guess I'll give him until next Tuesday and then message the next person in line. Come on Musical I know you're out there working hard somewhere!

Ok I haven't heard from Musicawal so ere109 check your messages please. Those who don't respond please do not worry you will get one. I know with this economy people are hard at work and can't check the forum that often. So far the original list goes like this for an update.

MSOE_HomeBrew No Response yet
ghart999 (received)
ChandlerBang (received)
jbrookeiv (Declined)
ekjohns (received)
Sheldon (received)
musicawal No Response yet
ere109 (received)
chady74 message sent!
tbel
Xalwine
I_B_Mongo
eleets2144
trl2112
Fetus
wolverinebrewer
rboucher

I'll add others to the list when this one is finished.

Not sure if my earlier response indicated I would like to be on the list so . . . .

Please sir, I would like to be on the list.

For those that are trying to get their magnets to work here's the way mine was set up. I posted a link a few pages back but some haven't seen this yet. I've also been able to slip some spacers in between these so it doesn't use as many magnets.

PICT0003.jpg

A pretty usps box was waiting on my porch when I got home. Excellent. Thanks so my h.

I would love one of these, and I have absolutely no problem waiting because I'm deployed to Iraq. If you can get it to me by August, I would have it to play with during R&R, otherwise I won't be back until December.

Anyways, add me to the list!

I would love one of these, and I have absolutely no problem waiting because I'm deployed to Iraq. If you can get it to me by August, I would have it to play with during R&R, otherwise I won't be back until December.

I will be honored to send you one. Let me know when you get back and you will be taken care of for sure.

Thanks you for serving!

I thank you (and your family) for your service.

Back