Possible Recipe - Hopworks IPA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobita

Reaction score
Hey all, I am planning for my second homebrew batch (first one is still in the secondary) and I'm trying to replicate an IPA from Hopworks which is a brewery near my home in Portland OR. I couldn't find an actual recipe, but their website said this:

Organic Hopworks IPA

Our namesake IPA is a Northwest classic. Generous additions of Amarillo, Centennial, and Cascade hops find their way into the kettle, hop-back, and dry-hop. This judicious use of the "brewers spice" creates rich and resinous flavors of citrus fruit and pine. The finest organic Canadian pilsner malt and organic Munich and Caramel malts then bring balance to your new favorite beer.

6.6% ABV
15 Degrees Plato OG
75 IBU

--------------------
I took this info to my LHBS and they helped me out with this recipe (I am using extract):

8 oz 10L crystal
8 oz munich
10 lbs. extra light malt extract

1 oz amarillo 60 min
1 oz centenial 20 min
1 oz centenial 10 min
1 oz cascade 10 min
1 oz cascade 1 min
1 oz amarillo dry hop

The target beer is pretty light in color so they also advised me to add most of the LME late in the boil, like with maybe 10 minutes left. What do you guys think...does this sound good?

I enjoyed that beer, while I was out there last summer. I think you are on the right track (nice when brewers just list the basics on their website).

It sounds fine as is, although I would move the 20 min Centennials to 60, the 10 min addition to 0, and the 10 min Cascades to dry hop. I like to really push the aromatics in an IPA, that mid-late boil additions won't add nearly as much as flameout and dry hop additions. I might even go back and get enough hops to do 1 oz of each at 0 and dry hop...

I assume that is liquid malt extract? Sounds like you might be a bit on the high side for gravity. Even without the steeping grains you are looking at 1.076, not including losses to the hops. I’d think 9 lbs would get you there, but no hard in a slightly bigger beer if you don’t mind the alcohol.

I assume you are fermenting with a clean ale yeast?

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I will try that - moving more of the hops to flameout and dry hopping. I love the aromatics myself.

And yes, it's liquid malt extract that I will be using. I would prefer to keep the final ABV near the target of 6.6, so maybe i should use less LME? I was also planning to try a full boil this time (i have an 8 gallon pot and a wort chiller that i made but haven't used yet). If I do that though i am not sure if I need to steep the grains in less water , or if I need to adjust the hops to account for that?

For the yeast i was planning to use SafeAle 05 dry american ale but they were out of that so I got Nottingham dry yeast instead. Think that will work?

Nottingham should be fine. Full boil is almost a must for a really hoppy beer, otherwise it is hard to hit those high IBUs. 2 oz of high AA% hops should be enough to bitter. 9 lbs of LME will get you to 1.068, although you'll lose some gravity to hop absorption and gain some from the grain (you can steep them in ~.5 gallon of water while the main pot comes up to a boil). SHould be fine for getting mid-6's ABV. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice! Took an awesome tour of the HUB brewery today and they actually offered to hook me up with some of their ale yeast. I cant wait to brew this recipe!

Cheers:mug:

Nobita,

Glad to hear you made it in for a tour. Below is the recipe I've put together to homebrew our Organic Hopworks IPA. Best of luck, and bring us a sample when its done!

Hopworks Organic IPA - 5 Gallon Homebrew

MASH
15 Plato/1060 Original Gravity
Mash for 80% Attenuation (around 152F)

9# Organic Pilsner Malt
.5# Organic Munich 10L
.5# Organic Caramel 40 (or equivalent)
.1#Organic Caramel 15 (or equivalent)

HOPS
Boil Start:
.25 oz Magnum

15 Minutes to End Boil:
.5oz each Cascade/Centennial/Amarillo

Boil Stop:
1oz each Cascade/Centennial/Amarillo

Dry Hop:
.25oz each Cascade/Centennial/Amarillo

Ben Love
Head Brewer
Hopworks Urban Brewery

Nobita,

Glad to hear you made it in for a tour. Below is the recipe I've put together to homebrew our Organic Hopworks IPA. Best of luck, and bring us a sample when its done!

MASH

9# Organic Pilsner Malt
.5# Organic Munich 10L

HOPS
Boil Start:
.25 oz Magnum

15 Minutes to End Boil:

Boil Stop:

Dry Hop:

Ben Love
Head Brewer
Hopworks Urban Brewery

Thank looks great! Thanks for sharing it with us. I've never had the pleasure of having that beer (a bit far away!) but I can tell from the recipe that I'd love it. Of course, I"d love any beer that had the words "Hopworks" in it, I guess!

Nobita,

MASH

9# Organic Pilsner Malt
.5# Organic Munich 10L

HOPS
Boil Start:
.25 oz Magnum

15 Minutes to End Boil:

Boil Stop:

Dry Hop:

Ben Love
Head Brewer
Hopworks Urban Brewery

Hey Ben,

Wow, thank you so much for posting the actual recipe! I already brewed up the "guess" version, but now that I have the real one I'll have to try this again. In fact, I may just step up to all grain sooner than I planned, so I can try to do it some justice!

You guys are really making some fantastic beer at HUB. It's great to have you contributing to this forum too. I'll definitely stop by with a sample (as long as it doesn't suck). :mug:

Oh man went to HUB for a friends bachelor party and did the brewery tour, fantastic beer, fantastic people, fantastic food!!! Highly reccomend visiting if your ever in the Portland area!

Nobita,

MASH

9# Organic Pilsner Malt
.5# Organic Munich 10L

HOPS
Boil Start:
.25 oz Magnum

15 Minutes to End Boil:

Boil Stop:

Dry Hop:

Ben Love
Head Brewer
Hopworks Urban Brewery

You know, I just looked more closely, and I think there must be a typo in the magnum. .25 ounce would be very very low- maybe 30 IBUs. That doesn't seem right to me.

Yeah, that does seem low on the IBUs. Hopefully Ben will check back and let us know...

You know, I just looked more closely, and I think there must be a typo in the magnum. .25 ounce would be very very low- maybe 30 IBUs. That doesn't seem right to me.

Ya 36 IBU..

Going to need 1oz of magnum for 70 IBU with that recipe (77 actually). If it was a typo and he meant 0.75 that would be 63 IBU. PS they use whole hops, been there, :)

16.0 % 1.00 Magnum Whole/Plug 14.5 14.5 60 0.251 54.5
8.0 % 0.50 Cascade Whole/Plug 6.6 3.3 15 0.124 6.1
8.0 % 0.50 Amarillo Whole/Plug 7.0 3.5 15 0.124 6.5
8.0 % 0.50 Centennial Whole/Plug 10.5 5.3 15 0.124 9.8
16.0 % 1.00 Cascade Whole/Plug 6.6 6.6 0 0.000 0.0
16.0 % 1.00 Amarillo Whole/Plug 7.0 7.0 0 0.000 0.0
16.0 % 1.00 Centennial Whole/Plug 10.5 10.5 0 0.000 0.0
4.0 % 0.25 Amarillo Whole/Plug 7.0 1.8 DH 0.000 0.0
4.0 % 0.25 Cascade Whole/Plug 6.6 1.7 DH 0.000 0.0
4.0 % 0.25 Centennial Whole/Plug 10.5 2.6 DH 0.000 0.0
6.25 76.9

Well, since Hollywood has ressurected this thread:cross:

Nobita, how did everything turn out?

I am a huge fan of HUB and would like to take a turn myself!

I have a hefe on deck next, but after that I'm going to make this (xmas time). I might add one more specialty grain though, .5# of carahell since it uses pilsner instead of 2 row for the base malt and I'm going to alter the hops & schedule.

Just had this beer (via bottletrek.com) and really liked it. Can't wait to visit the brewery/restaurant next time I visit my sis in Oregon.

Anyone brew this recipe? Curious to hear how it turned out. I'm thinking Hub is my next clone.

Back