How Much Washed Yeast to Use for 1 Liter Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewrican

Reaction score
So I have been doing each of my 5 batches so far without a starter and want to start doing one. I have washed the yeast from each of the batches that had yeast i could reuse often.

Now that I have 4 mason jars of the yeast (from the yeast washing thread) in the fridge sleeping, how much of the yeast do I use for a 1 liter starter? I understand that I will be using about 1/2 cup of DME and about 16 oz of water, but I dont understand how much yeast to use from my mason jars. How many ml do you use of washed yeast with the 1 liter starter?

I looked at Mr. Malty's but it is mainly for wyeast or white labs and the slurry tab didnt make sense.

Thanks for the help. I tried to search but did not find what i was looking for.

All you need is one jar's worth.

Carefully pour off and discard the liquid from one of your jars, leaving a little in there on top of the yeast cake. Put the lid back on, shake it up, and then pour the slurry into your starter. Good to go.

but i have some mason jars with LOTS of yeast and some with not as much. I would think that since you dont want to over or underpitch, that i would need a certain amount. I have some that are damn near half full of yeast..crazy :)

They are certainly more than a tube of wyeast

I've calculated that about 7 mL of healthy, fresh slurry (or cake, etc), is about the ideal amount to pitch into a 1 liter starter. I generally go with about 10 to be on the safe side, as I harvest from the yeast cake after my batches are done (so I'm probably getting some break and other refuse in there). Have had excellent results using these numbers.

From what I understand, one can overpitch a starter. Essentially what happens is that the starter gets super saturated with yeast, and rather than reproduce (which is what you want), they go directly into fermentation. This leaves you with tired, geriatric yeast cells that will not perform as well when compared to specimens from a properly pitched starter.

From what I understand, one can overpitch a starter. Essentially what happens is that the starter gets super saturated with yeast, and rather than reproduce (which is what you want), they go directly into fermentation. This leaves you with tired, geriatric yeast cells that will not perform as well when compared to specimens from a properly pitched starter.

Makes sense. I love HBT... I learn new stuff here everyday!

Latest posts

Back