is there such thing/good non alcohol recipe??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjer

Reaction score
I have a friend who loves my beer, but cannot have alcohol any longer. I was wondering if there is such a thing, as every NA beer I've ever tried was lame.
I also noticed that they are all lager style NA's...is it possible to make a NA IPA or hefe?

Thanks...:confused:

The way to drive off the alcohol is to take a regular beer, still (not carbonated), and heat it on very low heat to 170º. Hold it there for 10 minutes and you will have driven all the alcohol off. I haven't done this, but in theory it works. Don't know about taste.

Real non-alcoholic beer is brewed with special yeast that produces no alcohol to begin with, but you can brew a low alcohol brew and evaporate the alcohol off of it like BK said.

I heard that you put it in the oven (uncarbed) and let it cook slowly to cook the alcohol off. Ive never done this, but like you said - in theory it works.
-Me

I assume when you say to take a regular beer and heat it to 170 you are talking about only a 12oz beer? to make 5 gallons NA would be quite the task.

No. I mean whatever volume you want to make NA. The beer has to be still, or you would get excessive foaming (I would think).

Presumably, you already have a big boil pot.... ;)

We have some related threads on here.

Take a look at this one, specifically the posts by Evan! and Biermuncher that lead to other threads. I think that with good technique and dry-hopping creating a low to NA IPA with decent flavor would totally be feasible.

You don't want to boil it. You just want to get the mass to 170º (the boiling point of ethanol) and hold it there for x minutes. That boils the alcohol off while retaining the most good volatiles and beer possible.

If you are interested in the details, check Big Mac's link or do a google search.

As far as recipes go, the best NA I've had was the Erdinger Weissbier Alkoholfrei - Erdinger Weissbräu - BeerAdvocate Erdinger Hefe Weizen. It tasted the most like a normal beer of any I've tried so far. It was a pretty standard tasting hefe with a relatively thin body. Since it isn't a hoppy style I think it survives the conversion especially well.

Oh this sucks. I think I've had every NA on this list Low Alcohol Beer - BeerAdvocate except the Labatt's. Clearly, I need new friends.

Back