pouring cooled wort vs siphoning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supgraffix

Reaction score
I know a friend of mine recommended siphoning the cooler wort into the fermenter vs pouring it directly in, but last time I brewed (my first time) I poured it in without any problems. I know siphoning can help keep out some of the trub, but I've heard pouring it in also helps to aerate the wort better. Are there any big disadvantages/advantages to either method or is it pretty much up to the brewer? Also, I'll be doing secondary fermentation anyways for this batch, so I'm not too worried about excess trub...

Pouring unfermented wort doesn't have any downside. It does have an upside and that is plenty of good aeration. Your are right and your friend is wrong! :D

I find it best to siphon while using a funnel and strainer. The strainer really helps to break up the wort and aereates nicely, and the fact that you are siphoning and straining really helps to cut down on trub. Also, if you siphon, you don't have to worry about blowing your back out if you are doing 5 or 10 gallon batches.

I don't stain my wort. You are going to get trub whether you strain or not. It's not a concern for me whether I have 2 inches of trub or, if by not straining, I get 2 1/2 inches of trub.

Here is my thing about using the strainer...it REALLY helps break up the wort and aereates better that way than just dumping...but different strokes for different folks.

Siphoning won't avoid trub unless you whirlpool and leave wort behind in the kettle (which is what I do). I also use a hop strainer.

Is it necessary? No, but I don't secondary, and I often save yeast, so keeping the trub to a minimum I have found is a good practice in my brewery. The downside is you have to aerate using other means if you siphon. I use an O2 bottle and stone.

Siphoning or pumping offers reasonable security that wort with a certain amount of $ and time tied up in it will almost entirely end up in the fermenter. It's also easier on the back. Aeration is easy as well, just keep the siphon hose up at the top of the fermenter and let the wort splash in. This splashing goes on for a much longer time than when pouring. The vigorous stirring to whirlpool the cooled wort also helps with that.

Pouring offers the opportunity for gallons of wort to miss the fermenter by various means - it can run down the side of the pot, tip over the fermenter, etc. Not worth the risk, IMHO. DWYL.

Back