MLT assembly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam's Apples

Reaction score
I have everything I need to assemble my mash tun. What seemed like such a simple project according to the online tutorials, has tested my meagre DIY skills to the limit! Mainly because of the fact I couldn;t get the exact pieces I wanted.

I have the ball valve and connections that I think, I'm pretty sure, will work. Some of fittings are brass, but the last thing I bought today is chrome plated, I think, maybe chrome or nickel, but definately not brass. All these plumbing fittings are designed to be on contact with drinking water I think, so I'm pretty sure they should be ok in the MLT.

Just to be sure though, can you guys let me know if nickel or chrome platings that are gonna come into contact with the wort, albeit pre-boil, are gonna be a problem?

Cheers.

You should be more sure of what it's made of and/or plated with. For instance, zinc plating is supposed to be unsafe for wort use. I don't know about the other platings specifically, but generally you're better off sticking with brass, copper, and stainless unless you're absolutely sure of the safety of whatever else you pick.

You should be more sure of what it's made of and/or plated with. For instance, zinc plating is supposed to be unsafe for wort use. I don't know about the other platings specifically, but generally you're better off sticking with brass, copper, and stainless unless you're absolutely sure of the safety of whatever else you pick.

Cheers. Changed washer on inside, the one which will be in contact with the wort, to stainless. I wasn't aware that zinc was gonna be a problem.

Apart from that, everything I have is brass I believe, although 1 piece looks as though it's nickel plated.

Just pleased to have a set of fittings that will work - that proved to be a mission and a half!!!

Just for the record...Medical equipment is chromed (Nickel Plated) for safety. It's probably as safe as anything you're going to find.
Mine is all Chemical grade plastic.

Back