Cold Beer? Wise Move

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick_R

Still Love Fried Chicken
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting view that's oft cited here in various ways. I read this guy for the wine discussion, but thought I'd post the link to this post on beer.

Cold Beer? Wise Move

A partial from the article:

"Yet, the big beer companies apparently find it repulsive that people could conceive of beer as an adult beverage full of wonder and complexities. So they do their best to dumb down beer by essentially treating the beer-drinking public as idiots."

Rick

Why do people like Coors Lite, Bud, etc etc? Well it's cheap, swallows easy, and has the least impact to your wasteline.
That is really imo what Joe Blow wants. Wants to take a beer out on the course thats gonna be cheap and refreshing and get him relatively drunk by number 9 or so.

What I like to drink(Guinness); im not a "hardcore drinker" but if I take a few cans of Guinness out on the course I get through 2 maybe 3 cans of it, it's just not a beer I can chug-a-lug and get refreshed by. Now I would rather drink a bottle of water to cool me off than drink a Coors but everyone to their own.
So on one hand you can't blame "big beer" for making a **** beer that sells. Of course they need a marketing gimmick, how are they going to market the flavor? "Aged for 3 days in the bladders of the pigmy men, who live high up in the rockies."

Im not mad at big beer but I AM disapointed in the people who call it a true beer and have aquired such a taste for it they wont drink a real beer because of it. I think the articles assumption that the beer company thinks Joe Average Drinker is an idiot because they have a can that "Calls" to him is incorrect. On the other hand I can be mad at big beer for inventing this filth and getting the beer drinking populace addicted to it. Now they are marketing on their "addiction." Frankly I don't really care what they do or what Joe drinks as long as there is still good beer for me.

Why do people like Coors Lite, Bud, etc etc? Well it's cheap, swallows easy, and has the least impact to your wasteline.
That is really imo what Joe Blow wants. Wants to take a beer out on the course thats gonna be cheap and refreshing and get him relatively drunk by number 9 or so.

What I like to drink(Guinness); im not a "hardcore drinker" but if I take a few cans of Guinness out on the course I get through 2 maybe 3 cans of it, it's just not a beer I can chug-a-lug and get refreshed by. Now I would rather drink a bottle of water to cool me off than drink a Coors but everyone to their own.
So on one hand you can't blame "big beer" for making a **** beer that sells. Of course they need a marketing gimmick, how are they going to market the flavor? "Aged for 3 days in the bladders of the pigmy men, who live high up in the rockies."

Im not mad at big beer but I AM disapointed in the people who call it a true beer and have aquired such a taste for it they wont drink a real beer because of it. I think the articles assumption that the beer company thinks Joe Average Drinker is an idiot because they have a can that "Calls" to him is incorrect. On the other hand I can be mad at big beer for inventing this filth and getting the beer drinking populace addicted to it. Now they are marketing on their "addiction." Frankly I don't really care what they do or what Joe drinks as long as there is still good beer for me.

First off, in terms of the BJCP style 13 "Stout", Guinness, as it appears in the states, has about as much flavor, relative to most other stouts, as Coors Lizzite. Saying that BMC isn't "real beer" yet openly admitting to drinking a 3.5% ABV nearly-tasteless "Stout" is, well, absurd IMHO.

Second, American Standard Lager (1B) and American Lite Lager (1A) are no less "real" beer than any other style. Yes, of course, the disproportionate popularity of those styles is a testament to the fact that most people think of beer as clear lager, but at the same time, regardless of that disproportionate popularity, it's as "real" as any of the other beers by objective measure.

Either that guy is running out of things to write about or he feels guilty for drinking beer while the rest of his journalist buddies are drinking wine. They aren't treating their customers like idiots its just a stupid gimmick like the green seal ziplock bag thing. I don't know about you but I haven't checked to see if the color on the ziplock changed since I was like 8.

As far as the cheap beer response GunnerMan, I drink cheap beer and expensive beer and I like both. Its lawn beer or river beer to me and it tastes great at certain times. I actually had a few today standing waist deep in the river fishing. It was beautiful.

American Light Lager is just another style of beer in my opinion. It is frustrating though, when I am trying to get friends and family to try other beers and they just wrinkle their nose and say "I don't like DARK beers". They can not even see the color of the beer. Why do they always think it is a dark beer?

Evan it seems we are talking about the same thing on the same side of the fence.

I knew someone would come in here saying Guinness was just as bad but it just came to mind as it's what I usually drink commercially. Yes it is not the epitomy of the stout but it has much more body and flavor than Coors will ever have and thats why I used it. Pick whatever beer you like to drink and replace guinness with it, I was just attempting to make a comparison.
Also im sorry I used the word "real." It went back to comparing Coors with another beer(pick one), your beer has body, different and robust flavors from start to finish. That is what I meant by "real" beer of course Coors is beer it just lacks in all of those areas.

Like I said Coors etc are great beers for the guy on the course or the guy on the mower and thats why they sell, I have no problem with it. Actually I can enjoy a regular Coors pretty easily, not so much the light counterparts though. Like I said everyone to his own and I prefer a glass of water over a Coors Lite.

Sorry about the bad choices of words/beers I will try and be more general next time.

My wife was not a beer drinker until she discovered Point Amber. She liked it!! Now she see's there are other styles of beer that do NOT make her gag.

When she has a Miller Lite - her comment? "It has less of that gag taste and is thin, no wonder people drink it by the 6 pack, it goes down easy, like water."

People sure do get emotional about this stuff.

Was there some expression about relaxing and having a home brew?

Back