RIS swap ~ Poindexter's brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poindexter

Reaction score
I sent out an early version of the PM recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=45926 , 3 twelve ounce bottles each,

and 1 12 ounce bottle of Sisyphus barleywine, retail distribution Texas only:

http://www.realalebrewing.com/beer_styles.php

What I like about the Sisyphus is it is malty/ grainy like a Traquir house instead of fruity/ girlyman like most American barleywines. I am already agitating at BrewPastor to come up with a clone recipe. There is an extant tasting thread here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=57661

Yup. I put it up about ten minutes before I left Texas to come to Alaska, and I am still in Alaska using the computers at the public library.

thank you for using the search button.

Yup. I put it up about ten minutes before I left Texas to come to Alaska, and I am still in Alaska using the computers at the public library.

thank you for using the search button.

ok cool. i will sit down with your RIS and a score sheet tomorrow. Thanks for the beer!

App - Opaque black with dark tan head, good formation and retention for style 3/3

Aroma - Rich malt with roast character evident. No hop aroma apparent. Raisin notes.
9/12

Flavor - Heavy roasted character with burnt toast notes. Hop bitterness evident but restrained. Alcohol evident.
15/20

Mouthfeel - Good carbonation with medium body, fully attenuated with medium dry velvety finish
4/5

Overall - I enjoyed this beer, but think it would benefit from more aggressive aroma hopping and long aging. The roasted grains are very assertive and slightly over the top at this point.

8/10

Total - 39

Thanks for the beer. The bottling was awesome.

I scored a 39 with my first beer in my first swap?

I thought you guys were hard asses. Thanks for the kind words.

PTN and Evets were my other two recipients, yes.

I held off on drinking your beer, (other than sharing one in early April at a gathering of Mass HBTers that you knew about) until you were back from AK. You had mentioned that you were headed there and wouldn't have internet access so I figured I'd wait till you got back. I'll put the beer in the fridge and try it tonight.
PTN

I scored a 39 with my first beer in my first swap?

I thought you guys were hard asses. Thanks for the kind words.

PTN and Evets were my other two recipients, yes.

How can you score a guy tough when he bottles like this:

888group.jpg

I still haven't had a review on mine yet.

Thinking about it last night the review is right on. Mine is VERY roasty and not very hoppy. The color is good, the head retention is good, depending on your tastes it makes a great black velvet with a mid priced Brut. I am going to let my stash age two years before i tweak the recipe, and I still have two from Biermuncher in my NC garage to try.

BTW moose season just ended up here, I have spent every available moment in the field for a month- now I am back online --some.

Ignore me. I'm a RIS gnome, just bumping this thread. Some people, see, have the forum to not show posts older than 1 month. This leads to them thinking that their post was deleted - when in fact, it is just hiding from them. Just like this RIS gnome is hiding from you.

:)

missing: paulthenurse,evets

Mea culpa, mea culpa mea, maxuma culpa. I didn't post your review even when you asked and I promised. Yes, I am an ass.

The good news is that I am an ass that still had one of your brews hanging out in my wine rack, adorned with the red wax and a little plastic goat. So I just ran down stairs and grabbed it and poured it into my favorite glass. Cellar temp 52 degrees. (It's colder that my ex's heart here in Mass tonight.)

Appearance: An inky black pour with a thick, thick, thick chocolate mouse head that grabs onto the glass and won't let go. A nice train of very tiny bubbles up the side of the glass. Hints of dark red in the color. Very nice. 3/3

Aroma: Sweet molasses and very ripe dark fruit. Has a compost and leather component that is very nice. Restrained hop presence, if it is even there at all. No alcohol nose hit. 9/12

Flavor: Nice, up front coffee, chocolate and roasted barley. Bitterness really comes thru on the mid pallete. Very nice. 16/20

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth with a CO2 presence at first that I found very nice. Those tiny bubbles are dancing on the end of my tongue, I wish I could make my champagnes have that bubble feel. (That was my thought when I first poured the glass, by the time I got to writing this part of the eval the tiny bubbles went the way of tiny bubbles and it settled into what you would expect a stout to taste/feel like. I like it. 5/5

Overall: Very nice. I shared the first bottle of this at a bathering of Mass brewers at my place shortly after recieving it and it was roundly applauded. I must confess to not remembering when I drank the second bottle, sorry sometimes that ol' ethanol gets the better of me and I do things I shouldn't. But I'm glad I still had the last bottle to write your eval. 8/10

41/50 Kudo's. Well done

SWMBO just got home after her office party. I gave her a taste and she agrees that it is very nice, "That's really good! Nice chocolate taste. When did you start putting wax on bottles? And if you used my cheese wax I'm going to kill you."

PTN

I live in san diego and I know there is a ton of local brewers. I'd love to meet some exchange brews, info, recipes, philosfy, etc.
Code:
[/CODE:tank::tank:

Thanks Paul, I am recalling that I did two protein rests, both about 45 minutes, but my brew log is several thousand miles from here.

Just had my last bottle of this. The harsh roastiness has mellowed considerably. The beer is much more drinkable now, and quite delicious. A wee tad dry IMO, but a dynamite beer.

Thanks again

KD

Back