What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was travelling this past weekend, so I was able to enjoy food prepared by others for a change. Just got a ball of dough made that will soon turn into a couple loafs of bread.

Also got my sourdough starter going earlier today. Can't wait for that to grow a little bigger.

Saturday, we made Fresh Asparagus with frozen Fiddlehead Ferns we picked last spring, in a lemon butter garlic sauce we made up. Some reconstituted Morel Mushrooms. Thawed out some Alaskan Razor Clams and made some Poor Man's Lobster with some older Halibut and that's we had for dinner!

Friday: ABTs and burgers. Saturday I made strawberry ice cream. Last night, chicken marsala.

Those cookies look great Melana.

Here's some pics of the mushrooms for my chicken marsala cooking. Man, there is nothing better than sauteed mushrooms. It seems almost impossible how they go from white mostly-tasteless things to brown steaky glory just with some heat and a little olive oil.

shrooms-61261.jpg

Baked up a loaf with Melana's sourdough starter, I made it thursday and left it in the fridge and it didn't do much, left it on the counter overnight and it was overflowing this morning so into the oven she goes.
Not beautiful as it was over proofed but the taste is there! Much tarter then the culture i have been using.
Thank you Malana:mug:

DSCF0144.jpg

ChefRex said:
Baked up a loaf with Melana's sourdough starter, I made it thursday and left it in the fridge and it didn't do much, left it on the counter overnight and it was overflowing this morning so into the oven she goes.
Not beautiful as it was over proofed but the taste is there! Much tarter then the culture i have been using.
Thank you Malana:mug:

Yum. About that delivery service....

I cooked up some ... wait a minute I am watching Cops they are about to raid a house . That looks just like my house .... I think I am going to have to forward my mail

Tuna casserole . made with egg noodles , tuna , condensed cream of chicken soup, peas , minced garlic , shredded 4 cheese Mexican and cheese french fried onions on top

casserole.jpg

Melana, that pie sounds like it tastes just awesome with the gingersnap crust.
PassedPawn, I do something very similar, but I use a mix of soy & lemon juice instead of honey, I'll save the honey for the squash.
Regards, GF.

Melana, that pie sounds like it tastes just awesome with the gingersnap crust.

Regards, GF.

Yes it does. Just gingersnaps pulverized in the food processor with melted butter. Simple, easy...
The filling is a can of pumpkin, a can of sweetened condensed milk, a bar of cream cheese, two eggs, and spices.

Yes it does. Just gingersnaps pulverized in the food processor with melted butter. Simple, easy...
The filling is a can of pumpkin, a can of sweetened condensed milk, a bar of cream cheese, two eggs, and spices.

Now I'm drooling & thinking about making pie. :mug:
Regards, GF.

MarcusKillion, Passedpawn & Melana got me to thinking...
Baked acorn squash, but instead of filling them with butter & sugar/honey, filling them with a mixture of previously cooked (baked/grilled/poached) salmon fillets that have been flaked with a fork & mixed with a long grain & wild rice mix, maybe with a bit of fresh, shredded spinach.

Could either mix up all the filling, or layer it for effect, maybe a dollop of cream cheese on top? Not sure about which herbs (if any) to use with this, I like dill with salmon, but tyme is good too. I'm thinking a bit of garlic & butter in the rice...
What do you think?
Regards, GF.

MarcusKillion, Passedpawn & Melana got me to thinking...
Baked acorn squash, but instead of filling them with butter & sugar/honey, filling them with a mixture of previously cooked (baked/grilled/poached) salmon fillets that have been flaked with a fork & mixed with a long grain & wild rice mix, maybe with a bit of fresh, shredded spinach.

Could either mix up all the filling, or layer it for effect, maybe a dollop of cream cheese on top? Not sure about which herbs (if any) to use with this, I like dill with salmon, but tyme is good too. I'm thinking a bit of garlic & butter in the rice...
What do you think?
Regards, GF.

Sounds great! If you cook in oven, turn acorn squash face down and cook that way for 30 minutes. Then flip and fill. That way the squash gets cooked properly.

I'd also put some butter in the squash first to make sure it is moist when done.

We usually do acorn squash cut in half,filled with garlic butter,cut side up covered with foil in the oven till tender. Good with turkey or pit bbq'd chicken brushed with more garlic butter. Ash wood on the coals for a mild smoke flavor.

unionrdr said:
We usually do acorn squash cut in half,filled with garlic butter,cut side up covered with foil in the oven till tender. Good with turkey or pit bbq'd chicken brushed with more garlic butter. Ash wood on the coals for a mild smoke flavor.

Yum!

Fried green tomatoes with cajun seasoning and habanero sauce . 15 bean cajun soup with ham . corn bread . working on another tuna casserole .

I'm cooking a turkey and stuffing. If I get done brewing and am motivated I'm making dessert.... If I can find the recipe for the gingerbread pudding cake. I know it's here somewhere....

I made a couple sourdough loaves with the culture Melana sent... great stuff! Thanks again! :mug:

I made a couple sourdough loaves with the culture Melana sent... great stuff! Thanks again! :mug:

Yes, thanks! I am TRYING to find time to get this stuff going and bake a loaf myself. I might have to get it going and keep some in the fridge, ready to go just in case I find a couple of hours to play.

This past Saturday I made:
Broiled lemon/thyme salmon fillets; baked & stuffed acorn squash, stuffed with wild & jasmine rice, crimini mushrooms, pine nuts, green onions, miced garlic, and craisins; oven roasted balsamic/cranberry brussels sprouts; Ginger glazed carrots with chopped kale; crawfish etouffee; and stir-fried alligator tail. It was all very tasty.
Regards, GF. :)

This past Saturday I made:
Broiled lemon/thyme salmon fillets; baked & stuffed acorn squash, stuffed with wild & jasmine rice, crimini mushrooms, pine nuts, green onions, miced garlic, and craisins; oven roasted balsamic/cranberry brussels sprouts; Ginger glazed carrots with chopped kale; crawfish etouffee; and stir-fried alligator tail. It was all very tasty.
Regards, GF. :)

OMG. I'm getting on a plane...

Back