Wings & Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Well, I've been on the road the entire month and now I've got a chance to cook on my big green egg. Tonight is Wings & Beer.

I'm starting off with 5 lbs. of wings and a nice cold Kölsch. I spice them with Bad Byron's Butt Rub and Turbinado Sugar (3 to 1 ratio). Cut the wing tips off, rinse and save for stock or toss.

BeerNwings1.jpg

Place the wings on your hot grill (around 350 degrees) with the same side up.

BeerNwings2.jpg

Then apply a liberal dusting of spice. Once done, flip all the wings and repeat.

BeerNwings3.jpg

Now it will take a good 60 minutes or so to cook these wings as I like them crispy and the fat rendered out. Turn them every 10 minutes or so and watch for hot spots while you enjoy a cold brew.

TO BE CONTINUED.

Nice wings and nice grill. If I ever have the extra cash, I'll have to look into getting one for myself. My little 60 dollar grill does the job and it came with cast iron grates. Not a bad deal, plus SWMBO is a vegetarian so I wouldn't get much use out of a very expensive one.

We'll be firing it up tomorrow watching football. I got ribeyes and sausages ready to go. Might do some bacon wrapped jalapenos too for appetizers. Oh yeah, and beer too! Lots of beer.

Neomich said:
Nice wings and nice grill. If I ever have the extra cash, I'll have to look into getting one for myself. My little 60 dollar grill does the job and it came with cast iron grates. Not a bad deal, plus SWMBO is a vegetarian so I wouldn't get much use out of a very expensive one.

I cook most of my vegetables on the grill as well. Some time when I cook out side then maybe only 25% of the meal will be meat.

I'll use it for grilled corn and potatoes too. Oddly enough, SWMBO doesn't like a large variety of vegetables. She loves this tofu stir fry I make and that's usually what I'll put together when I'm grilling.

Oddly enough, one of my close buddies has a g/f who is also a vegetarian. It sucks having to cook two separate meals sometimes but hey they gotta eat too. At least my SWMBO doesn't care how much meat I buy and have in the fridge, my buddy can't even keep it in the fridge. We have to buy and cook it all the day we're eating it.

Perfect. Hate buffalo wings that are breaded.

In Hooters one night and they brought us 50 battered, had to send them back - grease balls.

Yours look great.

Do you do mail order ?

How fast do they normally get the stuff out to ya? Guess Ill place an order tonight for the 24oz. jar hopefully it will get here by sat. Whats the recipe for the pulled pork?

I like to put Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce on mine....sometimes I'll add a little parika-based bbq rub for texture. That sauce makes some hellaciously tangy wings....and it's easy!

Ryanh1801 said:
Whats the recipe for the pulled pork?

Buy some pork Boston Butt cuts. Rinse with water and pat dry with a paper towel. Liberally sprinkle Butt Rub all over the Boston Butt and pat in (I wear rubber gloves when doing this). When completely covered, wrap in plastic wrap and put in fridge overnight. The next day, put it on your smoker at 225 degrees with hickory wood and smoke till the internal temp reaches 195 degrees. Wrap the butt in foil and place in a cooler for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours before serving.

When ready to serve, pull the butt with two large forks, discarding the shoulder bone and any extra fat. Sprinkle a bit more Butt Rub and stir before serving on cheap white buns with a vinegar based BBQ sauce. Here's my recipe for the sauce.

Take a 1/2 liter bottle of water and drink the water. With a funnel, pour in..

4 Tbs. Sea Salt
2 Tbs. Turbinado Sugar
1 tsp. Ground Chipotle Pepper
1 tsp. Ground Cayenne pepper
Top off with Apple cider vinegar.

Shake well, then let steep overnight for best flavor. It will have a kick to it.

Bump. Today started out gray & rainy, then around noon a cold front moved in. Now it is Sunny, Blue Skies and 69 degrees (my favorite temp). SWMBO already made an awesome meatloaf, but it is so nice out, I need to cook something on the egg. I picked up wings on the way home, so here we go again.

Beer & Wings!

This is my kind of 'meal'. Just cooked some wings up two nights ago with your mix of seasoning/sugar. They were excellent! Thanks for the inspiration!

I ate mine with some homebrewed Amarillo Pale Ale and Abbey Pale Ale...

Tasty!

Ed,

Have you used the Butt Rub for burgers yet? Make some burgers on the BGE and sprinkle them top and bottom with the rub. Toss a handful of Mesquite chips in there and you should be good to go.

I made these tonight - freakin' awesome! I did half with Butt Rub and half naked. All the naked ones got a dose of Hooter's Wing Sauce, as did a couple of the rubbed wings. Our consensus was:

Butt Rub + Hooter's Wing Sauce = Un-f***ing-believeable!

wings.jpg

The Egg's transitioning to a low and slow cook now for my first overnight BBQ. Pulled pork tomorrow!

Back