How to remove salt from a liquid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machalel

Reaction score
I am trying to work out if it is possible to remove salt from a liquid whilst keeping everything else the same.

Let pretend I had a beer that had lots of salt in it, how would one attempt to remove said salt without disrupting the beer. Is it even possible?

And before anyone says anything... no, I don't have salty beer :p

Machalel said:
I am trying to work out if it is possible to remove salt from a liquid whilst keeping everything else the same.

Let pretend I had a beer that had lots of salt in it, how would one attempt to remove said salt without disrupting the beer. Is it even possible?

"Negative, Ghostrider; the pattern is full"

In this "hypothetic" scenario, how did the beer get salty?

*edit* -I'm not trying to be a D-bag but I'm thinking you should be looking at prevention rather than a cure because I do not believe one exists

It's pretty simple to remove the salts from water by reverse osmosis for example but from beer it would be a more difficult proposition. One might be able to come up with something using ion exchange (hydrogen for sodium and hydroxyl for chloride, for example) but I have my doubts.

My last sentence is true, I have no salty beer.

What I'm trying to do is to work out if this is possible before I ruin anything ;)

It will be much easier to remove salt(s) of any kind from the brew water before the brewing process than trying to alter a finished beer. Distillation, dilution, reverse osmosis, possibly precipitation depending on what your removing, but that may add even worse stuff to the mix....

Bottom line, check your brew water before you brew.

stop!!! back away HAHB and just don't do it. There are ways to remove the salt but you won't have beer afterwards.

also, the beer itself may taste different due to the fact that it was brewed with salt... thus removing the salt itself may not actually fully fix the beer

Why would your beer be salty??

And I can think of no practical method of removing JUST the salt from a beer. Not without making the resulting liquid resemble nothing like beer at all.

If it was soup with too much salt, you could add half a potato (raw), that would absorb much of the salt, and then you would remove it.
I really don't know how that would work in beer though.

My first attempt at all grain I added some salts to the mash to adjust the water. I accidentally left the scale on ounces instead of grams. I got really, really salty beer. No solution but to use the beer to cook hot dogs in. I also used a little in a gravy once. It wasn't too bad. I dumped most of the batch although I think I still have some bottles in the back of my equipment storage closet.

Back