moved beer to secondary after 9-10 days, started fermenting again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangfreak

Reaction score
Ok, I had my IPA fermenting in a tub of water at 67-68 degrees for over a week. Took a hydro sample and it was at about 1.014 I believe (I didn't write it down :eek: ) and I moved it to secondary to dry hop. It started fermenting again and got down to 1.010. My concern is, that the room temp is like 74. Will there be any bad flavors from this?

This IPA is called "whoops-a-daisy IPA" for multiple reasons now.

Since the bulk of fermentation was finished, it might be just fine although I don't know this from experience. It seems to me that 74 at the tail end of fermentation wouldn't be too bad, depending on the yeast strain.

I would be more concerned that the fermentation caused some of the aroma from the dryhops to "blow off" a bit. Hopefully that's not the case!

No. What you did is no different than a diacytl rest and if anything it helped the yeast clean up a bit. (Although likely not necessary). Once you get 2/3 to 3/4 done with fermentation temperatures rising slightly shouldn't provide any off flavors. RDWHAHB

It's been so long since I've done a secondary, but I wanted to dry hop this beer with another ounce of Simcoe. :rockin:

I wasn't saying 'you shouldn't do secondaries', just was saying it before someone else did! Secondaries for dry hopping when you are harvesting yeast is normal. Love me some Simcoe - wish I could find some for my next IPA brew. Thank god it's nearing harvest time!

Back