Is it me or beersmith?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robthefrog

Reaction score
I just bought a copy of beersmith and love it so far. So I found a recipe online for an irish red. I wanted to boost the alcohol content a tad so I increased the amount of hops as well. Here's my recipe:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 15.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 85.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 58.14 % (Late Addition at 15 minutes to go)
2.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 29.07 %
0.38 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.52 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3.63 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3.63 %
2.50 oz Fuggles [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 31.0 IBU
1.50 oz Nugget [12.20 %] (15 min) Hops 23.5 IBU
1.50 oz Williamette [4.60 %] (5 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) Yeast-Ale

Now here's my problem :) I may have gone overboard with the hops since beersmith is telling me I'm at 85 IBU (Style dictates 17.0-28.0 IBU). My bitterness ratio is 1.596...

Am I going to have the most bitter beer ever made? I'm scared to death at this point. This is my 6th batch.

1.5 ounces of nugget at 15 minutes is 1.5 ounces of nugget too much! It's totally out of place there, and will not be good in an Irish red.

I'd say a much better hops schedule would be:

2.0 oz fuggles 60 minutes
.5 oz willamette at 5 minutes (if you must but out of place in a red).

1.5 ounces of nugget at 15 minutes is 1.5 ounces of nugget too much! It's totally out of place there, and will not be good in an Irish red.

Oh nooooooooes! better luck next time :( I think I substitued nugget instead of Galena... Perhaps I was duped and followed a troll recipe :\

Edit:
Definitely not a troll recipe... Respected member of the forums see below

Here is the recipe I followed:

Recipe: Irish Red
Brewer: Tyson Beggs
Asst Brewer:
Style: Irish Red Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 15.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 59.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 88.83 %
0.38 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.82 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3.17 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3.17 %
2.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 32.5 IBU
1.00 oz Galena [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 23.3 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) Yeast-Ale

The changes I made was boost the amount of extract, and boosted the hops a bit, and LHBS didn't have Galena so I substituted Nugget according to their substitution list.

Well, you usually don't have flavor or aroma hops in an Irish red, as it's a malt forward beer with no hops flavor or aroma.

The recipe wasn't that great to begin with (the malt bill is fine, but flavor hops aren't usually that forward in an Irish red), and increasing the hops was not a good idea.

Remember that the flavor and aroma hops are there for just that- flavor and aroma. When you boost up the grain bill, they don't have to be increased (generally speaking). Just the bittering hops are increased, to provide a bittering balance to the increased malt. The same amount of flavor and aroma hops are used.

Well, you usually don't have flavor or aroma hops in an Irish red, as it's a malt forward beer with no hops flavor or aroma.

The recipe wasn't that great to begin with, and increasing the hops was not a good idea.

Remember that the flavor and aroma hops are there for just that- flavor and aroma. When you boost up the grain bill, they don't have to be increased (generally speaking). Just the bittering hops are increased, to provide a bittering balance to the increased malt. The same amount of flavor and aroma hops are used.

I see. Well I'll let it age a while in the keg and see how it goes. Thanks for your advice, Yooper!

You rock :rockin:

Latest posts

Back