beer is not carbonated after 2 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcmccoy

Reaction score
I made a IIPA and spent a bunch of money making this big beer and I think I didnt add enough priming sugar cuz after two weeks in my basement prolly 65 degrees and there is little to no carb. I hear the slightest hiss when I open a bottle. Should I wait another week check carbonation and if nothing add carb tabs? One note I should add is that I added my sugar in very hot I didnt know the volume so I didnt know how much sugar to add before hand. ugh

high gravity beers take longer from what I have heard...I think it has to do with high alcohol content

You are fine. RDWHAHB. I have a high gravity beer that is also not carbed after two weeks. Every single one of the mods on here say 3 weeks @ 70F. That is also for a standard strength beer. Higher Gravity beers take longer. After 3 weeks at 70F, then refrigerate a few bottle for 3 to 5 days.... Basically, what I am saying is, WAIT LONGER!!!! Cheers... :)

If you keep it at 65 degrees, it will take longer. 3 weeks is a typical length of time, but in an IIPA 5-6 weeks would not be uncommon. At 65 degrees, it will probably take even longer. If you can get them somewhere 70 degrees +, it will be quicker.

I've had some that take longer. The ones I allow a month or so in the primary and have dropped clear tend to take a little longer on average.

I added it in at like 190 F I didn't want to wait for it to cool the sugar solution that is.

big beers take forever, but they're worth it.

2 weeks aint sheeee*t.

dont be surprised if they never get carb'd up to the level you're used to from smaller beers. IIPAs, Barleywines, and RISs are often "lightly carb'd."

Unless you're willing to risk bottle bombs by using champagne yeast at bottling, no 10.5% beer is ever going to be as carb'd as a 5.0% beer.

190 degrees? You may have effectively killed all of your yeast. Leave it for another week...failing that, you'll need to dump all your beer GENTLY back into a bottling bucket and repitch yeast. Yeast cannot handle temperatures anywhere near that high...be sure in the future to keep your priming sugar temps far far lower.

big beers take forever, but they're worth it.

2 weeks aint sheeee*t.

dont be surprised if they never get carb'd up to the level you're used to from smaller beers. IIPAs, Barleywines, and RISs are often "lightly carb'd."

Unless you're willing to risk bottle bombs by using champagne yeast at bottling, no 10.5% beer is ever going to be as carb'd as a 5.0% beer.

AFAIK the level of carbonation is a function of the amount of priming sugar, not the "size" of the beer.

At any rate it's silly to open a bottle after two weeks and expect it to be carbed at 65 degrees. I would give it another month then try again.

190 degrees? You may have effectively killed all of your yeast. Leave it for another week...failing that, you'll need to dump all your beer GENTLY back into a bottling bucket and repitch yeast. Yeast cannot handle temperatures anywhere near that high...be sure in the future to keep your priming sugar temps far far lower.

Isn't that unlikely with the small amount of priming solution versus the 5 gallons of beer?

Personally, I have never bothered to cool my priming solution prior to racking my beer or cider onto it for bottling. The difference in thermal mass is just too large for a pint of solution to make a temperature difference. I have never had any problems with carbonation. Just give your beer enough time to carbonate, and enough time under refrigeration for the CO2 to dissolve into solution.;)

Personally, I have never bothered to cool my priming solution prior to racking my beer or cider onto it for bottling. The difference in thermal mass is just too large for a pint of solution to make a temperature difference. I have never had any problems with carbonation. Just give your beer enough time to carbonate, and enough time under refrigeration for the CO2 to dissolve into solution.;)

Thats how I felt when I did it.

I did the math - and I stand corrected...I guess I was using an old habit that really was unnecessary...I stand with everyone else now who says that simply you need to give it more time...

One trick that I learned from the ever-knowledgeable Revvy is to take each bottle and roll them around on a flat surface for a minute or so. Do that every day, if possible. That helps the settled yeast mingle with the priming sugar to form carbonation. Keeping the bottles at around 70 will also help.

One trick that I learned from the ever-knowledgeable Revvy is to take each bottle and roll them around on a flat surface for a minute or so. Do that every day, if possible. That helps the settled yeast mingle with the priming sugar to form carbonation. Keeping the bottles at around 70 will also help.

The MINIMUM is three weeks at 70 and waiting even longer is often necessary.

If your beer isn't carbed after about six weeks then I would consider giving each bottle some gentle agitation--but it's probably not necessary to do so every day.

Suited_Up said:
Isn't that unlikely with the small amount of priming solution versus the 5 gallons of beer?

Yes. Very unlikely. I put my priming solution in the bucket straight from boil and rack on top of it 5 mins later. Never had a problem. 5 gallons of 65 degree beer will not be affected by 1-2 cup of hot sugar water

Here's a little extension of what's been said so far. I noticed that,when using DME instead of brewing sugar (say,1.4kg DME for 1kg brewing sugar),that 6 days in the fridge after 3 weeks at 70F to carb/condition is necessary to balance the head with carbonation level. But 4 weeks/5days in,it starts going too far,with too much carbonation for an ale,& head decreases. No bottle bombs,just less head,more bubbles,flavor changes from that originally intended or gotten. I used 1 cooper's carb drop per bottle (German 11.2's,& 12oz'rs). Supposed to be right,per instructions,but the more aging time before refrigeration,the more carbonation & less head. And more carbonation equals less/different flavor as well. So learning to prime to style as exactly as possible is becoming all too apparent.:drunk::mug:

if you have some 'hiss', it should be carbing up...but it will take more time w/that high an alcohol content. do what others have said...give it time, and check 1 bottle a week for carbing...and leave it in the fridge for a 2-3 days to allow the co2 to get into solution!

Okayz I will RDWHAHB I moved all my imperial beers in to my room which is about 5 degrees warmer and I will wait 2 more weeks.

Wish I'd read this awhile back. Recently did an Imperial Pumpkin Ale that tasted fantastic but had very little carbonation. I assumed I had screwed it up. After drinking a good amount in a semi-carbonated state I only have about eight left. I went on vacation and came back 1.5 weeks later and low-and-behold... bubbles!

I just did a 2nd Imperial and sampled the first 12oz after about 2.5 weeks. Was concerned that I had another dud. Glad I came on here and found this thread. I'm going to wait until Christmas to test out a 2nd.

*cheers*

I know this is late but for others looking for the same info:

I made a Helles lager with an OG of 1.048 and a FG of 1.009. Lagered for two months at progressively lower temps down to 29 degrees then bottled and left to carbonate at 68 degrees. It took a hair more than eight weeks in the bottle for this beauty to fully carbonate. There was absolutely nothing after two weeks, barely a hiss after four and a minuscule amount of bubbles after 6. I took to swirling the bottles every day for two weeks to stir up the yeast that settled to the bottom. After two weeks of daily swirling, they carbed up nicely and it tastes great. Have patience and swirl!

I have had this happen and it was because the temp of the room where I kept the bottles was to cold. I moved a 6 pack to the warm laundry room and it carbonated almost overnight. Might want to give that a go. Good luck!

My 8.5% DIPA is still not quite there at 6 weeks in the bottle... Not to mention it's been sitting in 72-75 degrees.

Back