Iodine contributing to off-taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boswell3000

Reaction score
Has anyone out there ever had a problem with Iodophor lending an iodine taste to a batch?

My first extract kit bottled was a dunkel. It was brewed with no specialty grains; an all-extract beer in every sense of the word. The guys at the local brew shop suggested the off-taste could be due to a lack of specialty grain additions in the recipe. Upon sampling the finished product, my wife and I both noted that the beer tasted "watery." My father, (a brewer with far more experience than I) tasted it, and after awhile said it reminded him of the taste of iodine. That's when I remembered making the iodophor solution for the first time, spraying down my bottling bucket, and siphoning in the dunkel.

Instructions on sanitizer did not instruct to rinse the solution, so I didn't. Has anyone ever had an experience such as this? I guess I'm asking if the iodophor is the culprit. Suggestions?

At proper dillution iodine sanitizers should not affect the taste of the beer, that's why they are considered no rinse.

I would go with the brewshop and thing lack of complexity due to no specialty grains. Or not fully carbed and conditioned...NOT your sanitizer.

I'd look at the yeast used first? A dunkel isn't going to use much for Specialty Grains, maybe 5oz or so of a dark roast grain for five gallons. The rest would probably be a Munich Extract. Most of its flavor is from the Munich.

What exactly did the kit contain for both the extract and the yeast?

Did you use clean, filtered water? Did you filter it yourself or buy it from a water retailer like Deep Rock or whatever?

If you haven't changed the filter in your water filtration system or if you're using tap water, you could be tasting sediment from your commercial water supply. Even if you think your water is just fine to drink from the tap, when it comes to making beer, it does make a difference.

Is it possible that that could be contributing to the weird flavor?

A valid point. I've already decided to experiment with using some bottled spring water for my next batch. Any brand suggestions? Thus far, the research I've done puts Deer Park a the top of my list.

Latest posts

Back