English Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace_Club

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast 1098 British Ale
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
15 days
Tasting Notes
Very good taste. Light, low alcohol. Less hop flavor/aroma than I would have liked.
Used the following:

3# light LME
1# amber DME
.5# Caramalt

1 oz. Kent Goldings for 60 minutes
1 oz. Kent Goldings for 1 minute

Did a partial volume boil with a boil OG of 1.070. For more hop bitterness/flavor/aroma, I would boil with a lower OG in the boil and split the 1 minute hop addition into .5 oz. for 15 minutes and .5 oz. for 2 minutes. Otherwise, this was a very good session beer.

Update: I have made this same recipe with both Windsor and Nottingham dry yeast. Both produce excellent results. The Windsor yeast requires more time to clear, but produces more esters than the Nottingham does. Regardless, either dry yeast would work very well with this recipe.

what were your volumes for this one? and have you used any of the safale 05 or 04? recipe sounds great.

abomb79 said:
what were your volumes for this one? and have you used any of the safale 05 or 04? recipe sounds great.

5 gallons for volume. I have not tried it with Safale.

Back