Baltic Porter Baltic Honey Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsyDragon

Reaction score
Style: Baltic Porter
Type: Specialty Grain
OG: 1.069
FG: 1.017
ABV: 6.81%
IBU: 33
Color: 27.4 SMR

Ingredients:
6.6 lb. Pale Liquid Extract
0.75 lb. Chocolate Malt
0.5 lb. Crystal Malt - 60L
3 lb. Honey

0.5 oz. Horizon - 12%AA - 60 min
0.75 oz. Willamette - 5.5%AA - 40 min
0.5 oz. Willamette - 5.5%AA - 20 min

2 vials White Labs American Ale Yeast

3 oz Corn Sugar

Notes:
Steep grain at 160F+/-10F for 30 min in 1 gallon water. Remove grain and bring volume up to 3 gallons. Dissolve 3.3 lb. liquid extract and bring to a full boil. Then begin hops schedule. With 10 min left in the boil add remaining 3.3 lb. extract and 3 lb. honey. Cool wart as quickly as possible then transfer to carboy and top off to 5 gallons. Ferment for 14 days at 65F then bottle with 3 oz. Corn Sugar. Let age 3 weeks. Refrigerate 1 week before serving.

i thought it tasted great. had a slight sweet honey taste to it and excellent chocolate flavor.

i thought it tasted great. had a slight sweet honey taste to it and excellent chocolate flavor.

When you list "2 vials White Labs American Ale Yeast" - does that mean you just pitched 2 vials or made a large starter using the 2 vials? - I'm looking to move from dry to liquid yeast and would hate to either double or halve the yeast needed. "Porter" and "Honey" are two of my favorite words so I am anxious to try this recipe.

i pitched 2 vials. I'm to lazy to make a starter so i would much rather just buy the extra yeast and pitch it.

I was thinking of adding some honey malt into the mix. Ya think thats a possibility to give it more of a honey flavor? or maybe drop some of that honey for honey malt??

I was thinking of adding some honey malt into the mix. Ya think thats a possibility to give it more of a honey flavor? or maybe drop some of that honey for honey malt??

i have no idea. i've never used honey malt so i can't say how close to actual honey the taste is.

Well I bought some honey malt probrably half a pount I might sub with something or throw in the mix.

Honey malt will give it that up from sweetness, while regular honey will be noticeable but on the back of the palate, depending on how much you use.

Planning on brewing this recipe over the weekend! The guy at my store said I'd probably be fine with just 1 vial of yeast, so I'm gunna try that. I've got an extra packet of dry ale yeast to throw in as a backup in case nothing happens. I picked up some clover honey that I'm planning to add after flameout to try and preserve some of the flavor/aroma too. Otherwise I'm following the recipe exactly.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Might want to boil the honey for a bit I think, to kill any outside "bugs" that might be present.

Recipe sounds pretty good, my wife loves porters and has been asking me to brew one.

Brewed on Sunday - yeast is still going nuts. Smells great already.

I ended up adding the honey at the last minute of the boil, just to be sure that it was at sanitary temps for a bit and that it wouldn't sink to the bottom. I bought it from the grocery store, so it was probably pasteurized already. Plus honey is antibiotic, so I'm not too worried.

Update -

This has been in the bottles for a couple weeks now, and is tasting great. I followed the directions here but the color came out on the light side for a porter. Any thoughts on why that might be?

Just put a batch in the fermenter. Smelled pretty good, OG closer to 1.08. I guess we will see how it goes.

Just moved to secondary. Tastes pretty good but I would like a little more honey flavor. Still has a few weeks before its done though.

I'll be brewing this recipe (more or less) soon and I too was hoping for a mild honey flavor. I'm thinking of using some honey at the priming stage just before bottling to hold some of the flavor...what do you think of that idea??

I tasted this brew when I moved it to secondary and really liked it. I tasted it again when I was about ready to bottle and loved it. It took me about three days to decide if I wanted to use honey for priming and I decided not to because I loved what I had so much. I just drank one to check on the carbonation level and it is outstanding, but no honey flavor at all. I don't think you can go wrong if you use the honey for priming, but it is fantastic without it. I will most likely do the honey thing when I make this brew again.

I decided to revive this thread and to give this a try with a few modifications:

Style: Honey Porter
Type: Specialty Grain
OG: 1.067
FG: 1.013
ABV: 7.4
IBU: 30
Color: 31L
(3.5 Gl BV)

Fermentables:

6.6 lb. Golden Liquid Extract 8L
0.75 lb. Chocolate Malt-413L
0.5 lb. Crystal Malt - 60L
0.5 lb. Honey Malt -25L
2 lb. Honey (flame out)

Hops:

0.75 oz. Chinook - 10.5%AA - 60 min
1 oz. Cascade - 5.1%AA - 15 min

Yeast

Safale-05

Priming

4 oz boiled honey

Any thoughts?

@Paratrooper,
Can you provide a follow up to your post (#20)?
I assume that this has been thru all phases at this point, if not consumed also?
Time/duration to ferment and secondary and temperatures? (Did you lager?)
You allude to a modification, is that a mod to the recipe in the post just prior?
Tips, tricks, pointers, notes, other...?

Back