My DIY Mash Paddle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I finally got done with my new mash paddle.. made of poplar just because thats all that was available for me. It is 3.5 x .75 x 40

I never used the Jigsaw and sander before but it wasnt that hard.

I made the stencil on my workstation at work. Then just traced it onto the board.

6.bmp

After that I took it to the clamping table, and drilled a couple holes to put the
jigsaw blade in and rough cut the shape out.

5.bmp

Heres a pic of the completed rough cut.

4.bmp

next I just busted out the sander and the dremmel and started sanding
(120grit Sandpaper)

I used the drimmel to round all the edges and sanded it all down.. then switched
to 600 grit sand paper and did it all over again.

After that I sanded it by hand inside the dogbone area. Here are some pics of the completed project.

3.bmp

2.bmp

11.bmp

Now I got to get SWMBO to use the woodburner to image our logo and brewery name on the handle.

I have thought about it, read a lot of posts some good some bad.. but I think what Im going to do is just leave it as it is.. after Im done using it aill wash it off.. and if it feels rough again ill just sand it a little.

Nice work. Beauty Job!
May I suggest, wet down the paddle with a rag. This will allow the grain to raise then sand it down again.
Then it shouldn't 'rough up' for some time.
Cheers
-David

I didnt plan on treating it because of the bad stuff i read about it.. my only concern with it is that I made it out of Poplar and not Maple like i wanted

I used poplar as well and have had no problems. There is a chance that it could warp a bit when it dries, but I haven't had that problem yet.

Char it a little over an open flame; It will look better and stains won't show so easily - it won't make your beer better though - that's up to you.

-OCD

As far as food safety... poplar is just fine, don't worry about it.

Nice! I was just thinking today that I needed a nice mash paddle as I was stirring the mash of my airstream esb today. I might have to try something like that.

Back