FG of JOAM?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emr454

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the FG of Joes ancient orange mead is? Mine is almost 3 months along and still bubbling. I followed the recipe exactly so I dont know why its taking so long. I'll be checking the gravity when I bottle it, just want an idea of what to expect.

Eric

the recipe on here states around 1.030, which is where mine is after close to 4 months I think. Mine is sweet, and needs some time ageing but is drinkable

According to my refractometer, my OG was 31 brix, and my FG was 15 brix...seemed like it made a lot of alcohol... it was a little warm in the closet.

I'd say 1.020 is reasonable. no need to wait til you bottle it to run a hydro test. remember, airlock bubbling does NOT equal fermentation

I've had plenty of things bubble for a month when the gravity never changed. I've had things never bubble, but the gravity fell 80 points.

Hydrometer is the only thing you can trust.

Mine ended at 1.030 after a month. It's pretty sweet, but drinkable. I think a couple of months of aging will improve it nicely.

Mine's still at 1.060 after almost 3 months. Tastes good, but seems a little high. Maybe my yeast didnt survive long enough to finish the job?

Does anyone know what the original gravity would be if you followed the recipe exactly?

Back