Chlorophenols - my archenemy, my nemesis, my moby dick, my caddy shack gopher.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-TH-

Reaction score
I’ll get right to the point - all my beers (9 batches to date) have a flavor in them I don’t like – I’m pretty sure its chlorophenols. I would describe it as a burnt plastic/rubber, SWMBO describes it as more of a nasty metallic aftertaste, I notice it most when I burp. If I swish the beer around in a glass and take a big whiff, we both say it could resemble band-aids. But at this point who knows. The flavor has been minimized along the way, and the last two batches are drinkable, but barely. SWMBO still won’t touch it after tasting a sample.

So here’s what I have done in my quest…

Water – Changed from tap to store-bought drinking
Ferm temps – Built a fermentation chamber to hold temps at constant 65°
Sanitizer – Went from chlorine to one-step to iodophor
Fermenters – Tried buckets, BB’s, and glass
Yeast – Have used dry (hydrated and not hydrated) and liquid
Priming – Went from boiled tap water to boiled bottled water, also tried carb tabs
Bottling Equipment – Tried new hoses, tried not using bottling bucket at all (primed in bottles)
Boil Kettle – Have used alum and SS, partial boil and full boil.
Extract – Tried only DME, only LME, and mixture of the 2.
Hops – Have used several varieties: Cascade, Kent Golding, Spalt Select, Willamette, Perle, & Centennial
Steeped Grains – Every batch I steeped grains, usually some sort of Crystal. Tried steeping in 3 gal and 1 gal.
Recipes – A range of styles from hoppy to malty. I use Qbrew to formulate. All batches were 3 gal.
Process – Sometimes used secondary, ferment at least 4 weeks, allow at least 4 weeks in bottles. Many have been in much longer now and still have “the taste”.
Other - Tried RDWHAHB. It didn't work.

So I have completely run out of options. I was determined to make a good extract batch prior to going AG but not anymore. My plan now is to go AG, use tap water but with a campden tablet (my water is supposedly really low in chlorine and no chloromides). I’m going to use a tried and true recipe (probably BM’s centennial blonde). Any other suggestions? I would be willing to mail some samples free of charge to anyone interested in confirming this off taste. Maybe it is something else, like extract twang even. I don't know.

This is what the BJCP guide said would cause it:

- Wild yeast
- Improper
sanitation
- Some malt types
- Some yeast strains
- Chlorophenols in
water
- Improper rinse of
chlorine sanitizers
- Oversparging;
sparging above pH
6.0; sparging above
170 degrees

This is what it said would fix it:

- Use pure yeast strains
- Practice good
sanitation
- Use “clean” malt
- Use yeast less prone
to phenolic production
- filter tap water
- Use non- chlorine
sanitizers
- Proper sparging while
monitoring temperature
and pH

Bottled water isn't guaranteed to be free of chlorine. I treat EVERYTHING with Campden that doesn't go through a chloramine removing filter. Even the tap water I use to mix my Star San.

I recently posted about my recent woes with chlorine... I was getting chlorine from my PVC garden hose I used to clean my equipment. I switched to using an RV hose and/or clean the equipment in the kitchen sink now. Problem solved.

I never use any chlorinated products, and use high grade carbon filtration. I ALWAYS had traces of the same flavor you talked about until i tried an AG batch. gone. it could have been a fluke, but I was SO careful with all my extract batches.

If your AG batch is clean, be sure to follow up with a post.

good luck.

I have been experiencing this same exact problem Bandaid Burps. As far as I can figure is is chlorophenols. I have pretty much tried everything you had tried on your list. I have had this problem with extract and all grain. I thought I had solved when I switched to Bottled spring water. I had a run of really good batches. Then it came back. So, I just brewed another batch today and I treated everything with campden, tried a new brand of spring water, bought a new syphon hose, and other things. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that this fixes it. Otherwise I give up.

The last batch I made for a party was a smoked porter with 5# of rauch malt. I tasted it a few days before the party while it was still warm and flat. It was SUPER smokey (hammy!) with hints of what seemed like chlorophenols in the aftertaste. I was a little stressed it was going to suck, but by the time it was cold and carbed there didn't seem to be a trace of either. The day after the party (it had been sitting out and had warmed up) I had some leftover and it seemed to be back, although not as strong as initially.

Dunno if this is relevant at all to your situation, but carbonation and cold seem to help mask off/strong flavors. Hope you figure it out.

What are you mixing your sanitizer with....TAP WATER? A lot of people forget that, even in their attempt to avoid chlorine in their brewing water, the mix their sanitizer from the tap....

Pro-brewer has a great two part paper on Chlorophenols...this may have some more info...

It's in pdf form.

Part 1
http://www.probrewer.com/resources/library/42-phenolic.pdf

Part 2
http://www.probrewer.com/resources/library/43-phenolic.pdf

This is a good piece from BYO's mr wizard on Chlorphenols...

Chemical off-flavors are frequently encountered in beer and can be caused by numerous factors. The most obvious cause comes from traces of cleaning or sanitizing chemicals left on equipment surfaces after use. Chemicals containing chlorine and iodine are well known contributors of chemical off-flavors if the compounds remain on the equipment. Of the two, chlorine is the worst because it can combine with malt phenols to form a class of compounds called chlorophenols, which have a pronounced medicinal aroma. Iodine sanitizers usually cause no problems if used at their recommended concentration.

Some brewers encounter problems with chlorine even without using chlorinated sanitizers. These problems are often traced to chlorinated tap water. If brewers use chlorinated tap water for rinsing brewing equipment, then chlorophenol off-flavors may arise. One well known craft brewer had a problem with chlorophenols in his fruit beer that was eventually traced to the fruit. The fruit source had been rinsed at the farm with chlorinated water and this chlorine was being introduced to the beer at the time of fruit addition. This problem took some good detective work to solve.

Medicinal aromas can also come from wild yeast contamination. In fact the classic indicator of wild yeast contamination in beer is a distinct phenolic aroma. This aroma is often likened to cloves or the smell of standard bandages.

This PDF may have some answers...I thought I did see Cambden mentioned in it.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...WElb0P&usg=AFQjCNGcxQhIoK71wGiuDqxwJIrCKZtV4w

I would encourage you to send out some samples, or to get some to the nearest BJCP judge...I am always hesitant to self diagnose a beer of my own, simply from reading something....since taste is subjective, I like to have others taste it, without telling them what I think is wrong...and see what people say....Preferably people with more experience in brewing than i have.

Becasue it could very well NOT be Chlorphenols...in fact there could actually be nothing wrong with your beer to another person....you might be too critical.....or something...so send them out....

Hope this helps.

Bottled water isn't guaranteed to be free of chlorine. I treat EVERYTHING with Campden that doesn't go through a chloramine removing filter. Even the tap water I use to mix my Star San.

I recently posted about my recent woes with chlorine... I was getting chlorine from my PVC garden hose I used to clean my equipment. I switched to using an RV hose and/or clean the equipment in the kitchen sink now. Problem solved.

+1..I wish I could find that article about how chlorophenols can be "cumulative" they could be the "right" combination of circumstances, including a little bit from the the hose, a little bit from the sanitizer or cleanser, a little bit from the chemical composition of your buckets over time....just little "peces of the puzzel" that in some breweries suddenly add uo...

Did I maybe link it in your original thread?

Here's more of the stuff from my posting in other threads.....

PHENOLIC

CHARACTERISTICS: A hospital-medicine chest flavor and aroma, best detected by its aroma components; caused by phenols. Some phenolic tastes are desired depending on the style. Other descriptions include Band-Aid-like, plasticlike, smoky, clovelike.

HIGH LEVELS DUE TO PROCESS: Yeast strain; chlorophenols in the water; improper rinse of chlorine sanitizers; oversparging; sparging above pH 6.0; sparging above 170 degrees; wild yeast contamination.

LOW LEVELS DUE TO PROCESS: Charcoal filtering of tap water; good healthy yeast strain; proper sparging while monitoring temperature and pH, good rinse of sanitizers or use of non-chlorine sanitizers.

EXAMPLES: Wheat beers have a high amount of the phenol 4-vinyl guaiacol that gives the characteristic clove taste.

Phenolics are more prominent as an off-aroma, but also are imparted in the flavor of beer. It is described as medicinal, band-aid-like, smokey, clove-like, and plastic-like. Except in certain styles where small amounts are appropriate, phenols are hugely unacceptable. There are many sources of contamination:

* Chlorophenols exist in municipal water supplies and residue from chlorine-based sanitizers. They can affect beer in parts-per-billion (ppb)! Avoidance of both should be given; find a substitute water supply and avoid chlorine-based sanitizers altogether.
* Phenols extracted from malt during the mash and sparge are polyphenols, also called tannins. They interact with proteins to form chill or permanent haze. If oxidized through hot-side aeration, they create oxidized fusel alcohols. Proper sparging, and avoidance of excessive sparging can reduce the phenolic production. Also, sparge water should be low in alkalinity, and not in excess of 167°F. Likewise, extract brewers should avoid boiling grains.
* Phenols are also derived from certain yeast strains that produce aromatic alcohols. Bavarian wheat beers produce acceptable levels of phenols by creating 4-vinyl guaiacol that results in a pleasing clovelike phenolic tone under the correct conditions. Careful selection of yeast can eliminate undesired affects.
* Wild yeast contamination can harbor within plastic-based equipment, such as polyethylene fermenters and plastic hoses. These materials as soft and permeable, hence difficult to clean. Wild yeasts such as S. diatatius produce minor wort phenols that impart medicinal off-flavors. Migration to glass and stainless replacements are the best solution. Also check for defective bottle caps.
* Smokey phenols are a byproduct of smoked malts, such as in Rauchbier, and Scotch ales. Low amounts are appropriate, but excess use of malt can be overbearing.

The other thought is that you have a house bug....a brewery germ now in your system (maybe even in the air) and it is a wild yeast phenolic infection....
Wild yeast contamination can harbor within plastic-based equipment, such as polyethylene fermenters and plastic hoses. These materials as soft and permeable, hence difficult to clean. Wild yeasts such as S. diatatius produce minor wort phenols that impart medicinal off-flavors.

Are you planning to go to any Teach a Neighbor to Homebrew Day gatherings on Saturday? You could take some bottles, and maybe find a Bjcp judge...

Too bad you aren't 3 hours from where I'll be on saturday, I can think of at least 3 judges that will be at Cap N Cork on saturday, plus a bunch of other brewers of various levels of experience....

Thanks for the info Revvy and others. MajorTom I just read through your post from last week (not sure how I missed it) and will be eager to see how you fare. Sacc, did you have a thread of your own? I couldn't find it searching (I miss the old advanced search).

I'm debating if I should hold off on the AG and do one more extract batch, this time using campden tablets (including wash and sanitize water). I don't recall seeing anyone who has done this and had chlorophenols.

Thanks for the info Revvy and others. MajorTom I just read through your post from last week (not sure how I missed it) and will be eager to see how you fare. Sacc, did you have a thread of your own? I couldn't find it searching (I miss the old advanced search).

I'm debating if I should hold off on the AG and do one more extract batch, this time using campden tablets (including wash and sanitize water). I don't recall seeing anyone who has done this and had chlorophenols.

Heck, it's worth a try...you've done a pretty good job of trying to eliminate variables...so one more batch wouldn't hurt...but I would still have some other brewers taste your beers...for all you know you might be a "super taster" where your beer is concerned and may actually just be over sensitive to something that noone else is picking up....which sucks for you....but might mean that other's don't love you beers...

have you gotten all your grains/yeast /hops from the same place?Not trying to knock you LHBS ,but it might be worth a shot to buy from somewhere else.I think you've changed every other variable.

So, based on the replies and references here, I think the possible causes that remain are:

1. Chlorine – either from store-bought drinking water used for boiling & priming or my tap water used for rinsing and sanitizing.

2. Wild yeast or other contamination – this would have to be in my house’s air or plumbing because I have eliminated every possible piece of equipment at one time or another.

3. Malt – extracting tannins. Does not apply since I am doing extract, although one constant in all my brews is that I used steeped grains.

4. Wrong diagnosis – could be something other than chlorophenols like extract twang, etc.

5. Psychosis – its all in my head and my beer is fine.

I plan on brewing one more batch of extract, this time using campden tablets in ALL my water: boiling, priming, rinsing, and sanitizing. This would eliminate cause #1. I’m thinking about also ruling out #3 by not doing steeped grains this time. #4 and #5 can be ruled out by having someone knowledgeable sample my beer - I hope to do this soon. #2 is the only one I can’t easily rule out, but if that is indeed the culprit, I might just have to quit altogether.

I’ll let you know how it turns out in 8 weeks. Thanks again for all the help. I thought I was out of options.

You forgot not paying proper tribute to the beergnomes....

288944953_3bcfc0f1b9.jpg

One must remember to leave a thimbul full of beer out on yeast pitching day.

:mug:

Hey -TH- I am at Westshore mall today and tomorrow. These are the last times I will be here as I am returning to full schedules in Grand Rapids. Offer is still open to drop off some beers for another opinion. Not that I am a judge or anything, but I do drink a hell of a lot of beer. :D

A couple suggestions that I don't think have been mentioned.

1. For your steeping grains, use 3/4 a teaspoon of PH 5.2 per gallon of steeping/sparge water (should be able to get this at your LHBS) Or for this experiment no steeping grains at all would work.

2. You're probably already doing this but make sure to take your pot off of the heat when you add extract until it is well mixed.

3. Get fresh malt extract. Generally I have had great results with anything from AHS or Morebeer, but when I buy cans from my LHBS I only buy Briess because it is made in America and I assume it to be fresh.

But as with any other experiment, you need to limit it to one independent variable. If you go through your brew day trying 20 new things and stressing about every detail, you're not going to be having much fun. If you can narrow it down to the one/few things you overlooked and just make those part of your regular brewing habits it will be a lot more enjoyable.

I had a fairly consistent off flavor with my extract batches and I did these 3 things and haven't had a problem since. Hope this helps.

One more suggestion. Take a taste sample every step of the way to make it easier to determine what is wrong. Taste the wort after you steep your grains and before you put your extract in. Taste it before you pitch your yeast, before you transfer to secondary, etc. Just be sure not to contaminate it in the process :D

Oh, and make sure your air conditioner/fan/whatever is turned off when you are dealing with your chilled wort, and cover your fermenter with sanitized foil while transferring or while cooling your wort to further eliminate the possibilities of wild yeast getting into your beer.

One more suggestion. Take a taste sample every step of the way to make it easier to determine what is wrong. Taste the wort after you steep your grains and before you put your extract in. Taste it before you pitch your yeast, before you transfer to secondary, etc. Just be sure not to contaminate it in the process :D

This is great advice!!!

Thanks for the advice Jumbo.

My hunch is still leaning towards water, thus the "campden in all phases of water" experiment is up next. I'm also thinking about eliminating the steeping grains as a possible cause, but then if I fix the problem I won't be sure which was the culprit. I may have to do two separate batches.

As far as tasting along the way, I have been doing this, but the phenolic flavor is undectable until after a week or two in the bottle. This at first led me to believe that somewhere in the bottling process lies the problem (which it still could - as my bottles are wet with tap-water based sanitizer when I fill them) but someone pointed out to me once that chlorophenols/phenols aren't really detectable until after the beer is somewhat carbonated no matter what.

Thanks for the advice Jumbo.

My hunch is still leaning towards water, thus the "campden in all phases of water" experiment is up next. I'm also thinking about eliminating the steeping grains as a possible cause, but then if I fix the problem I won't be sure which was the culprit. I may have to do two separate batches.

As far as tasting along the way, I have been doing this, but the phenolic flavor is undectable until after a week or two in the bottle. This at first led me to believe that somewhere in the bottling process lies the problem (which it still could - as my bottles are wet with tap-water based sanitizer when I fill them) but someone pointed out to me once that chlorophenols/phenols aren't really detectable until after the beer is somewhat carbonated no matter what.

So I ended up basically doing about 5 things at once, which worked. I seem to have gotten rid of the PHenols in my finished beer, but I couldn;t pinpoint exactly what was causing it, though my suspicions are similar to your's with the water......here's what I did, though.

1. I tossed my old scratched bottling bucket, 1 old scratched smelly fermentor, and all hoses. I ordered a Better Bottle to take it's place (and new hoses, obviously.
2. I started mixing my Star-San with Distilled water, with the added benefit that I can re-use it as long as it stays clean and clear.
3. I used to buy 7 gallons of spring water for brew day, and inevitably I'd be a tiny bit short and end up using tap water from my sink filter which doesn nothing to chloramines, which I definitely have in my tap water.....I thought the small amounts would be ok, but I think this assumption was wrong.
4. Even though I use spring water from the store, I still treat it with Campden tablets at the recommended 1 tab/20 gallon ratio for chloramine removal.
5. I am making sure that my fermenting temps stay well below 70, unless the recipe/yeast calls for it, of course.
6. I prayed to the beer gods, and brewed up three new batches with all these changes in place......

......The first one has been bottled 1 week now and..... SO FAR SO GOOD! it's the best beer I've ever made (wheat porter)! It's really really good, and no trace whatsoever of chlorophenols.

I guess all I can say is keep at it, and kudo's for having enough patience not to get frustrated and shotgun your methodical weeding out of the problem like I did. You will have success and yo umust report back when you do! I am especially interested to hear how the campden works with your tap water.

laters.
B

So I ended up basically doing about 5 things at once, which worked. I seem to have gotten rid of the PHenols in my finished beer, but I couldn;t pinpoint exactly what was causing it, though my suspicions are similar to your's with the water......here's what I did, though.

1. I tossed my old scratched bottling bucket, 1 old scratched smelly fermentor, and all hoses. I ordered a Better Bottle to take it's place (and new hoses, obviously.
2. I started mixing my Star-San with Distilled water, with the added benefit that I can re-use it as long as it stays clean and clear.
3. I used to buy 7 gallons of spring water for brew day, and inevitably I'd be a tiny bit short and end up using tap water from my sink filter which doesn nothing to chloramines, which I definitely have in my tap water.....I thought the small amounts would be ok, but I think this assumption was wrong.
4. Even though I use spring water from the store, I still treat it with Campden tablets at the recommended 1 tab/20 gallon ratio for chloramine removal.
5. I am making sure that my fermenting temps stay well below 70, unless the recipe/yeast calls for it, of course.
6. I prayed to the beer gods, and brewed up three new batches with all these changes in place......

......The first one has been bottled 1 week now and..... SO FAR SO GOOD! it's the best beer I've ever made (wheat porter)! It's really really good, and no trace whatsoever of chlorophenols.

I guess all I can say is keep at it, and kudo's for having enough patience not to get frustrated and shotgun your methodical weeding out of the problem like I did. You will have success and yo umust report back when you do! I am especially interested to hear how the campden works with your tap water.

laters.
B

Thanks. I have yet to see someone use campden and have chlorophenols at all. I'm hopefull (for the 10th time).

I can't quit now, I like the hobby too much and can only imagine how much more great it will be when I make GOOD beer :drunk:

I can't quit now, I like the hobby too much and can only imagine how much more great it will be when I make GOOD beer

Props on your perseverance. I got started and didn't know a thing about it. Made a few extremely mediocre batches (I didn't even know I needed hops and had never heard of this website) and pretty much gave up for almost two years.... What got me started and determined again was getting my brother into beer and now he's my brew buddy. Now we have almost too much beer to drink and there's no end in sight. :cross:

So, -TH-......what's the outcome of your efforts? did you ever figure out the source of your chlorophenol problem?

I had a thought: do you happen to pour your priming sugar (and the water it's dissolved in) into your bottling bucket while it's still hot? I have had improvements and have had several batches turn out without the dreaded CPH's in them, but I've still had a few batches with traces of medicine/plastic, though nothing as severe as it used to be. I had a batch turn up with the flavor in some bottles but not all, actually, so that leaves me really scratching my head. I also bottled and IPA that seemed like it was going to develop that flavor and then suddenly it went away and the IPA is now great. in short, I'm still confused and haven't fully shaken the off-flavor. hit me up with your progress, -TH-.....

I recently gave an update in another thread so I will repost it for you here too:

Well I'm excited to say I think I have gotten to the root of the problem. An HBT member, Saccharomyces, graciously offered to sample a few of my beers so I sent him a couple. His response was that he was quite confident I did not have chlorophenols, but instead he detected a harsh astringency and maybe some hop over-utilization. He asked me for a copy of my water report so I sent it to him. This was his response:

Saccharomyces said:
I was right, your water is alkaline... Your water is fine for an AG brew (using 5.2 stabilizer), but for extract I would skip your water and go with 100% RO water; that will give you a less harsh hop bitterness, and will get rid of the pronounced mineral aftertaste I'm getting. For a hoppy beer you can add a tsp. of gypsum to the kettle with the RO water which will help up the sulfates and give you a crisper bitterness, but that is optional... For malty/balanced brews straight RO and extract will yield superior results every time!

I was talking with Chris Colby (BYO editor) a few months back about his method for extract/steeping grains. We were discussing your very problem which is very common -- 99% of brewers will get to the level where you are now with extract/steeping grains and think they have to go to AG to make better beer. Fact is you don't, Chris only does AG batches with a brew buddy. He has been doing extract for 20 years and he makes some GREAT beers. Here's the Colby method:

- Start with 1 gallon of Campden treated RO water and 1 tsp of 5.2 pH stabilizer in the kettle. Stir in 1 lb of dry extract while heating to 165*F. At 165*F remove from heat. Drop in the steeping grain bag, tea bag it to get the grains wet and let it sit 30 minutes. Steeping in a small volume with pH stabilizer and extract keeps the pH around 5.2 which will prevent extracting tannins from the grain husks, which is the most common off flavor in extract beers.
- Drop a strainer over the pot and move the grain bag to the strainer. Run your top-off water slowly over the grains to rinse them until you get to your desired boil volume. Stir in 1/3 of the remaining extract for a partial boil, or 2/3 if doing a full volume boil, and bring to a boil. Add your bittering hops.
- With 15 minutes left in the boil, add a whirlfloc tablet, yeast nutrient, and the rest of your extract (do this off the heat so you don't scorch of course!).
- Stir continuously while chilling until the wort drops below 140*F. Chris uses an immersion chiller in his sink and then moves to an ice bath until he gets down to pitching temp. I already gave you my method, while more hands-on it works too.

Give his method a try and I think you'll be amazed at the results.

I am extremely grateful to him for his help and I plan on trying this method soon. As of right now, I did an AG batch 4 weeks ago that needs to be bottled soon and I also did one small test extract batch w/o steeping on that day as well.

I'm optimistic.

This thread was extremely helpfull. I too had a similar issue as you (metallic like aftertaste) in all my beers. I tried EVERYTHING to locate and remove this "House Flavor". I was an ectract brewer for over 10 years fighting this. I went to AG and the flavor totally dissapeared. I did not know why this fixed it - but I really didn't care as long as I was drinking good beer I would actually buy and wasn't ashamed to share with friends and family.

Now I think I know WHY I had this problem - I am a hop head and also was not working on my water ph.

Thanks for posting this up.

Yesterday I went to a local microbrewery and helped out the brewers for some additional education. I highly recommend doing this if you can make friends with some local brewers. I also had them taste all of my homebrews, and the most consistent response to all of my beers was high phenolics (and oxidation which is another issue all together).

They did not believe it was the result of my yeast, fermentation, or process, but rather because I was steeping base malts. I typically include a smallish amount of regular grain (e.g., pils malt or 2row)...I don't know why I picked this up but I just did. Then I would drain them through a collander. Basically they told me to only steep with specialty character malts, like caramel malts, and not to use anything that would be considered a base malt.

They said unless I do a correct mash and filter the grains correctly through the grain bed, then I shouldn't bother with base malts. It leaves too much of the grain material in the boil and leads to tannins and high phenols.

So keep that in mind...maybe make sure that you only steep with specialty grains like Caramels.

I am encountering the dreaded band aid burnt rubber taste also. I have made five batches of beer since I moved to North Carolina and two of the last three havetaste like burnt rubber and band aids. I dumped a batch a tonight and tasted bad and have another still in the fermenter and it tastes horrible. I have dumped one batch in the last 4 years until tonight. I've never had the band aid/burnt rubber taste until I moved to NC. Here is what I have brewed since I moved to NC.

1. Brewed an DIPA with White Labs California yeast (made starter) and it tasted great.
2. Brewed a wit with using Wyeast (no starter) and it had the band aid/burnt rubber taste. Dumped it tonight after 4 weeks in the keg.
3. Brewed a double batch of beer. Intending to blend and put in an oak barrel. I used the yeast cake from the wit and used Wyeast Rosalaire for the other half of the batch. Tasted the wit in the fermenter. It is about 8 weeks old. No band aid/burnt rubber taste in the wit beer. I haven't tasted the Rosalaire batch.
4. I made a Nut brown ale with Wyeast (no starter). I kegged it tonight. It taste terrible. Strong band aid/burnt rubber taste.

Could this just be from stressed yeast? I used the yeast cake from the bad beer and the second beer tastes fine. What does that mean?

Help. I'm pissed

Back