Forgot to aerate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffondg

Reaction score
So I pitched my yeast starter this morning into my Arrogant Bastard clone and went to work...when I realized a couple of hours later than I never used my O2 and stone. Had a ballgame after work to attend so just got home. It's already fermenting nicely at 66 with a decent krausen. Should I give it a shot of O2 or just let it go?

Thanks, and cheers!

Eric

At this point, I'd just let it go... Unless the OG was really high (over 1.100) you could cause more harm than good by hitting it with O2 now. If it was above 1.100, then you could hit it with 1-2lpm for 60 seconds to help it out. Really big (high OG) brews can often take advantage of additional O2 12-18 hours after yeast pitching. I wouldn't go past the first 18 hours though.

I know I will be ran out of town for this, but I have NOT aerated my wort in along time. I dump in half jar of slurry into 10 gal. and walk away. and no my beers dont suffer. but Im a heretic. your beer will be ok.a healthy pitch is close to godlyness

I know I will be ran out of town for this, but I have NOT aerated my wort in along time. I dump in half jar of slurry into 10 gal. and walk away. and no my beers dont suffer. but Im a heretic. your beer will be ok.a healthy pitch is close to godlyness

HEATHEN!!! Barbarian!! j/k

While you'll get fermentation either way, better oxygenation will give your yeast a shorter lag phase, and allow them to build stronger cell walls (they need O2 to do that). What little is infused by dumping/shaking is ok, but far from optimal for anything over a moderate OG. Sure, you'll get beer either way, but I'd rather have less stressed yeast from the start. It's one of the reasons why we make starters (for liquid yeasts) too.

Ok I'm just going to chill and let it go this time since it's already off to a good start. I DID oxygenate the starter so hopefully my little yeast friends are healthy and happy!

Ok I'm just going to chill and let it go this time since it's already off to a good start. I DID oxygenate the starter so hopefully my little yeast friends are healthy and happy!

I use a stirplate for my starters, so they're always as good as you can get. I actually put the first step of a two step starter in the fridge tonight to cold crash until tomorrow night. I'll be making the second step starter then to let it run until Friday evening, at which point it will go into the fridge again to cold crash until it's pitched Saturday evening.

Using stirplates for starters means you're getting maximum O2 infusion and degassing for the entire starter time. They're also done much faster, and can be much smaller in size to get the same cell count. IF you're serious about starters, IMO, you'll have/get/make a stirplate to use with them. :rockin:

BTW, that only gets you to the pitching cell count, NOT what you'll need to ferment the beer. You'll get at least a few doublings post pitching of the starter. Mine is calling out 3.03 doublings from when the starter slurry gets pitched until the final cell count is achieved (which is when the lag phase ends). I'll be using my pure O2 setup for the brew, giving it about 1.5lpm for 60-90 seconds before pitching the slurry. I plan on getting an actual O2 meter/tester in September/October (post move) so that I'll be able to start building a database of how much O2 to give certain OG ranges.

I use a stirplate for my starters, so they're always as good as you can get. I actually put the first step of a two step starter in the fridge tonight to cold crash until tomorrow night. I'll be making the second step starter then to let it run until Friday evening, at which point it will go into the fridge again to cold crash until it's pitched Saturday evening.

Using stirplates for starters means you're getting maximum O2 infusion and degassing for the entire starter time. They're also done much faster, and can be much smaller in size to get the same cell count. IF you're serious about starters, IMO, you'll have/get/make a stirplate to use with them. :rockin:

BTW, that only gets you to the pitching cell count, NOT what you'll need to ferment the beer. You'll get at least a few doublings post pitching of the starter. Mine is calling out 3.03 doublings from when the starter slurry gets pitched until the final cell count is achieved (which is when the lag phase ends). I'll be using my pure O2 setup for the brew, giving it about 1.5lpm for 60-90 seconds before pitching the slurry. I plan on getting an actual O2 meter/tester in September/October (post move) so that I'll be able to start building a database of how much O2 to give certain OG ranges.

For sure, a stirplate is my next purchase!:mug:

In 40 years of brewing I have never aerated the wort prior to yeast pitch. I take 8 fl oz of water at 20 to 30 deg C and sprinkle on safale 04, 15 minutes later I add a teaspoon of brewing sugar and "aerate" with a teaspoon for 30 seconds or so. After 1 to 2 hours I have 2 to 3 inches of rocky head and pitch it. It works for me. I bottle in 3 to 7 days and drink in a further 14 days. The yeast does the same in the bottle as it does in primaries and secondaries IMHO.

In 40 years of brewing I have never aerated the wort prior to yeast pitch. I take 8 fl oz of water at 20 to 30 deg C and sprinkle on safale 04, 15 minutes later I add a teaspoon of brewing sugar and "aerate" with a teaspoon for 30 seconds or so. After 1 to 2 hours I have 2 to 3 inches of rocky head and pitch it. It works for me. I bottle in 3 to 7 days and drink in a further 14 days. The yeast does the same in the bottle as it does in primaries and secondaries IMHO.

Whatever works for you.:D

Unless I am mistaken it is not as important to aerate for dry yeast but quite important with liquid yeast.

If, for 40 years you have been drinking "green" beer, do you think that maybe your beer could be even better if you let it go longer as almost everyone else does?

3 to 7 days seems way to soon for me anyway. I like to crash cool/clear for at least 3 to seven days before I rack to keg. but if it works for you,great.

For sure, a stirplate is my next purchase!:mug:

If you're moderately handy, you can make your own for next to nothing. An old computer fan, a power pack, some rare earth magnets, and some epoxy and you're good to go. I'm sure there are some good tutorials in the DIY forum here or on YouTube.

I just recently put good effort into aerating (after about 3 years of not really doing much - never had an issue though). I do find that my krausen is much higher and my yeast much more active, and quicker at that, when I put good effort into aerating. Its all beer right?

My aeration method is to stir vigoriusly in the better bottle with the sanitized ass end of my plastic brewing spoon. I crank it around one direction 10 x or so anf then reverse direction. That seemed to be "working" but I have been wondering about the DIY attachments people make for drills to whip it into a nice creamy concoction....

Latest posts

Back