recipe for light beer low in carbs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheapass

Reaction score
Is there a recipe for this kind of beer simuler to Bud, Coors, or Busch light. I love beer but hate to buy another pants size larger :mug:

I brew this for my girlfriend,its low carb and low cal and tastes better then other commercial low carb light beers...

BMC Beano Light

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

01-A Light Lager, Lite American Lager

Min OG: 1.028 Max OG: 1.040
Min IBU: 8 Max IBU: 12
Min Clr: 2 Max Clr: 3 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 11.00 Wort Size (Gal): 11.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.50
Anticipated OG: 1.031 Plato: 7.70
Anticipated SRM: 3.6
Anticipated IBU: 15.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 88 %
Wort Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 11.26 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 12.66 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.027 SG 6.72 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81.0 8.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Canada 1.037 2
9.5 1.00 lbs. CaraPils Dextrine Malt USA 1.033 10
9.5 1.00 lbs. Crystal 15L UK 1.035 15

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.50 oz. Centennial Pellet 9.90 11.1 60 min.
1.00 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 4.00 2.4 15 min.
1.00 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 4.00 1.5 5 min.

Yeast
-----
Fermentis us-05 Safale

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 10.50
Water Qts: 14.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.50 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.33 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 148 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 170 Time: 15
Sparge Temp : 0 Time: 0

Total Mash Volume Gal: 4.34 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Notes
-----
add 4 beano tablets ground up in primary once fermentation slows

I brew this for my girlfriend,its low carb and low cal and tastes better then other commercial low carb light beers...

BMC Beano Light

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

01-A Light Lager, Lite American Lager

Min OG: 1.028 Max OG: 1.040
Min IBU: 8 Max IBU: 12
Min Clr: 2 Max Clr: 3 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 11.00 Wort Size (Gal): 11.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.50
Anticipated OG: 1.031 Plato: 7.70
Anticipated SRM: 3.6
Anticipated IBU: 15.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 88 %
Wort Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 11.26 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 12.66 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.027 SG 6.72 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
81.0 8.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Canada 1.037 2
9.5 1.00 lbs. CaraPils Dextrine Malt USA 1.033 10
9.5 1.00 lbs. Crystal 15L UK 1.035 15

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.50 oz. Centennial Pellet 9.90 11.1 60 min.
1.00 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 4.00 2.4 15 min.
1.00 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 4.00 1.5 5 min.

Yeast
-----
Fermentis us-05 Safale

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 10.50
Water Qts: 14.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.50 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.33 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 148 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 170 Time: 15
Sparge Temp : 0 Time: 0

Total Mash Volume Gal: 4.34 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Notes
-----
add 4 beano tablets ground up in primary once fermentation slows

Nice Recipe

What does your final gravity end up at ?

I brewed this a few weeks ago. Around 150 calories per 12 oz. bottle. This definitely isn't a BMC. But it is light and very sessionable.

I fermented it with dry nottingham and brettanomyces lambicus (pitched both at the same time) and it has some nice funk. I've done this same recipe with a kolsch yeast and it turned out great.

The stats on here (FG) are for using the brett which attenuates really well (1.008FG) the kolsch yeast if memory serves only got down to 1.012.

Fermentables
54% 6lb 8oz American Two-row Pale

35% 4lb 4oz Rye Malt

4% 0 8oz White Wheat Malt

6% 0 4oz American Crystal 60L

Batch size: 6.0 gallons
Original Gravity

Final Gravity

Color
8° SRM / 11° EBC

HOPS (IBUS CALCULATED WITH TINSETH) 19.1 IBUS
USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA

boil 60 mins 0.25 Target pellet 8.6

boil 20 mins 0.75 Target pellet 8.6

boil 10 mins 1.0 Willamette pellet 5.5

boil 5 mins 1.0 Willamette pellet 5.5

boil 1 min 1.0 Willamette pellet 5.5

Nice Recipe

really low, around 0.999

IMAG0029.jpg

The beer you mention is already very cheap. I'm not sure you can brew it for much cheaper than it would be to just buy it.

cheapest "low carb" elcheapo beer around here is natty light which is $16 for a 30 pack.

I can brew 10 gallons of this for around $12 .... and even cheaper if I brew it with second runnings

What is the beano doing for it?

The enzyme in beano converts the complex carbohydrate chains that the yeast can't consume in to simple ones that the yeast can consume. Which is why the final gravity ends up being so low.

ShakerD said:
The enzyme in beano converts the complex carbohydrate chains that the yeast can't consume in to simple ones that the yeast can consume. Which is why the final gravity ends up being so low.

Then what does that do for the beer taste and mouth feel? Make it dryer?

Then what does that do for the beer taste and mouth feel? Make it dryer?

Much drier and will thin it big time so it will work perfect for a light beer. My experience with using beano is that it will continue to work and will take weeks to finally break everything down. I had to uncap my experiment twice to degas the bottles of beer because of how over carbed it was.

Much drier and will thin it big time so it will work perfect for a light beer. My experience with using beano is that it will continue to work and will take weeks to finally break everything down. I had to uncap my experiment twice to degas the bottles of beer because of how over carbed it was.

yep, but that is the key to low carb...which is what the GF wanted...so I brewed it

If you're a doing an all grain all you need is an extended beta rest which is how they make light beer. 2 hours at 140 degrees before moving up to the alpha rest will give you a bone dry beer. I tried it with a German Pils that started at 1.050. It finished at 1.002. It was like drinking flour and water.

If you're a doing an all grain all you need is an extended beta rest which is how they make light beer. 2 hours at 140 degrees before moving up to the alpha rest will give you a bone dry beer. I tried it with a German Pils that started at 1.050. It finished at 1.002. It was like drinking flour and water.

good info to know

That sounds like a better way then doing the beano. Like I said with beano, it fermented so slow towards the end of fermentation that I thought it was done (consistent readings) and it had cleared but it was still going.

That sounds like a better way then doing the beano. Like I said with beano, it fermented so slow towards the end of fermentation that I thought it was done (consistent readings) and it had cleared but it was still going.

Can you tell us what your time line was when you used beano?

Cheers

Can you tell us what your time line was when you used beano?

Cheers

~4 weeks then in fermenter then moved to bottles where I had to uncap them all after ~1 month and then again a few weeks later. Priming sugar amount figured by beersmith and weighed out on a digital scale (not by cup amount).

I understand leaving the mash at 140 for the beta rest to end with a very fermentable wort but don't understand why you still would do an alpha rest? Please explain.

Cheers
:mug:

I understand leaving the mash at 140 for the beta rest to end with a very fermentable wort but don't understand why you still would do an alpha rest? Please explain.

Cheers

Not really sure as I was just loosely following some mash schedules I found on some online BYO articles about light beer. But I just looked it up and the answer they give is "so that alpha amylase can reduce the size of any large starch molecules that may have survived."

I have been really wanting to do this soon. I was thinking of doing it as high gravity brewing, make five gallons at double strength and dilute to ten going into the fermenters.

Digging up this thread a bit, but....

I have been really wanting to do this soon. I was thinking of doing it as high gravity brewing, make five gallons at double strength and dilute to ten going into the fermenters.

you can also brew and ferment it at a higher gravity and dilute after fermentation if you don't have a 10g fermentation vessel (this is how large breweries do high gravity brewing).

Three things to remember:
-Dilute with boiled water that is well de-oxygenated
-Only cut up to 30% (make a 6g batch and dilute to 7.8g post fermentation)
-Make sure you have a very good fermentation because diluting post fermentation will exaggerate off flavors.

Note, I've never done this but have read quite a bit about it...plan on doing it next batch for a 1.028 Lite Beer.

http://www.probrewer.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-412.html

Digging up this thread a bit, but....

I am glad you did. I was inspired by this thread and brewed a "lite" beer

Canadian 2row and Hallertau SMASH ~18 IBU

And used 6 Beano tabs on 12 gallons

It came out excellent and very light. I know a lot of people don't like beano and using it for brewing but it worked for me. It's a hit with the BMC and really is not a bad beer to drink.

The only thing is, I ended up with chill haze for the first time ever but that doesn't affect the taste but is unsightly. Other thread have suggested it was from using mostly 2row, which has never been a problem in the past but I think it's because I switched to organic 2row?

Is BeerSmith accurate in figuring out cal/bottle?
I have a red ale that it says is 103 cal/pint
Seems pretty low cal to me.

Bjornbrewer said:
is it an ale or lager? Maybe a bit more cold conditioning will drop it out. I'm going to give a lite beer a go this weekend...just a small 1g batch with left over DME.

It's an Ale. I have it in the keezer set at 32 degrees hoping that will help. It'll probably be gone by the time that happens though.

So I did finally end up doing this. I brewed five gallons with around 8# of grain. Split into two fermenters, each diluted about 40/60 with water. OG was 1.033. FG is 1.004. I didn't use beano, just a really low mash temp (146?). US-05 around 70F for two weeks.

I am halfway through the first keg right now. I love having this available. It's a nice top off option. Or by the pool during the day. I can drink it steadily and still manage to participate in family life all evening. Usually... As long as I don't sneak in an Apfelwein...

I'm seriously considering making this every brew day. Two batches for the price of less than one. I think I'll dry hop one of the batches next time for a little variety. Maybe add some beano to drop the gravity below 1. As it is, ~3.7% suits me fine.

Not to be "that guy", but you don't mention lagering this thing anywhere in the recipe, yet it is listed as one. Am I missing something?

I didn't follow the recipe above, just the spirit of it. Low calorie beer. The rest is details.

>.The enzyme in beano converts the complex carbohydrate chains that the yeast can't consume in to simple ones that the yeast can consume. Which is why the final gravity ends up being so low.

Is this really true? Beano contains enzymes which humans lack for digesting certain plant starches like those in Beans and vegetables. Does it really help yeast as well? I would think you could avoid that by using a longer Sach rest and a wider temperature band.
I'm not sure it will taste better.

Nice Recipe

Yeah would like to try this I got a 55 gal drum and a kegerator so I got about 16 lbs wheat malt I want to use up and about 20 lbs grains was thinking I'll go get about 20 or 35 lbs more grains but any suggestions would help was thinking about 4 or 5 boils and just throw it al in the barrel to fermenter citra hops was thinking about 5 oz I need some ideas and a easy way to to do this I thought this up on the top of my head so I need a little input would help looking to start next week some time ty

Back