American IPA Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Bell's yeast is less flocculent than 05, which drops crystal clear. I'm not sure if it provides additional flavor elements because it's hard to taste anything else but those Centennial hops.
''

You're right on with this. 05 is very flocculent as opposed to 051/1272. Here's what I do. Cold crash for at least 4 days in the mid 30s farenheit (so the metric guys aren't confused). Do the gelatin method. 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin in 1/2 cup water. Let it bloom. It will become a semi-clear muck. Microwave it in 15 second intervals stirring in between. When it's clear and about 125F (4 or 5 15 second bursts) then dump it in your cold fermenter. Two days later take a corny keg, put 2 oz of centennial in a fine mesh hop bag and throw it in the bottom. Rack the beer on top. Seal, purge with CO2 and let it warm up and sit for a week on gas. Put it in the kegerator afterwards and enjoy.

I've made it twice per the original recipe. Fantastic, and a very close clone. Going to do a side by side this week.

Did the side by side:
Color is very close. Mine is slightly lighter but if they weren't side by side you wouldn't notice.
Smell, taste and bitterness is very close. Mine is slightly hoppier on all fronts.

It's two hearted, just a little soupped up. This will be in my regular rotation.

This was my first AG brew and I love it - very hard to distinguish from the commercial. Great simple recipe - have brewed it twice in my short brewing career and going to do it again maybe this weekend...

Did the side by side:
Color is very close. Mine is slightly lighter but if they weren't side by side you wouldn't notice.
Smell, taste and bitterness is very close. Mine is slightly hoppier on all fronts.

It's two hearted, just a little soupped up. This will be in my regular rotation.

I've wondered for years about this, since I live here in Michigan, and 2HA is my favorite beer, so if I don't have THIS on tap, I'm drinking the "real stuff."

I've just wondered if that "soupped up-ness" is just that no matter how fresh we might get from the brewery, or close to the distributor, our homwbrewed version is just going to be FRESHER, than the commercial. That brightness is just that our hasn't started to loose some of the bite, that all IPAs start to lose eventually. Just a thought.

I've wondered for years about this, since I live here in Michigan, and 2HA is my favorite beer, so if I don't have THIS on tap, I'm drinking the "real stuff."

I've just wondered if that "soupped up-ness" is just that no matter how fresh we might get from the brewery, or close to the distributor, our homwbrewed version is just going to be FRESHER, than the commercial. That brightness is just that our hasn't started to loose some of the bite, that all IPAs start to lose eventually. Just a thought.

I spend a lot of time in MI. A good amount of time has been spent drinking the ol Two Hearted out of cans and bottles.

I just did a clone that called for 12lbs 2 row, 1lb C10, 1oz60, 1@15, 1@5, 1@dry hop.

I used avangard pale ale malt as the base. Ended the FG 1.011 and OG 1.063. Pretty close.

The recipe I did needs more malt flavor for sure. More hops as well. I may give this recipe a try as the vienna may be what it needs.

I also used US-05.

I've always thought about this as well regarding my homebrews and even my wife has said she just thinks my homebrews taste fresher than commercial craft beers.

Has anybody had any success culturing from a bottle of two hearted? I know it's not the best candidate because of the higher ABV, but I have a bottle of this and the porter in the fridge right now. I figure if I combine the two and step up something good should happen.

Yes. If you look back a few pages to around Nov you'll see where I posted about it. It turned out very well.

Got bored and did the dead ringer grain bill/hop bill from NB yesterday. Big fan of 2 hearted and had a bunch of centennial hops to use so why not? I'm not a huge advocate of adding caramel malts (especially over 5%) but I have high hopes if it's anything like 2 hearted! I did however use Conan to ferment ��

Do most of yall that have brewed this really keep it in primary fermenter for four weeks as the OP recommends? I kegged this after 2 weeks primary plus a few days cold crashing, and now that it's nice and carbonated it tastes great but definitely still has a bit of "yeasty" aroma/flavor. Wondering if I should have let it go a bit longer, or how long I should abstain from the tap until it improves. Have always heard IPA's should be drank "fresh", so I guess I'm wondering where the sweet spot is. Used nottingham, btw.

Do most of yall that have brewed this really keep it in primary fermenter for four weeks as the OP recommends? I kegged this after 2 weeks primary plus a few days cold crashing, and now that it's nice and carbonated it tastes great but definitely still has a bit of "yeasty" aroma/flavor. Wondering if I should have let it go a bit longer, or how long I should abstain from the tap until it improves. Have always heard IPA's should be drank "fresh", so I guess I'm wondering where the sweet spot is. Used nottingham, btw.

Yes, you should have given it more time.... you kinda proved it for yourself.....it's "yeasty" because you didn't give it time to condition, for the yeast to clean up and then flocculate out.

The "ipas should always be drunk fresh" thing is one of those chestnuts that noobs and others repeat without thinking too deeply about, and oversimplify, without applying any modicum of common sense to. And keep perpetuating over and over and over.

It simply means that ipas aren't meant to be cellarred, that they don't age well...that they lose "punch" over time.

WHAT IT DOESN'T MEAN IS; "drink a beer while it's still green and unconditioned." If you want a great tasting beer you STILL want to let the beer finish fermenting and give it time for the yeast to clean up after itself and condition, like any other well made beer.

I still after over a decade figure out how come this is so hard for folks to grasp....I think it just feeds into the natural impatience of brewers, especially noobs. We want instant gratification, and anything that seems to rationalize our impatience we jump on....and then wonder why our beer sucks.... human nature.

But good beers have a natural conditioning cycle, regardless of what it is...and an ipa is STILL a relatively highish grav beer- it's the same grainbill of other beers- still made of grain, water, yeast and hops- no different than any other beer, so they still need the same amount of conditioning as any beers we make, wouldn't you think? You still want a good beer, don't you?

The only difference is that hops fade with time, and ipas are hop driven, it's not a big deal in porters, stouts, etc...because they're more malt forward. But we want out ipas to be hoppy.

SO if you simply dry hop the final week the conditioning phase you won't lose that hop aroma, and taste, especially if you do a lot....but you'll still have a tasty, well conditioned base beer underneath....one that's not green or "yeasty."

Makes sense, thanks for the response! Have had real good luck on a couple quick grain-to-glass beers like hefeweizens and blondes, now i know the same time-frame is pushing it for an IPA. I'll try to keep my hands off it for a bit and see how it improves.

Brewing this bad boy on Wednesday...went to the LHBS and spoke to the owner Mark and two of his guys all three recommended Wyeast 1098 British Ale so I'm giving it a go and see what I come up with...will post updates as they come

Brewed this up today...BS said 1.067, I got 1.064 so I'm not stressing...pitched yeast at 72° and put it into the cool brew bag gonna check on it tonight before bed but the sample tasted great...looking forward to this one

Brewing this bad boy on Wednesday...went to the LHBS and spoke to the owner Mark and two of his guys all three recommended Wyeast 1098 British Ale so I'm giving it a go and see what I come up with...will post updates as they come

Interesting that they would recommend that yeast. You'll have to let us know how it turns out.

I personally have stuck with Wyeast 1272 with great results. I used to harvest from Bells brews but I've found the Wyeast to be close enough. Although I just brewed another batch last weekend and I had to settle on using dry yeast (US05) as my online HBS I usually order from was out of 1272 and couldn't get it to me before I needed it to brew. I've had good results with US05 though so I'm not worried...:mug:

Interesting that they would recommend that yeast. You'll have to let us know how it turns out.

I personally have stuck with Wyeast 1272 with great results. I used to harvest from Bells brews but I've found the Wyeast to be close enough. Although I just brewed another batch last weekend and I had to settle on using dry yeast (US05) as my online HBS I usually order from was out of 1272 and couldn't get it to me before I needed it to brew. I've had good results with US05 though so I'm not worried...:mug:

I thought it was interesting as well...it was hard to argue with Mark he hasn't led me astray yet and he's written numerous books on clones so we'll see how it goes...its bubbling away nicely at 64° degrees so I'll keep posting updates!

Sorry -- dying to brew this, but don't have time to read 126 pages. 2 more questions, anything like a consensus on yeast? And what is the water profile and mash ph we're shooting for?

Thanks!! This looks awesome.

LOL should have started the last post with my 1st question -- is there a page among the 126 that has the "state of art" recipe? Then the next 2 questions, (i) yeast consensus? (ii) water profile and mash ph?

Thanks

Sorry -- dying to brew this, but don't have time to read 126 pages. 2 more questions, anything like a consensus on yeast? And what is the water profile and mash ph we're shooting for?

Thanks!! This looks awesome.

I like this beer with wy1968, but I just love that yeast. Doesn't finish as dry as some, but the flavor is great and the beer goes bright in under 2 weeks. I can't stand wy1098(s-04).

LOL should have started the last post with my 1st question -- is there a page among the 126 that has the "state of art" recipe? Then the next 2 questions, (i) yeast consensus? (ii) water profile and mash ph?

Thanks

Page 116 provided a link to the recipe as published by Bells:

http://imgur.com/r/Homebrewing/bfITU9X

It looks like people enjoy both this and the OP recipe. Bells also includes a gypsum addition (4 grams), which I assume would be for RO water. I luckily had a friend who brought some bells beer to me and I'm currently building up a starter. Looking forward to brewing one of these soon.

Alright folks so I took a sample today day 11 and got an FG of 1.006...apparent attenuation of 90%...pat on the back to me...7.6 ABV...Sample tasted great...I added my dry hops will let them mingle for five days, cold crash and keg...will be ready for my family BBQ on the 30th...very excited about this batch!

The sample was very balanced like the original and it was a little lighter then I remember guess I'll have to go over the boarder to NY and get a six pack to compare!

Cheers!

Alright fellow Brewers here is the first pint pulled with my WY1098.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1469839655.039370.jpg

Lighting isn't the best but comparing it to online photos it looks pretty close. Next week I'm gonna try to get my hands on some BTHA and compare side by side.

Taste is very well balanced not too sweet not to bitter I very much enjoy it and will add it to the rotation!

Cheers and thanks for the recipe OP!

I just decided to make this my next beer. One variable I have seen being discussed was the yeast. Several of those mentioned I have but I wanna be radical!! Woo hoo! Lol

I have seen the choices of the chico strains, so-4 and wlp007, and wyeast 1272. I was wondering if anyone had used Cry Havoc with this recipe?

I just got some and after reading very little about this stuff I am willing to try it out. Just wondered about any personal experience you guys may have had with the yeast in general AND with this beer.

Just brewed this one again on Saturday using a (mostly) extract recipe, and 1272 for the yeast. This is my first beer since last summer. I'm ready to get back into brewing again!

I just decided to make this my next beer. One variable I have seen being discussed was the yeast. Several of those mentioned I have but I wanna be radical!! Woo hoo! Lol

I have seen the choices of the chico strains, so-4 and wlp007, and wyeast 1272. I was wondering if anyone had used Cry Havoc with this recipe?

I just got some and after reading very little about this stuff I am willing to try it out. Just wondered about any personal experience you guys may have had with the yeast in general AND with this beer.

Disclaimer, not a perfect yeast for this beer but it will work well.

Cry havoc is an awesome yeast. It works well for this beer too. Mid 60s is pretty clean more like Chico ale but not as hop forward. 68-71 is mild British ale characteristics, much above 72-73 and you get some off flavors but that was true of all yeasts to me. And yes, you can lager with this one too, mild sulfur character and everything (and if you come a little high on the temp for lager yeast it doesn't really kick out off flavors, just less lager yeast characteristics). It's been a while since I've used this one but I do love it.

Disclaimer, not a perfect yeast for this beer but it will work well.

Cry havoc is an awesome yeast. It works well for this beer too. Mid 60s is pretty clean more like Chico ale but not as hop forward. 68-71 is mild British ale characteristics, much above 72-73 and you get some off flavors but that was true of all yeasts to me. And yes, you can lager with this one too, mild sulfur character and everything (and if you come a little high on the temp for lager yeast it doesn't really kick out off flavors, just less lager yeast characteristics). It's been a while since I've used this one but I do love it.

Over a decade brewing, and have written about the history of Papazian's famous yeast.... and I STILL haven't actually used Cry Havoc yet. damn, just realized that.

Just brewed this today, a few alterations: hop extract for bittering, moved the 1 min hop addition to flameout and did 1/2 hr hopstand because I think it's critical for any IPA. Pitched s05 and will dry hop with 1 oz because I hate having leftover hops.

Just brewed this today, a few alterations: hop extract for bittering, moved the 1 min hop addition to flameout and did 1/2 hr hopstand because I think it's critical for any IPA. Pitched s05 and will dry hop with 1 oz because I hate having leftover hops.

How many ml of hop extract did you use. I use around 25-30ml to bitter on a Pliny clone. Just curious how much you used.

I brewed Norther Brewers all grain clone about 2 months ago and poured a pint last night. I haven't compared it side by side to the real thing but it tastes great. I think the key is the Rahr 2 row...I never realized how much different it is from Briess.

Bells2HeartedClone.jpg

Brewed this today with a slightly different hop schedule. Missed the OG by a small amount. Hoping this turns out well to make it my always on tap kinda beer.

I can't remember how much extract I used. The equivalent IBUS to the ounce of centennial in the recipe for bittering.

Brewed this yesterday. Had all kind of (bleep)ing issues. I'm in the process of converting to a BIAB/No sparge process. I can only batch sparge in my 10 gallon cooler with a grain bill this large...and I don't have my MLT specific bag yet....so I used a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. BIG MISTAKE. Bag wasn't long enough, got dough balls, grain came out of bag, stuck sparge, etc. Thankfully I had been drinking and was in a "F'it, whatever" frame of mind. I got a 1.049 OG on 5.5 gallons (preboil was a pitiful 1.036). So this should be a very weak, very poor copy. Maybe it will drink good :(:confused:

Question, can you still harvest yeast from Bells TH? Bought a six pack to try harvesting so I can make this, I don't see any sediment on the bottom of the bottles.

Thanks

Back